Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    The problem is that Conan's audience is Dave's audience. Letterman fans probably switched over to see Conan at 12:30 and aren't leaving Dave to watch Conan at the same time.

I hope NBC gives him more time, though. Maybe boot Andy.
    My unscientific poll of one person (me) tells me that former loyal Dave watchers are watching Conan most of the time instead.

According to this source, it's not just me. Conan's winning the 18-49 group six of the last seven weeks:
    http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/12/17...ts-18-49/36601
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The problem is that Conan's audience is Dave's audience. Letterman fans probably switched over to see Conan at 12:30 and aren't leaving Dave to watch Conan at the same time.

I used to be a Letterman at 11:35 guy, then switch to Conan at 12:35. However now that they are head to head, its Conan in a landslide for me. Letterman just meant I wasn't listening to Jay Leno. Conan is someone I really enjoy.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I think the problem is that Jay Leno is taking the air out of the Tonight Show.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    My unscientific poll of one person (me) tells me that former loyal Dave watchers are watching Conan most of the time instead.

According to this source, it's not just me. Conan's winning the 18-49 group six of the last seven weeks:
    The same site has Dave beating Conan in the 25-54 demo:
    CBS’s LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN topped “The Tonight Show” in viewers and adults 25-54 while THE LATE LATE SHOW with CRAIG FERGUSON placed first in viewers and key demos (tied), according to Nielsen live plus same day ratings for the week ending Dec. 1.

It doesn't really matter to me. I like Conan over Jay and hope he gets a real shot at the 11:30 slot, but now that they're head to head, I'll pick Dave every time.

I like Lopez Tonight on TNT, and Craig Ferguson. Leno and Conan reminds me I seen these same skits before when Carson and Lettermen did them first.

I kinda like the Seinfeld idea. Come to think of it, it's odd that there hasn't been a Jewish late-night host, unless you count John Stewart on Comedy Central. Carson, Letterman, Leno, Fallon, O'Brian, Fergurson, Steve Allen -- all goyim AFAIK. Not sure about Jack Parr.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I kinda like the Seinfeld idea. Come to think of it, it's odd that there hasn't been a Jewish late-night host, unless you count John Stewart on Comedy Central. Carson, Letterman, Leno, Fallon, O'Brian, Fergurson, Steve Allen -- all goyim AFAIK. Not sure about Jack Parr.
    Joan Rivers and Larry Sanders.

Jack Paar, not a member of the tribe.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post

Jerry Lewis lasted a few days.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post

Larry Sanders wasn't real, was he?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Larry Sanders wasn't real, was he?
    As real as Liz Lemon is.
    Stick to your guns.

I'm a former loyal Letterman watcher who would be watching Conan if I got to stay up that late anymore. Back when I was getting off work at one AM, I really grew to like him. It'd be a shame if NBC pulled the plug now--remember, his late, late gig took a while to take off too.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I think the problem is that Jay Leno is taking the air out of the Tonight Show.
    I hadn't considered that, but you may be onto something. Perhaps people are getting their late night talk/comedy show fix by 11:00pm and then moving on to something else after the news goes off?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I hadn't considered that, but you may be onto something. Perhaps people are getting their late night talk/comedy show fix by 11:00pm and then moving on to something else after the news goes off?
    Or, maybe, some of Leno's audience hasn't migrated to Conan because they're watching Jay early and not watching anything later.

Jay's show is a whole different bag of worms -- NBC needs to do something with that because it's tanking their weeknight lineups.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

When Letterman and Leno went head-to-head, I'd watch Dave and then pop over to Jay during commericals. I used to think "say, Leno isn't all that bad".

And then I tried to watch Leno's 10 pm show. Man, I made it about a day and then said "I can't take this, what a bunch of pap". Ugh. IMO, NBC has made a bunch of bad decisions. Maybe Comcast will breathe some new life (or at least some sense) into them. I think they still need to let it sort out. Replacing Conan would be a knee-jerk reaction.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

If those numbers chili posted are true, NBC should be delerious with those numbers. That is the group that buys stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Jay's show is a whole different bag of worms -- NBC needs to do something with that because it's tanking their weeknight lineups.
    That's it right there. It's not that Conan is failing, it's that Leno's show is tanking. NBC has a big commitment to Leno but this show of his is so bad it's killing local news shows on NBC affiliates. The Seinfeld thing seems like misdirection to me and the Conan criticism is justification for dropping him. What probably will happen is that NBC will finally have enough of Leno's show and drop him back into the 11:30 spot. Sucks for Conan, though. I don't watch a lot of these late night shows but his show seems pretty good. (And so does Fallon to my surprise.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?