Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Re: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

I hadn't heard that NBC was down on Conan. But I wouldn't mind if this happens:

NBC cans Conan.

Dave moves to 10:00 slot.

CBS picks up Conan for 11:30 slot.

CBS ends up with Dave, Conan, and Craig and I don't have to mess with the remote.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I hadn't heard that NBC was down on Conan. But I wouldn't mind if this happens:

NBC cans Conan.

Dave moves to 10:00 slot.

CBS picks up Conan for 11:30 slot.

CBS ends up with Dave, Conan, and Craig and I don't have to mess with the remote.
    I guess -- but you'd have the same problem on CBS that you have on NBC: you're getting the same show once at 10:00 and again at 11:30.

The problem isn't Leno or Conan -- the problem is that both shows have the exact same format. Monologue, skit, celebrity interview, skit / second guest, credits. Even if both shows are well done, the viewer is going to get tired of watching the same thing twice in one night.

If Leno was doing more of a variety show, it might work -- but his format is essentially unchanged from his Tonight Show days. Either he has to change or Conan has to change because there isn't room for two of them on the same network, plus Dave and the late-nighter (Fallon & Ferguson). It's too much.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Joan Rivers and Larry Sanders.

Jack Paar, not a member of the tribe.
    If you count Joan Rivers you can count Joey Bishop. Both short-lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What probably will happen is that NBC will finally have enough of Leno's show and drop him back into the 11:30 spot.
    And return Jay back to hosting The Tonight Show? I just don't see that happening. I think the "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" ship has sailed.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I think more then likely they will let Leno go and he'll end up somewhere else with an 11:30 show.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    And return Jay back to hosting The Tonight Show? I just don't see that happening. I think the "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" ship has sailed.

Exactly. I'm not saying it's right. Lord knows Leno had his problems when he first started and there were some execs at NBC who were ready to pull the plug on him. But he survived and eventually thrived. The easy solution - if they percieve there's a problem - is that they boot Conan and pay him off then drop Leno back into his old spot. He's a known quantity and he's more mainstream than Conan. The thing you need to know about Leno is that he craves work. When he did stand up he was on the road nearly every night in one club or another. He certainly didn't take a lot of vacations when he was on the Tonight Show. If they cancel his show, he isn't going to be happy to just get paid off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Leno was #1 for close to 15 years. He was at the top of his game, and now they have this muddled mess that makes no sense.

Not sure how you fix this....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Leno was #1 for close to 15 years. He was at the top of his game, and now they have this muddled mess that makes no sense.

Dump Conan and Leno, hire Kilborn to do two hours.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I could see it happening. It's all about ratings and money, and if NBC can make more of it by putting Leno back on The Tonight Show, they will do so.

I've never cared for Conan, since he took over I've stopped watching The Tonight Show.

Was Leno ahead of Letterman when he left the 11:30 time slot? I thought Letterman had surpassed him

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I could see it happening. It's all about ratings and money, and if NBC can make more of it by putting Leno back on The Tonight Show, they will do so.

I've never cared for Conan, since he took over I've stopped watching The Tonight Show.
    I know a lot of folks that agree with you. It makes me wonder how Conan's gotten this far

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I know a lot of folks that agree with you. It makes me wonder how Conan's gotten this far
    Because he is hilarious. Jay Leno makes me want to go to sleep with his jokes that aren't funny.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because he is hilarious. Jay Leno makes me want to go to sleep with his jokes that aren't funny.
    The ratings don't agree with you. It appears his ratings are lower than Jay's ever were in that time slot

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The ratings don't agree with you. It appears his ratings are lower than Jay's ever were in that time slot
    That is because everyone who watched Jay is still watching Jay. How would Leno's ratings have looked when he took over for JC if JC still kept a show, but moved up to 10? Even more ugly than they actually were. Instead, Jay picked up a LOT of JC's viewers. Conan isn't getting hardly any of Leno's old viewers because they are still watching Leno on the same channel.

Larry Sanders wasn't real, was he?
    No, but Shandling was the co-permanent guest host with Leno for awhile in the 80's. And he was much better.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?