Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Saltalamacchia called up; will Laird finally be dealt?

Saltalamacchia called up; will Laird finally be dealt?

Per MLBtraderumors.com:

REDS mentioned!!!

"Jarrod Saltalamacchia has been called up, and GM Jon Daniels has no plans for him to warm the bench. Salty performed well at AAA Oklahoma, and when backup backstop Adam Melhuse broke a bone in his hand on Thursday, the call-up seemed imminent. However, incumbent Rangers catcher Gerald Laird has also been solid to start the season. Given the organization's desire to get Saltalamacchia regular at-bats and the lackluster hitting of first baseman Ben Broussard, I think it's likely that the defensively sub-par Salty will see at least some time at the "cold corner."

But with the Rangers off to an absolutely abysmal start--Buster Olney cites a scout today saying that the team looks "out of control"--we have to wonder when the Rangers will open up the treasure chest and share some of their backstop bounty with the rest of the league. As previously noted in this space, the team is expected to be sellers come July. In addition to Laird and Saltalamacchia, the Rangers also have three decent catching prospects. With catching talent so scarce, other GMs will likely come knocking sooner rather than later. Rumors about Laird have been flying to and fro since Texas acquired Saltalamacchia in the Mark Teixeira deal last summer, but Salty's call-up means the clock has officially started ticking. Although Daniels said recently he wasn't planning on trading Laird, I have a feeling he's just playing hard to get. Some possible suitors? The Reds, the Mets, the Blue Jays, or the Red Sox."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Saltalamacchia called up; will Laird finally be dealt?

While I'd love for the Reds to get Laird, I see Salty and my boy Broussard platooning @ 1B and Laird continuing to get consistent PT behind the dish.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Why would Laird be better than Ross/Bako?

Am I missing something (aside from his lifetime .676 OPS)?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

No thanks on Laird now. At this point I prefer they target a young catching prospect, someone like a Jeff Mathis or Jeff Clement.

Just say no.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

The Rangers refused to trade Laird for Coco Crisp. I'm not sure what the Reds could send them to acquire Laird. I have a feeling that the Reds are going with Bako & Ross for the season.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    The Rangers refused to trade Laird for Coco Crisp. I'm not sure what the Reds could send them to acquire Laird. I have a feeling that the Reds are going with Bako & Ross for the season.
    My understanding is that the Red Sox turned that down early in the offseason, when they were hanging onto Crisp in case they could swing a Santana deal.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    My understanding is that the Red Sox turned that down early in the offseason, when they were hanging onto Crisp in case they could swing a Santana deal.
    I just heard different yesterday, so who knows?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Do you think Jocketty might try prying Bryan Anderson from the Cards? I'm sure he knows him... Only problem is Anderson bats lefty and anyone you deal FOR him may come back to haunt you since it's in the division. I'm thinking if/when Dunn gets traded he's gonna go on a tear...I wouldn't want to be the opposition when that happens.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    the lackluster hitting of first baseman Ben Broussard
    Ben's just waiting until he can face Cincy to get 'player of the game' honors

(again)
    Never overlook the obvious

Turn Off Ads?