Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusty, worst manager (Maxim)

Dusty, worst manager (Maxim)

Ok, so its maxim, but they make good points in their selection

link

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty, worst manager (Maxim)

Well Dusty wanted Patterson and Hairston here and all of a sudden Patterson is hitting leadoff, that gets Freel, Hopper seeing limited playing time and looking bad while supporting that Bruce just isn’t good enough yet.

Next we see centerfielder and the ss frequently hitting one two in the order whether they are good in those positions or not. Then we see Hairston come up and man centerfield, then second base, then ss.

Clearly Dusty had a plan and is implementing it such as batting Dunn down in the order so Dusty could live with his theory of shortstop and centerfielder batting one two. Keeping Bruce down so that his Patterson love won’t risk being challenged.

He had the free swinging Phillips creating bad habits as the cleanup hitter even though he is not a cleanup hitter, now Phillips is reported as being frustrated and hitting poorly. Dusty appeased Griffey and allows him to continue to hit third and the results have been less than desirable especially against left handed pitchers, Dusty apparently doesn’t feel that Encarcion would do well hitting third, while he speaks of Phillips being a good hitter with power, not a power hitter who can hit well to right, though Phillips can’t bat 2(or sixth or seventh) behind Keppinger who clearly exposes Patterson as a poor leadoff choice.

Doesn’t matter what the stats or performances say, Dusty is going to stick to his old boys and old theories that don’t work unless you have the right people.

Dusty manipulates the players so that their performances eventually supports his agenda and theories, he works against bringing out the best in his players in lieu of his fixations and obsessions.

He had little choice but to go with Cueto, Volquez and Votto thank god, or it could be worse.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-26-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Dusty manages as poorly as this team is playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I think he's done ok with exception of his lineups which are really really bad.

Maxim's parroting a bunch of tired analysis and jumping on the band wagon.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Dusty manages as poorly as this team is playing.
    The ole fox is pretty good at giving players x, y or z limited playing time to effect their timing etc, which feeds support to his choice of Patterson and Hairston to begin with. Hopper, Freel, Hatteberg, Dunn, Valetin, Bruce and now Phillips just can’t get the job done. Watch Dusty’s actions then cross check them with his words, of course the results somehow are “groundhog day” and nothing more to Dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I don't think that we need outsiders to see what we see ourselves within the results on the playing field.

Pitching coach handles pitchers
    Hitting coach handles hitters
    Fielding coach handles fielding

Dusty, well he makes out the lineups and puts players in the best position for them to produce and succeed. The reults to date are what they are.

On pitching what choice did they have other than Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez and Fogg/Belisle? Not much, so I don't see how Dusty has done much well to date. Flowery words don't convince, results do, they are objective.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Pitching coach handles pitchers
    Hitting coach handles hitters
    Fielding coach handles fielding

Dusty, well he makes out the lineups
    That's a massive over simplification.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

That's a massive over simplification.
    Sure it is, but my over simplications are not the problem. Dusty's over simplications are a contributing problem.

Numerous people far more adapt at stats and deeper students of the game than I can come on this thread and tell us sophisticated objective reasons why or why not the following:

Patterson doesn't leadoff or belong on this team
    Dunn should not be hitting down in the order
    Phillips doesn't belong hitting cleanup
    Griffey doesn't belong hitting third anymore
    Encarcion should be hitting up in the order
    Keppinger should be hitting leadoff
    How taking playing time away from players hurts their ability to perform
    How doing things wrong effects the RSvsRA and wins/losses
    How losses lead to a team with apathy and frequent gaffs in individual performance
    Hairston duplication of Freel and Hopper types
    Hatteberg left handed hitter platoon with a left handed Votto

Dusty's over simplications of just hitting SS and CF one two in the order and other examples that I don't have right now at the tip of my fingers is a contributing problem.

I agree totally; but I loved this from the article. How prophetic....

And there will be bunts. Hundreds of bunts. Bunts everywhere. Dusty will be to the bunt what Alexis de Tocqueville was to democracy.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-26-2008 at 08:03 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I think that we fans miss the pieces that go into making a recipe for good outcomes, when I can off the top of my head list 11 grocery items that Dusty incorporates into his recipe for winning in error, surely there are more brighter than I can that come up with and support why Dusty is wrong.

When Dusty puts his 11 little things, 11 little pieces, erroneous ingredients into the lineup and it comes out tasting like losing. Something needs to be done.

Maxim doesn't like Dusty? What's the matter, doesn't he show enough cleavage?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Maxim doesn't like Dusty? What's the matter, doesn't he show enough cleavage?
    I just knew that you were a closet Dusty Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I think that we fans miss the pieces that go into making a recipe for good outcomes, when I can off the top of my head list 11 grocery items that Dusty incorporates into his recipe for winning in error, surely there are more brighter than I can that come up with and support why Dusty is wrong.

When Dusty puts his 11 little things, 11 little pieces, erroneous ingredients into the lineup and it comes out tasting like losing. Something needs to be done.
    Your list is redundant.

Obviously if some guys need to move up then by logical extension others will have to move down. They aren't separate and distinct events.

Your list is redundant.

Obviously if some guys need to move up then by logical extension others will have to move down. They aren't separate and distinct events.
    True

It is redundant and superfluous.

That is what I have gleamed from others on RZ and seen in the management decisions game to game.

Much of the problems with this team are redundant.

Of course if the same eight are played a natural flow of up or down would follow as a natural consequence.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I've been pleasantly surprised in his lack of use of marginal players like Freel and Hopper as well as Valentin. You could bet that Narron and Mackanin would use those players a lot. I don't like the Patterson and Hairston acquisitions, but this team's problems have not been the manager this time.

I also liked that he didn't wait for Coffey to get his brain beaten out tonight in this game. He went straight to Cordero who made one bad pitch.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?