Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trade Rumor- Will Saltemacchia Callup lead to Laird Trade

Trade Rumor- Will Saltemacchia Callup lead to Laird Trade

Will Salty Callup Lead To Laird Trade?

Jarrod Saltalamacchia has been called up, and GM Jon Daniels has no plans for him to warm the bench. Salty performed well at AAA Oklahoma, and when backup backstop Adam Melhuse broke a bone in his hand on Thursday, the call-up seemed imminent. However, incumbent Rangers catcher Gerald Laird has also been solid to start the season. Given the organization's desire to get Saltalamacchia regular at-bats and the lackluster hitting of first baseman Ben Broussard, I think it's likely that the defensively sub-par Salty will see at least some time at the "cold corner."

But with the Rangers off to an absolutely abysmal start--Buster Olney cites a scout today saying that the team looks "out of control"--we have to wonder when the Rangers will open up the treasure chest and share some of their backstop bounty with the rest of the league. As previously noted in this space, the team is expected to be sellers come July. In addition to Laird and Saltalamacchia, the Rangers also have three decent catching prospects. With catching talent so scarce, other GMs will likely come knocking sooner rather than later. Rumors about Laird have been flying to and fro since Texas acquired Saltalamacchia in the Mark Teixeira deal last summer, but Salty's call-up means the clock has officially started ticking. Although Daniels said recently he wasn't planning on trading Laird, I have a feeling he's just playing hard to get. Some possible suitors? The Reds, the Mets, the Blue Jays, or the Red Sox.

I would be thrilled if the Reds could work out a trade to get Gerald Laird. We need catching help in the worst way.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Rumor- Will Saltemacchia Callup lead to Laird Trade

I'm all for it, and then some. Trade Coffey for Laird, straight up.

J/K

Get it done!!! I won't be happy until the Reds have five catchers.

"I mean, what will we do if our numbers one through four catchers go down in the middle of a game? What would we do then, huh? HUH!?!"

Laird or especially Salty would be pretty awesome to get. If their indeed available the Reds should pursue them pretty hard.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

We need catching help?

Really... how much better would Laird be over a Ross?
    Why should give up a prospect for a catcher that's basically the same hitter. I doubt Laird is better defensively....

Last year, Laird hit
    .224 .278 .349 64 OPS+
    Last year Ross hit
    .203 .271 .399 68 OPS+

I don't see any big difference.....

In his career Laird hit
    .247 .300 .376 75 OPS+
    In his career Ross hit
    .222 .300 .447 90 OPS+

Again... why does this make sense?

And we're not getting Salty. The Rangers gave up Texiera to get him, do you really want to give up Votto or Bailey for Salty? It's not worth it

thorn

If you can trade, say Javy and Coffee for Laird, do it. You can even put Ross in that mix instead of Javy if you prefer. I think the money saved would be worth the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    If you can trade, say Javy and Coffee for Laird, do it. You can even put Ross in that mix instead of Javy if you prefer. I think the money saved would be worth the trade.
    The reason Laird would be avaliable is because Texas would have too many catchers so why would they want a catcher in return?

Old Red Guard Reject

I don't see this as a fit. It looks like speculation on the part of MLBTR. At the start of the year, with Ross on the DL and Javy not much more than a PH, the Reds maybe were a fit. But with Bako holding the fort down and Ross back, Laird is not an option. If anything the Reds maybe are looking for an upgrade. Laird ain't it.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

No one is gunna want Todd Coffey

Starbucks might?

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Really... how much better would Laird be over a Ross?
    Why should give up a prospect for a catcher that's basically the same hitter. I doubt Laird is better defensively....

Last year, Laird hit
    .224 .278 .349 64 OPS+
    Last year Ross hit
    .203 .271 .399 68 OPS+

I don't see any big difference.....

In his career Laird hit
    .247 .300 .376 75 OPS+
    In his career Ross hit
    .222 .300 .447 90 OPS+

Again... why does this make sense?

And we're not getting Salty. The Rangers gave up Texiera to get him, do you really want to give up Votto or Bailey for Salty? It's not worth it
    I agree that they're pretty similar on the field; however, Laird is 2.5 years younger than Ross, and he makes $1 million less than Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by birty74 View Post
    Get it done!!! I won't be happy until the Reds have five catchers.

"I mean, what will we do if our numbers one through four catchers go down in the middle of a game? What would we do then, huh? HUH!?!"
    Hey birty. Your stealing my moniker.
    HUH?
    UH-HUH?
    HUHUH!
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Turn Off Ads?