Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Who has Paul Bako in the MVP race?

Who has Paul Bako in the MVP race?

I keep waiting for Mr. Bako to turn into a pumpkin, but he keeps hanging on supplying good play behind the plate. He currently leads the team in OPS and win shares (4). To be honest, I didn't think he would get 4 win shares for the year.

Beyond the hitting, his defensive numbers aren't bad either. He's thrown out 7 base runners (he threw out 7 all last year) and his CERA is in the mid-3's.

As bad as things are for this Reds team: without Bako they'd be alot worse.

Opportunities will even his numbers out....but for now the Reds MVP is a 35 year old back up catcher with a lifetime OPS of .631.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who has Paul Bako in the MVP race?

Honestly I think you have to put Edwin up there also or even more so than Bako. As bad as his fielding has been, EE is the 4th best hitting 3rd baseman in all of baseball. And Bako's splits are pretty bad, Edwin's are very good. Bako's been much better than any of us expected, but he's still been pretty much a platoon guy.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

EE and Bako are 1-2 in WPA (Win Probability added)

http://www.fangraphs.com/winss.aspx?...ds&season=2008

The numbers, from what I've seen, don't include defense and EE has not been good there. Bako's been Ok behind the plate, but has been awful trying to throw out runners lately.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Bako's game calling and handling of the young pitchers are his most important skills. Those won't regress to the norm.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Bako's game calling and handling of the young pitchers are his most important skills. Those won't regress to the norm.
    Probably not, but when his O hits norm land his game calling might not be enough to keep him on the field.
    Go Gators!

Keep riding the hot bat. No reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Probably not, but when his O hits norm land his game calling might not be enough to keep him on the field.
    Normally I'd agree, but the aternatives are no better. May as well have the best defender and that's Bako by a wide margin IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Did I read/hear somewhere that Jocketty doesn't like the 3 catchers per roster?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Normally I'd agree, but the aternatives are no better. May as well have the best defender and that's Bako by a wide margin IMO.
    He blocks balls better than Ross, but I'm not sure if there are many guys playing right now that are better than Ross in terms of throwing out runners. It's not just his arm, he gets rid of the ball so quick. His footwork is fantastic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    He blocks balls better than Ross, but I'm not sure if there are many guys playing right now that are better than Ross in terms of throwing out runners. It's not just his arm, he gets rid of the ball so quick. His footwork is fantastic IMO.
    You throw runners out at second once in a while. You receive the ball on every pitch. If I have to choose, I'll take the receiver.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    You throw runners out at second once in a while. You receive the ball on every pitch. If I have to choose, I'll take the receiver.
    True. I was just pointing out that Ross isn't worthless behind the plate. I still say straight platoon the two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    True. I was just pointing out that Ross isn't worthless behind the plate. I still say straight platoon the two of them.
    I agree with this completely. Get rid of Javy and bring someone else in.

I agree with moving Javy. I'm quite comfortable with Bako and Ross platooning, esp with Bako getting the bulk of the play, at least while his bat is hot. He keeps hitting, he keeps playing. Simple and elegant.

As for Bako and MVP - well that is really silly looking forward at the whole season but to this point it's a very valid argument. He's earned his pay and then some so far.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I agree with moving Javy. I'm quite comfortable with Bako and Ross platooning, esp with Bako getting the bulk of the play, at least while his bat is hot. He keeps hitting, he keeps playing. Simple and elegant.

As for Bako and MVP - well that is really silly looking forward at the whole season but to this point it's a very valid argument. He's earned his pay and then some so far.
    I say keep Javy and send Hatte out. If Hatte can't PH, he adds nothing to the team. No speed, no defense, no versatility. At least Javy is a switch hitter (I admit he isn't much from the right side) who has at least gotten an occasional PH in the past and can catch if needed. Plenty of guys to play 1B behind Votto. Besides, Hatte may bring something potentially useful. Javy will be a straight DFA followed by a release.

Turn Off Ads?