Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Checking in on the sleepers so far

Checking in on the sleepers so far

I'm on record as supporting 4 guys as sleepers this year:

Carlos Fisher

Not good so far in AA. 12 IP, 3BB, 9K, 1 HR all look OK, but ERA of 6.00 with a BABIP of .342. Last year Fisher had a BABIP of .350 in AA when he seemed to get roughed up frequently. I get the feeling at the more advanced level some of his hittable pitches are getting hit instead of fooling lower level hitters. I'm still hopeful, but the 6-4, 220 LB frame seemed to suggest workhorse innings eater and the move to the pen seems to dispel that hope. Now that he's a reliever who is getting hit around, I've cooled on him a bit. I'm still hopeful he can develop into a multi-inning reliever who will be an asset while he's cheap.

Ben Jukich

A forgotten man LH starter who is more crafty than overpowering. I think WK targeted this guy as the PTBNL in the Deno deal. He was 8-2 last year with a 3.55 ERA in 14 starts at Sarasota after he was acquired. in 76 IP, he held opposition to 6.99 H/9, 3.2 BB/9 and a miniscule .24 HR/9. All the while he was putting up a respectable 8.41 K/9. Those are all good numbers.

This year in AA, in 27.2 IP, he has a 2.60 ERA, with 18K and 13 BB. He's allowed only 1 HR. His GB % dropped from the awesome 65% last year at Sarasota to a more normal 47% this year. The drop in GB rate and the K/BB ratio are a little concerning, but he's doing ok so far.

Adam Rosales

A really slow start at AAA. .197/.244/.268/.512 in 75 PA. At least he's not tethered to 1B anymore and has a chance to still be a useful RH bat that can play multiple positions. He needs to get it going.

Jake Long

Not the 1st pick in the NFL Draft, but a catcher at Dayton and the deep, deep sleeper of this bunch. 22 YO, RH Bat who is 6-0, 180 LBS. He went .275/.382/.422/.804 in 124 PA at Billings in 2007. He's at .324/.342/.378/.720 in kind of an empty batting average type year so far at Dayton. He's had 38 PA and I think he needs to play more. I'm not sure about his defense.

I'll grade my choices as good so far with Jukich, OK with Long, poor with Fisher and give me an abysmal with Rosales.

How are your sleepers doing?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Checking in on the sleepers so far

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

I tuck them under my pillow during the day, thank you very much.

How about which players are performing like sleepers? I'd say:

Justin Turner (gets little love on this board, despite consistently good performance), Danny Ray Herrera (more or less ignored in discussion of the Hamilton-Volquez trade), Shaun Cumberland (completely ignored in the tortured exegesis of the Cantu-Medlock transaction).

Not sayin I called breakouts from these guys, cuz I didn't. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm on record as supporting 4 guys as sleepers this year:

Ben Jukich

A forgotten man LH starter who is more crafty than overpowering. I think WK targeted this guy as the PTBNL in the Deno deal. He was 8-2 last year with a 3.55 ERA in 14 starts at Sarasota after he was acquired. in 76 IP, he held opposition to 6.99 H/9, 3.2 BB/9 and a miniscule .24 HR/9. All the while he was putting up a respectable 8.41 K/9. Those are all good numbers.

This year in AA, in 27.2 IP, he has a 2.60 ERA, with 18K and 13 BB. He's allowed only 1 HR. His GB % dropped from the awesome 65% last year at Sarasota to a more normal 47% this year. The drop in GB rate and the K/BB ratio are a little concerning, but he's doing ok so far.

Please remember that two of the BB yesterday were intentional.

I forgot Keltavious Jones -- will play all year at 21, and he's on fire in Dayton. He's so hot he's keltavious.

I think it's time to move Sarasota's up the middle players to AA. 3 of the top 4
    hitters in the FSL are 1. Valaika (.359) 2. Turner (.354) and 4. Stubbs (.348).
    Valaika can play SS at the next level. Castro(.250) and Anderson(.197) are not
    putting up good numbers at all. Stubbs power numbers will get better in AA.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I forgot Keltavious Jones -- will play all year at 21, and he's on fire in Dayton. He's so hot he's keltavious.
    I laughed out loud at that.

I had two guys named Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce, anyone know how they are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I had two guys named Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce, anyone know how they are doing?
    Never heard of them....link? Source? Scouting reports?
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I laughed out loud at that.
    Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. That was danged funny.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?