Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Freel Now!

Trade Freel Now!

He is batting .318 after going 2-for-2 so far today. Please take advantage of this hot streak and move him NOW!
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Freel Now!

I may be in the minority here but I'd keep Freel as long as our alternatives are Hairston, Patterson, Hopper, etc.

He won't keep hitting .300 but I can see him around .275 with a .350 OBP playing adequate defense at multiple positions.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    I may be in the minority here but I'd keep Freel as long as our alternatives are Hairston, Patterson, Hopper, etc.

He won't keep hitting .300 but I can see him around .275 with a .350 OBP playing adequate defense at multiple positions.
    Me too. If you can dump his contract and get a useful return ok, but no need for a purge. He's better than Hopper and probably better than Hairston. He and Patterson would make an adequate platoon IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd say move him out...btw, Smoltz went down in his start for the Braves...Arroyo would look good in a Braves Uni.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Arroyo would look GREAT in a Braves Uni.
    Fixed that for ya

Seriously though, I wonder what kind of return he might fetch this time around. What about that OF they drafted in the first round last year? Or maybe Brent Lillebridge and JoJo Reyes? Better yet, how about Yunel Escobar?

I'd try and let him string together a couple of decent starts before you move him however, as I wouldn't want to sell the bottom. Maybe package him with one of our pyrite prospects like Maloney, Szymanski or even Francisco. I also wonder if maybe he isn't hurt, or would at least be well served by a short DL-stint to let him regain strength in his arm. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-27-2008 at 08:53 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd move Freel ASAP. These "super-sub" types who can play multiple positions are a dime a dozen and can be easily found, and you won't need to pay them $3-$4 million per year. In fact, when Gonzo comes back, the Reds will have one named Jeff Keppinger. Keppinger will pretty much stay in the lineup every day, spelling someone.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I'd move Freel ASAP. These "super-sub" types who can play multiple positions are a dime a dozen and can be easily found, and you won't need to pay them $3-$4 million per year.
    True. But that is why it's gonna be extremely hard to move a Ryan Freel. Why trade for, and pay this guy 3 mil/yr when they are plentiful all over the place much cheaper?

Another extension WK shouldn't have done IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Unless cash or valuable prospects go with him, the Reds will have to take on another team's albatross to make a Freel deal work.
    /r/reds

Freel had a sub-par and injured season in 2007, makes some mistakes on the bases, and is owed a lot of money.

But as a utility player I think he's very good. Plays a lot of positions decently and has the ability to go on hot streaks at the plate.

The Reds bench is currently two catchers, a first baseman, Freel and Hairston.

It would be a mistake to let Freel go. Keep him for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Freel had a sub-par and injured season in 2007, makes some mistakes on the bases, and is owed a lot of money.

But as a utility player I think he's very good. Plays a lot of positions decently and has the ability to go on hot streaks at the plate.

The Reds bench is currently two catchers, a first baseman, Freel and Hairston.

It would be a mistake to let Freel go. Keep him for this year.
    Don't forget about Hopper!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I'd move Freel ASAP. .
    My thoughts exactly. Dump Freel for anything to the first bidder willing to absorb his salary.
    I doubt such a team exists though.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Here's an idea:

The Padres are looking for a CF, as Jim Edmonds is on his last leg. According to mlbtraderumors.com, they are also contemplating a fire sale, in which they'd attempt to dump almost every veteran on their team while retaining Gonzalez, Peavy and Young. What about a Freel-for-Randy Wolf swap? Their salaries are a wash, and each team fills a need. The Reds get a lefty to replace Cueto or Arroyo in the rotation in case either of them continues to struggle. I think it's clear at this point that Josh Fogg cannot be a viable option for the rotation on a team that intends to contend. Meanwhile, that buys Bailey more time to refine his stuff in AAA until the weather warms up. The Padres get a CF who can run and is now batting .320 on the year.
    Go BLUE!!!

as Jim Edmonds is on his last leg....
    Somewhere George Grande is seething with rage for such flippant disrespect.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 04-30-2008 at 03:00 PM.

I think the Mets would be a good fit for Freel.

He'd get lots of time at 2nd base for Castillo, who can't play everyday with his bad knees. Freel could also spell Pagan and Church in the OF. He's a better option than Damian Easley, who the Mets are currently using as a utility man.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I think the Mets would be a good fit for Freel.

He'd get lots of time at 2nd base for Castillo, who can't play everyday with his bad knees. Freel could also spell Pagan and Church in the OF. He's a better option than Damian Easley, who the Mets are currently using as a utility man.
    Freel and Hatteberg for Aaron Heilman? One can dream...
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?