View Poll Results: Hamilton for Volquez

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd make the trade

123 89.78%
  • No, I wouldn't make the trade

14 10.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Still Trade Volquez for Hamilton?

Senor Votto

Would You Still Trade Volquez for Hamilton?

Volquez is 4-0 with 33 K's and no homer's given up.

Hamilton is batting over .300 while leading the ML with 27 RBI's. And 5 Homers.

If Texas didn't want anyone else except Hamilton would you still make this trade?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Old Red Guard Reject

Re: Would You Still Trade Volquez for Hamilton?

I would try to see if they would take Dunn, as mentioned by everyone else, but yeah I would trade Hamilton for Volquez.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Both are off to good starts...hope it continues for both...
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Yes everyday. We needed young, effective pitching more than offense at a primary position. While both were needs at the time, pitching beats offense every time. Volquez is outright dominant, possible ace potential. His question mark was control, and he seems to have answered it.

Hamilton could still relapse at any time, that's a question that won't be completely answered for a while.

Of course.

Yes no questions
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Much too soon to tell so i didnt vote.

Everybody needs to slow down the train on Volquez. Lots of pitchers with decent stuff do well the first time around through teams. But once their scouted enough end up like an ARROYO.

So like i said too soon to tell. One things for sure though. Hamilton is no joke. If Volquez ends up good enough for the long haul than yes i still take the trade.

I don't understand where this "I would see if they would have taken Dunn" comment keeps getting perpetuated from...what makes anyone think the Rangers would have given away one of their top pitching prospects for one year of Adam Dunn...? While he is a great player IMO, they get a guy who's playing for a huge contract while giving up a power pitcher who's under their control for quite a while...

Would you have traded Homer Bailey in the offseason for Pat Burrell straight up? I know I wouldn't...but that's the comparison...a power pitcher that perhaps some people in the org. have soured on but with a world of potential for a low BA, high OBP slugger who's probably a liability in the field, with a large salary and one year left on his contract...

ORG Infidel

I hated to see Hamilton go but in hindsight I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

Is there anyone that would really rather have Josh Hamilton than Volquez?

It's hard to say, it will be interesting to see how their careers progress. I'll tell you what though, Hamilton would have been one of the last guys on the Reds I would have traded. Volquez seems to be the real deal and as of right now it looks like a solid trade for both sides.

Would I still make the trade? Undecided.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    ...end up like an ARROYO.
    Apples & oranges. Apples & oranges.

I'd make that trade any day of the week and twice on a Saturday.

As of right now its a no brainer. Being a Cincy fan everyone should realize pitchers performing like Volquez don't come through town very often. Until Harang its hard to think back to the last time the Reds had a true ace. Some could argue Neagle, Burba, Schourek, Smiley but I'd say you have to go back to Rijo or Browning's prime.

I'm not saying Volquez is the real thing yet. God knows with the current MLB scouting capabilities some team could find a way hes tipping pitches or something similar but with his heat and Pedro like change hes very nasty. If he can get that breaking ball just somewhat consistent and not leave it up I think hes ace material. Having him, Harang, Cueto, and if Bailey can put it together the Reds could have a dominant pitching staff by late in the season or next year.

I was a huge fan of Hamilton but completely understood why he was moved. The Reds crank out outfielders from the farm like crazy and always lack in the arms. If Jay Bruce wasnt in the picture I dont think the Reds would have so easily gave up Hamilton.

***I also give props to freestyle55, he did a great job of putting it in perspective. I think too often people don't think of MLB roster movements from different angle and viewpoints and seem to think its fantasy baseball.
    Last edited by Orodle; 04-28-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Much too soon to tell so i didnt vote.

Everybody needs to slow down the train on Volquez. Lots of pitchers with decent stuff do well the first time around through teams. But once their scouted enough end up like an ARROYO.

So like i said too soon to tell. One things for sure though. Hamilton is no joke. If Volquez ends up good enough for the long haul than yes i still take the trade.
    I would say Volquez's stuff is a little better than "decent'.

Truthfully, i think im in the category of wait and see still. I love EV's early domiance, buti must temper myself with the fact that 2 where against Pit and SF and the LAD where in a prolonged slump at the plate when they faced Volquez.

On the flip side, im not entirely sure Hamilton can continue playing everyday. Texas has the added luxuryto DH him or move him to LF/RFthroughout the season to lessen the wear and tear on his body that the Reds didnt have.

I really honestly believe that this will be a time will tell argument. What whill happen to EV when teams have a better scouting report on him? What will happen to Hamilton as teams learn his tendencies? Its all aboout adjustments at this point.

So far, i would do the trade and so would Texas. Its been a win win all the way around.

My biggest personal concerns are can EV maintian his ERA once he gives up the long ball and will his high BB rate eventually catch up with him?

Turn Off Ads?