Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants send Zito to pen - MERGED

Giants send Zito to pen - MERGED

Do the Giants continue to let Barry Zito get his brains beaten every time he takes the mound, or do they take what certainly will be an embarrassing public-relations hit and remove their $126 million pitcher from the rotation and try to get him right? "We're going to get together here," Bochy said. "We've got to do something different. There's no doubt about that. We can't keep doing what we're doing. We need to get together and get a game plan on what we think is best." -- SF Chronicle

OUCH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Giants considering removing their $126 million dollar man from the rotation

A big ouch.

I confess, I am ignorant about Zito.

What happened to him that he is not the pitcher that he once was? Is he hurt or what?

He's lost several miles off of his fastball. I think his fastball is around 86 mph right now whereas he used to operate around 91 or so. He was tinkering with his delivery in ST. Wouldn't surprise me if he was hurt somehow, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Along with the loss in velocity, he can no longer command his breaking ball on a consistent basis. He's just now in year two of a seven year contract. Unless he figures something out soon, this could end up as the worst contract in baseball history.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Nobody could have foreseen that Zito was on a sharp downward trajectory. Just ask any real baseball man; this course of events is a complete surprise.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Nobody could have foreseen that Zito was on a sharp downward trajectory. Just ask any real baseball man; this course of events is a complete surprise.
    I am assuming that you are being very very sarcastic.

This contract was insane from the moment it was even talked about let alone signed.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Not even a soft-tossing lefty's a sure thing anymore. What's the world coming to?
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Eric Milton to the 5th power.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I believe that the same data was used as the data which tells us that Belisle is unlucky and that he will be extremely solid this year.

So what does the worst contract list look like right now

1. Barry Zito
    2. Mike Hampton
    3. Denny Naegle
    4. Matt Clement
    4a. Carl Pavano
    5. Chan Ho Park
    6. Darren Driefort
    7. Eric Milton?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post

1. Barry Zito
    2. Mike Hampton
    3. Denny Naegle
    4. Matt Clement
    4a. Carl Pavano
    5. Chan Ho Park
    6. Darren Driefort
    7. Eric Milton?
    Not sure if Milton even compares.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post

1. Barry Zito
    2. Mike Hampton
    3. Denny Naegle
    4. Matt Clement
    4a. Carl Pavano
    5. Chan Ho Park
    6. Darren Driefort
    7. Eric Milton?

Kevin Brown's gotta make that list somewhere, doesn't he?

Shows how risky long term pitching contracts are. Let's hope Arroyo isn't on that list in a couple years.

What about Matt Morris's 2007 contract with the Pirates for 2008 and 2009? They have DFA'd him, and still owe him $10 million for this year, plus a $1 million 2009 buyout.
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    He's lost several miles off of his fastball. I think his fastball is around 86 mph right now whereas he used to operate around 91 or so. He was tinkering with his delivery in ST. Wouldn't surprise me if he was hurt somehow, as well.
    He's averaging 83 mph on his fast ball this season. He's a very expensive junk baller.

His contract is tragic beyond comprehension. BTW, Sabean won the bidding war against Bill Bavasi though reportedly not by much (Bavasi also lost out on Schmidt that off season too).

I'm trying very hard not to become prejudiced against baldness.
    Last edited by jojo; 04-28-2008 at 02:32 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Do you consider a contract a bad contract because of an injury? Or do you consider a bad contract one that a player doesn't produce to his contract? Lets not forget Albert Belle in the bad contract discussion. I remember watching Zito in his last start for the A's. He was shelled in the playoffs and then leaves Oakland to go across the bay to San Fran. Pitchers just don't lose velocity overnight. If it is over a few years that is one thing but over the course of an offseason is another. Other than an arm injury, which I would hope the Giants checked out prior to thie signing, the only thing I can think of that would lead to his troubles is the lack of any PED's.

How long until Atlanta of St. Louis takes a gamble on Zito. SF would have to pay a huge portion of the contract but I can see those clubs turning him around.

Turn Off Ads?