Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Most overrated former Red by RZ'ers?

Re: Most overrated former Red by RZ'ers?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Aaron Boone. Heart in my throat every time he threw the ball. Swung like a 40 HR guy, but actually was a 20 HR guy (max). Flipped the fans the bird. Loved by Redszone. See ya!

Graves flipped off the fans, not Aaron, as I remember.. I thought Aaron left with tears in his eyes.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Agree with that.

Belisle is gaining ground fast though.
    Good point on Belisle. He's gotten a ton of love since he arrived.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Denorfia or Larson

Me personally: Austin Kearns. I still believe he'll be a good OF, but just isn't going to approach the level I thought he would.

I also was a huge Josh Hall fan. Really thought the Reds had found something there that no one was paying attention to. Might have been useful if his health didn't betray him time and time again.

The Board in general: yeah, Denorfia is probably tops, but I remember a few years back a certain Jose Acevedo being heralded as a coming ace. One game thread in particular where the ACE in Acevedo was emphasized. Probably was a small, devoted group, but that one always stuck in my head.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

I gotta believe it's Broussard.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Is this sarcastic? How was he overrated? He hit 40+ home runs and was the leader on the best Reds team of the last 10 years. The Reds have basically had one good year since 1995, and it was the only year he was on the team.
    No sarcasm at all, every year it seems we hear how the team needs a Greg Vaughn on it, and while hits 45HRs were nice he wasn't the only guy on that 99 team to have a great year, if he'd been around in 2000 I doubt his "leadership" would have resulted in that many more wins, besides..that 99 team although very exciting and along with JR one of the big reasons I became a Reds fan lost 4 of their last 5 to fail to even reach the playoffs.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Who would it be?

I haven't been here forever, but it seems like the ones that come up (or came up) the most are:

Chris Denorfia
    Elizardo Ramirez
    Wily Mo Pena
    Ben Broussard
    Austin Kearns

Who have I missed? Who would you rank highest?

I think the Lizard probably deserves the crown, based on what I've seen/read in the past.
    Kearns and Willy Mo in recent times. Both had the proclamation of Babe Ruth and DiMaggio tied upon there names.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Wayne Krivsky

If there had been an RZ in the 70's it would have been Dave Revering.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I think the Denorfia backlash is a little out of hand.

The prevailing opinion at the time was that Denorfia was a good bet to be a league average center fielder with the bat, cheap, and more than adequate defensively. I wish the Reds had taken the opportunity to play him to find out if he could handle a full season.

Currently he is hitting 283/365/326/691. I'd take that 365 OBP% in the leadoff slot, his defense in CF, and his $400K salary. (Provided the Reds had given him the opportunity to prove he could handle it.)

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 04-29-2008 at 09:23 AM.

My vote for most misunderstood player because he's both the most overrated and the most underrated Red depending upon which camp you're conversing with..............

:dunn:
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If there had been an RZ in the 70's it would have been Dave Revering.
    I'd say Champ Summers
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    No sarcasm at all, every year it seems we hear how the team needs a Greg Vaughn on it, and while hits 45HRs were nice he wasn't the only guy on that 99 team to have a great year, if he'd been around in 2000 I doubt his "leadership" would have resulted in that many more wins, besides..that 99 team although very exciting and along with JR one of the big reasons I became a Reds fan lost 4 of their last 5 to fail to even reach the playoffs.
    I don't get it. He put up great numbers that year, and by all accounts was a great, in-your-face leader. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree. (I will say, though, looking at his numbers, well let's just say there is a very strange and dramatic jump in performance, almost as if he suddenly found some substance that assisted him in hitting baseballs better.)

Haunted by walks

That whole Chris Denorfia/Chuck Norris thing was getting kind of weird after all.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

1. Lopez
    2. Denorfia
    3. Kearns
    4. Claussen
    5. Greene
    6. Coffey
    7. Larson
    8. Wagner
    9. Dawkins
    10. Rose Jr.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?