Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overrated former Red by RZ'ers?

Most overrated former Red by RZ'ers?

Who would it be?

I haven't been here forever, but it seems like the ones that come up (or came up) the most are:

Chris Denorfia
    Elizardo Ramirez
    Wily Mo Pena
    Ben Broussard
    Austin Kearns

Who have I missed? Who would you rank highest?

I think the Lizard probably deserves the crown, based on what I've seen/read in the past.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most overrated former Red by RZ'ers?

The Lizard and Denoforia are definitely a top contenders.

Oslwedo Fernandez was another one, predicted to be an ace by some, after a decent partial season.

Brandon Claussen was another "sure fire ace", despite coming off a major arm injury and being a very questionable prospect.

Rob Bell wasn't the most overrated, but he's probably between #10-20, as was Stynes.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Who would it be?

I haven't been here forever, but it seems like the ones that come up (or came up) the most are:

Chris Denorfia
    Elizardo Ramirez
    Wily Mo Pena
    Ben Broussard
    Austin Kearns

Who have I missed? Who would you rank highest?

I think the Lizard probably deserves the crown, based on what I've seen/read in the past.
    I dunno. I think that list is accurate. More importantly, when Freel, Hopper, and Hatteberg leave, will they make the list?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Do minor leaguers count, because if they do Milton Loo needs a place on the list.

Juan Castro.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Felipe Lopez, hands down, even more so that Kearns.

Denorfia and Broussard are neck-in-neck as far as I'm concerned. I never understood the love affair with either, especially Deno. So far, history has proven me correct on Broussard, and I still think I'll be right on Deno.

Some ex-Reds personally overrated by me:

Russ Branyan
    Bruce Chen
    David Espinosa
    Brandon Claussen
    Corey Patterson??
    Go BLUE!!!

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I dunno. I think that list is accurate. More importantly, when Freel, Hopper, and Hatteberg leave, will they make the list?
    I don't think Hatteberg is on that list, he was a very good 1st baseman, but he's just being replaced by an even better one. I would think you have to be a disappointing player to make the list, at least the way I look at it.

Felipe Lopez was definitely overrated IMO. You can say what you want about Krivsky not listening to advisers about "the trade", but those advisers definitely overvalued Kearns and Lopez.

One player I really liked at the time was Alex Ochoa. He never really turned into anything, but he showed some power and had one of the best arms I have ever seen in person.

I also wasn't around Redszone at the time of Pokey Reese, but he seems to be a likely type of candidate.
    Last edited by acredsfan; 04-28-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Brandon Claussen was another "sure fire ace", despite coming off a major arm injury and being a very questionable prospect.
    I was up in the booth for his debut. I couldn't stay the whole game (it was a day game) because I had to work, so I took advantage of the perk.

I bought into the hype

I overrate most of them because they're Reds.

My biggest miss was Lopez.

In my experience on the site Denorfia wins the grand prize.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    I also wasn't around Redszone at the time of Pokey Reese, but he seems to be a likely type of candidate.
    How could we forget Pokey, he of the website and all the hype that surrounded him. Good call.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Aaron Boone. Heart in my throat every time he threw the ball. Swung like a 40 HR guy, but actually was a 20 HR guy (max). Flipped the fans the bird. Loved by Redszone. See ya!
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Eric Milton....oh wait

Tim Hummell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I found this site in August of 06' and I couldn't get over the incredible amount of love the site had for Chris Denorfia.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?