Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Most overrated former Red by RZ'ers?

Re: Most overrated former Red by RZ'ers?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    That whole Chris Denorfia/Chuck Norris thing was getting kind of weird after all.

Yeah, I always thought most of us were kidding when we were joking around about Deno. Apparently not.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Yeah, I always thought most of us were kidding when we were joking around about Deno. Apparently not.
    The whole Deno love-fest was more about attacking a management group than any thought that he was going to be a star. Many of us figured, and I still believe, that had he gotten sufficient opportunity when he was ready (age 24-25) that he'd be a .750-.775 OPS bat with very good CF defense through his prime. That's not amazing, but it's pretty valuable. Heck, it's what we're paying Corey Patterson $3M to do.

The Reds turned him in to a converted OF RP who they won't promote and the cash to buy out Rheal Cormier. The entire Deno hype was less about him specifically than about the Reds not properly using an asset.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

For me it was Paul Householder (pre-RZ days, I know).

I thought he was going to be the next Mickey Mantle.
    sorry we're boring

Austin Kearns. Maybe because I never really liked him and others here thought he was a perrenial All Star. He gets the Jimmy Binnie award. For those Flyers fans out here know what I mean. Binnie avg'd 6 pts his Sr. year, 4 pts his Fr-Jr. year. Many Flyers fans thought he was star, and a great shooter. Many of them still believe this even after his last game as a Flyer this year. I'm a die hard Flyer fan, so I'm not a rival fan taking a shot at them.

Kearns. The Deno bit was largely joking, and Wily Mo was full of potential, but there was always an element of doubt. Kearns seemed like a sure thing.

Who knows, maybe some day....
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    For me it was Paul Householder (pre-RZ days, I know).

I thought he was going to be the next Mickey Mantle.
    And Gary Redus was going to be Willie Mays.

I was right there with you.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Redus and Householder, yes and yes.

Frank Pastore and Bruce Berenyii, too.

Add in Dann Billardello to my own personal Wall of Shame.

As for Redszone as a whole, no doubt it's Dunn on the current team. He's given pretty much a free pass by some more knowledgeable fans on ORG because of his "Old Man" skills. (Of course, in the Sun Deck, they crucify him.)

As for ex-Reds, Kearns was considered by some (blush) to be similar to HOF RF such as former Tiger Al Kaline. Deno was merely considered a probable All Star by others.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Graves flipped off the fans...
    IIRC, a fan or a group of fans was heckling him about his Vietnamese heritage and insinuating that his mother was a prostitute for American soldiers.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    And Gary Redus was going to be Willie Mays.

I was right there with you.
    Gary Redus, pop-up/fly-out machine. If Gary would have learned to hit the ball on the ground....

Redus was more talented, and wound up having a much longer career than Householder did, IIRC.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Gary Redus, pop-up/fly-out machine. If Gary would have learned to hit the ball on the ground....

Redus was more talented, and wound up having a much longer career than Householder did, IIRC.
    I just looked Redus up on baseball-reference.com. I didn't realize that he played for 12 years. He was on the Pirate teams that lost to the Reds in the playoffs in 90; and lost to the Braves in 91-92.

He also stole over 300 bases.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Redus and Householder, yes and yes.

Frank Pastore and Bruce Berenyii, too.

Add in Dann Billardello to my own personal Wall of Shame.
    Add in Eddie Milner, Tommy Lawless and Joe Price and you've got a never-was dynasty that wins every year in a parallel uinverse.

If we're going back to pre-Redszone days there's always Santo Alcala, Steve Henderson, Doug Flynn, Manny Sarmiento, Tom Carroll, Bernie Carbo....and later on, the guy the Reds should've kept instead of Larkin, Kurt Stilwell.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If there had been an RZ in the 70's it would have been Dave Revering.
    Ed Armbrister - could have had a great on base percentage had he bunted more often.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    And maybe Larson?
    Guilty. The 10 year-old SN article where BL said he "eats, sleeps and craps baseball" was my buy in

(I eventually dropped that stock, wayyy too late)
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Guilty. The 10 year-old SN article where BL said he "eats, sleeps and craps baseball" was my buy in

(I eventually dropped that stock, wayyy too late)

Ah, yes, I remember it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?