Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Base-running mistake by BP?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Prospect, KY
    Posts
    534

    Base-running mistake by BP?

    After reading some of the posts in the ORG on this play, I thought I'd start a thread here.

    Dunn smoked the ball so hard that I don't think it was possible for BP to stop or leap it, and I don't care if he is a MLB player.

    Chalk it up to something that doesn't happen often and get on with the game.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pataskala
    Posts
    253

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    I dont even think BP saw it coming. I think if he would have known the path of the ball was coming straight at him, we would have seen him jump or something.
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

  4. #3
    * Bat Votto Second * goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    2,686

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    After reading some of the posts in the ORG on this play, I thought I'd start a thread here.

    Dunn smoked the ball so hard that I don't think it was possible for BP to stop or leap it, and I don't care if he is a MLB player.

    Chalk it up to something that doesn't happen often and get on with the game.
    AGREED.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pataskala
    Posts
    253

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    Although "keep your eye on the ball" is preached all the time.
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,526

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    After reading some of the posts in the ORG on this play, I thought I'd start a thread here.

    Dunn smoked the ball so hard that I don't think it was possible for BP to stop or leap it, and I don't care if he is a MLB player.

    Chalk it up to something that doesn't happen often and get on with the game.
    I agree. I think he was shocked Dunn hit the ball hard with men on base

  7. #6
    I Hate Cleveland fugowitribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    195

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    I don't know, it was hit hard, but he has to pick the ball up a little better. I mean if he knew enough to know that the ball was on the ground (Obvious because he took off for 2nd) then he needs to see the ball coming right at him and throw the brakes on. It was a split second decision and he made the wrong one. I just hope it doesn't cost the Reds a win.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    End of the bench
    Posts
    753

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    Was the ball heading for the outfield or to the second baseman for a double play?
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

  9. #8
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    There is no way Brandon could have gotten out of the way of that ball. They just showed that play again on Reds Live. It was smoked and he wasn't even really running towards second base at that point. I think he was trying to figure out where it was going to roll through and before he could react he got hit. He was hit so hard that he fell over. I really don't think it was his fault. Sometimes those things just happen and unfortunately it happened to Brandon tonight.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,526

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    There is a former Heisman winner in the NFL named Charles Woodson. He is incredibly aggressive. Sometimes he gets flagged for a penalty but in the long run his aggresiveness pays off. I feel the same way about Brandon and the way he plays the game.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,174

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Was the ball heading for the outfield or to the second baseman for a double play?
    Had it not hit Phillips it would have been through the infield for a single.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,325

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    There is no way Brandon could have gotten out of the way of that ball. They just showed that play again on Reds Live. It was smoked and he wasn't even really running towards second base at that point. I think he was trying to figure out where it was going to roll through and before he could react he got hit. He was hit so hard that he fell over. I really don't think it was his fault. Sometimes those things just happen and unfortunately it happened to Brandon tonight.
    I agree. After seeing the replay, it looked like BP was looking at the ball on Reds Live. After reading several ORG posts about it, some people act as if he missed third base to tie a ballgame or something.

  13. #12
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    Phillips is an amazing athlete and a great defensive player... he eats plays like that up when he has his glove on. That was just poor poor baserunning! The ball was in front of BP and he ran into the ball. It wasn't on purpose and I know he thought he could get by the ball but he obviously didn't. I was suprised to see Brandon make that sort of mistake, normally those are reserved for Freel.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mt. Lookout
    Posts
    240

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Phillips is an amazing athlete and a great defensive player... he eats plays like that up when he has his glove on. That was just poor poor baserunning! The ball was in front of BP and he ran into the ball. It wasn't on purpose and I know he thought he could get by the ball but he obviously didn't. I was suprised to see Brandon make that sort of mistake, normally those are reserved for Freel.

    But when fielding Phillips is looking at the ball the whole way, when running sometimes when the ball is it you jsut gotta put your head down and run. It was hit so hard he just got unlucky. Not a big deal.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    187

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    There was no reason for BP to get hit with that ball. From the replay it looked like he thought he was going to run right by it and was wrong. In that situation, you can't take that gamble. He knew where the ball was.

    He's swinging the bat well and the Reds won the game, so hopefully he learns and moves on.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,185

    Re: Base-running mistake by BP?

    No win situation for Phillips. That ball was smoked and he didnt have a lot of time to react. What if he saw it and he hesistated to let it go by just to have the 2nd baseman start a 4-6-3 DP to end the inning. It wasnt bad baserunning just incredibly bad luck that got Brandon on that one.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25