Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Edwin Encarnacion Appreciation Thread

Re: Edwin Encarnacion Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Do you ever wonder if that would change the dynamics of the lineup and effect the production or outcomes percentage wise? I do.
    Not really. 2 weeks ago Dunn needed protection in the lineup. He was being killed by EdE's lack of production. EdE should be sent down, they clamored.

Now EdE is killing it, yet Dunn is still in a funk. Must be the lineup slot.

Except, for his career, Dunn has a higher OPS in the 5th spot (.906) than he does hitting 3rd (.809) or 4th (.900). Amazingly, 6th is better than those choices as well. He is hitting a robust .910 in that spot. 2nd is the leader at .942.

So, to answer your question, I really don't wonder about it too much. I think that it is just a pat excuse for Dunn's struggles. First it was no protection. Now it is the lineup slot. Next on the list is "luck", since his BABIP is only .250 this year.

While I agree that Dunn is under a microscope on this board, I would love to see others in the lineup get the same leniency from the masses. Griffey isn't declining, Phillips just isn't protecting him. EdE's struggles in the first few weeks had more to do with the lack of protection or lineup spot than we thought. Valentin wasn't providing enough protection. You know, things like that.

Sometimes I think that many here believe that the roles of others on the team revolve around getting Dunn to hit. Dunn's in a slump? It's obviously on the guys hitting behind him. Maybe we should rearrange the entire lineup because Dunn isn't hitting.

If that's what it will honestly take, then he can walk at the end of the year. Paying him what he gets paid should necessitate his production no matter what the situation. It doesn't matter how the stars are aligned that day.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Not really. 2 weeks ago Dunn needed protection in the lineup. He was being killed by EdE's lack of production. EdE should be sent down, they clamored.

Now EdE is killing it, yet Dunn is still in a funk. Must be the lineup slot.

On April 15, Dunn had a .650 OPS, he's up to .391 .400 .791 now.

Looks like, to me, that he's coming out of his funk.

High five!

So, to answer your question, I really don't wonder about it too much. I think that it is just a pat excuse for Dunn's struggles. First it was no protection. Now it is the lineup slot. Next on the list is "luck", since his BABIP is only .250 this year.
    Is it your opinion that these are not contributors to his low batting average?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

Stop that, he's only hitting .224, he's lazy and should be traded to North Korea
    Go Gators!

On April 22nd, he had an .822 OPS. Now, he has a .791.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Is it your opinion that these are not contributors to his low batting average?
    His BA hasn't been his strong suit his whole career. So it's not like 2008 is an outlier.

Sometimes I think that many here believe that the roles of others on the team revolve around getting Dunn to hit. Dunn's in a slump? It's obviously on the guys hitting behind him. Maybe we should rearrange the entire lineup because Dunn isn't hitting.

If that's what it will honestly take, then he can walk at the end of the year. Paying him what he gets paid should necessitate his production no matter what the situation. It doesn't matter how the stars are aligned that day.
    As watched the games that had a high LOB, very little scoring, items of that ilk, I just started wondering if the team might be better served with a change. A change by moving Griffey and Dunn out of those 3-4-5 spots, moving Dunn up and moving Griffey down while placing the higher SLG hitting players in the 3-4-5, players that might come through at a higher pct of time.

I just don't see what else the Reds can do this year with the team, contracts and the quality of players that they have. I mean the hitters and fielders on the Reds are what the are so I thought that management would have to work that much harder to make sure each piece is in the correct place to get something out of the limited talent that they have.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-02-2008 at 02:10 PM.

His BA hasn't been his strong suit his whole career. So it's not like 2008 is an outlier.
    Which kinda proves what kind of a small sample size will do.

Which kinda proves what kind of a small sample size will do.
    Could be a small sample size.

Turn Off Ads?