Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free agents for 09??

Re: Free agents for 09??

Kepp's low-k, BA-driven bat would help the line-up. Stick him at third, move EdE to the outfield and dangle Jr., Dunn, Hatt and Valentine for up-the-middle players. Sign Helms as a righty back for first and fall-back for third.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Kepp's low-k, BA-driven bat would help the line-up. Stick him at third, move EdE to the outfield and dangle Jr., Dunn, Hatt and Valentine for up-the-middle players. Sign Helms as a righty back for first and fall-back for third.
    I'm good with this as well. I was just saying that if we were to pick up a FA, I wouldn't mind Crede for a year and Kepp playing anywhere when needed.

Freel would need to be sent somewhere as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    And AGon's D did suffer in 2007 with 16 errors, but I think that it would be unfair to label him average or below-average at his position based on one sub-par year.
    that's where most defensive stats have him ... average at best.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    that's where most defensive stats have him ... average at best.
    So his defensive "skills" are a myth, like Juan Castro?

Why do we hear how good he is with the glove? Francona said he was one of the best he's ever seen at SS. That was the main reason he was brought in. Is he really "average", even if you thow out 2007? I'm serious when I ask this because I don't know.

And if so, what is Kepp? In the limited sample size, does it show Keppinger to be better? Watching Kepp out there, he does a fine job, but my eyes tell me that he is not a natural shortstop. I just don't see it. He does make the routine plays however, but I would take AGon over him defensively without question.

For further reading into the Kepp v. AGon defensive debate may I suggest the third and fourth pages of this thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=67680&page=3

Career-wise, Gonzalez does resemble Corey Patterson with a low OBP with some pop in his bat, while playing solid defense in a very important defensive position.

With that said, he had a solid year offensively in 2007 (17 HR's, .799 OPS) all the while going though some major personal issues. He hasn't done anything in his brief stay here to warrant his dumping. I do agree that Keppinger has done a solid job, but also feel that he's a bit overvalued on this board. For all the success he's had, the 28 year-old journeyman has a career .799 OPS, the same as AGon in 2007.

To me this isn't some no-brainer decision to have Kepp play over him at SS, especially when you consider how much they have invested in AGon.
    Not all 799 OPS are created equal (distrubtion of OBP and SLG). As long as money is disregarded, which it should be, it is a no-brainer to play Kepp over AGon...

Assuming Dunn and Griffey walk.

1. Re-sign Corey Patterson sometime this summer for one more year with an option for two. Get him out of the lead off spot. Hopefully Stubbs will be ready by 2010.

2. Sign Crede and move EE to LF.

3. Do what you can to get Sabathia. 3 yrs 40/45 will not cut it. He'll want 20M and he's deserving.

1. OK
    2. No thanks
    3. No way

Crede is too old and fragile. Personally, I'd like to see EE stick at 3B and worry about a LF if Dunn walks, which I hope he doesn't. LF are easier to find than 3B. As for Sabathia, can we please talk about something realistic? He's going to get >$100 MM, and the Reds are obviously not playing that game.

The list of free agents sucks. I'd trade Jr. this season (or let him walk afterwards) and bring Bruce up in his place. I'd try to trade for Matt LaPorta or Matt Kemp, but if I couldn't, I'd resign Dunn and Patterson. Let CP play CF until Stubbs is ready, but let him bat ninth. (That's right, ninth.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Sabathia is from California. I suspect he'll sign with a west coast team, probably either the Angels or Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    There really isn't any evidence to support the notion that Gonzo is anything more than a slight improvement over Keppinger(defensively). Gonzo is one of those guys whose reputation far exceeds his production.
    How about signing Orlando Hudson to play 2B and move Phillips to ss?

Oliver Perez would be interesting. Too many homers and walks but entering prime age to get it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Oliver Perez would be interesting. Too many homers and walks but entering prime age to get it together.
    I would love to have Oliver Perez. If he could be had for say, three years at 10 million a year I'd do it.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I would love to have Oliver Perez. If he could be had for say, three years at 10 million a year I'd do it.
    If the payroll can be cleared, I'd go higher.

Oliver Perez would be a huge risk for the Reds given his extreme flyball tendencies and high walk rate-----a deadly combination in GABP.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Oliver Perez would be a huge risk for the Reds given his extreme flyball tendencies and high walk rate-----a deadly combination in GABP.
    Clear out Jr., Dunn and some junk, you have scratch to work with. Now look at the list again. There's not a lot of high upside starting pitching there.
    Last edited by Rojo; 05-03-2008 at 01:23 AM.

Here is what I see for 2009:

C ?
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    SS Kep/Gonzo ( Gonzo likely not tradable at this point )
    3B EE
    LF ?
    CF ?
    RF Bruce

SP Harang-Volquez-Cueto-Arroyo-Bailey
    RP Cordero-Burton-Bray-?

Griffey is gone.
    Dunn should only be back if it is a short term deal. I suspect he can more elsewhere.

Looking at the Free Agent list there really isn't much. Jocketty has his work cut out for him.

It may be easier to find a team with a high priced veteran and offer them low level prospects and salary relief.

Turn Off Ads?