Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Edwin Jackson

Edwin Jackson

Plenty of teams continue to express interest in the Rays' Edwin Jackson. Something has to give in their rotation when Scott Kazmir returns, but demoting Andy Sonnanstine to the pen would solve the logjam.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

--

Hate to keep bringing it up, but with Cueto, Belisle and Arroyo all struggling, it's looking like less of a bad idea- that is, as long as we wouldn't have to give up too much. Tampa, how would you like a young power hitting 3B that strikes out a lot (and I'm not talking about Edwin). You can move him to 1B or the OF if you want.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Edwin Jackson

He's not very good. I'd probably rather have Matt Belisle in my rotation...

Except he seems to have turned a corner this year, at leas so far. Nobody is hitting the ball hard against him, he isn't walking a lot of guys either. He has a middlin K/9 rate, but yeah, I'd take him.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Except he seems to have turned a corner this year, at leas so far. Nobody is hitting the ball hard against him, he isn't walking a lot of guys either. He has a middlin K/9 rate, but yeah, I'd take him.
    Small Sample Alert!

30.3 IP
    6.83 H/9
    6.53 K/9
    4.75 BB/9
    0.59 HR/9
    17.2 LD%
    46.0 GB%
    4.55 xFIP
    .247 BABIP

I'd give him some time, he'll return to his old-self...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 04-30-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Agreed BaseClogger. No way does Edwin maintain that LD% when he's walking that many and striking out so few. He's also allowed just 2 HR. The scouting report may suggest otherwise, but I see no step forward whatsoever, just a low ERA coming from a small sample.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

ooops. I was looking at his K/BB thinking it was his BB/9.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I thought he was an okay option as a long reliever in the bullpen instead of Josh Fogg before the season started (assuming Krivsky had received some positive scouting reports). But now that his value has skyrocketed the asking price would likely be way too high (not to mention there is no way he would be in the bullpen instead of the rotation)...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I thought he was an okay option as a long reliever in the bullpen instead of Josh Fogg before the season started (assuming Krivsky had received some positive scouting reports). But now that his value has skyrocketed the asking price would likely be way too high (not to mention there is no way he would be in the bullpen instead of the rotation)...
    Probably true. I might offer up a Waring and/or a Szymanski just to see if they bite. He does have considerable upside if he can ever put it all together. Maybe they'll take Ryan Freel?
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?