Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will the appeal work for Ben Mauk?

Re: Will the appeal work for Ben Mauk?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I haven't followed this closely, so I'll just speak to the general principles.

If I was on the NCAA committee, since there is already a built-in extra year (five to play four), I'd hand out a sixth only in the most extreme of circumstances. Knowing that the vast majority of true freshmen redshirt anyway, I'd be disinclined to give that year back unless I was convinced that (1) he missed the season *solely* due to injury and (2) he would have seen significant playing time if not for being hurt. Based on some quick reading from 2003 season previews and recaps and such, Mauk was expected to redshirt even before he was injured, and Wake's projected starter and top backup stayed healthy. So it would be difficult to convince me that Mauk's injuries (even if legit) cost him playing time of consequence, enough to justify handing out a sixth-year exception.

I completely agree, although I think Mauk is arguing that he was injured before it was decided he would red shirt. I can't remember, but I think the injury actually originated while he was in high school so it could be argued that the redshirt year was at least in part due to the slower recovery from the injury. Like I said, I don't remember for sure. It seems like a last ditch effort to me.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I completely agree, although I think Mauk is arguing that he was injured before it was decided he would red shirt. I can't remember, but I think the injury actually originated while he was in high school so it could be argued that the redshirt year was at least in part due to the slower recovery from the injury. Like I said, I don't remember for sure. It seems like a last ditch effort to me.
    Yep. I don't begrudge him for trying, though.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Yep. I don't begrudge him for trying, though.
    It would certainly help his shot at an NFL career if he did get the extra year I would think. I really like Mauk, and I think BK is doing everything right so it doesn't effect his team either way as far as distracting the team. We'll see how it plays out, but at this point it is more of a curiosity to see how the NCAA reacts than a hope for his sixth season for me.

Turn Off Ads?