Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Derrick Turnbow

Derrick Turnbow

Turnbow Designated
    Per: www.mlbtraderumors.com

That happened rather fast. Not that the Reds are in need of a reliever with such atrocious control but maybe Jocketty will work something out in an attempt to make his first big 'trade'

FRIDAY, 9:34am: It's official - Turnbow has been designated for assignment.

FRIDAY, 8:53am: Adam McCalvy says the Brewers will call up outfielder Joe Dillon today, leading to speculation that Turnbow will be designated.

THURSDAY: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel wonders whether the Brewers will decide to eat Derrick Turnbow's $3.2MM salary and release him.

Not only is Turnbow unhappy, but he's been rocked in eight appearances this year. He probably needs a fresh start. I am not a fan of the "relief ERA" metric, but the Red Sox, Mariners, and Rangers fare poorly by it. In reality, there are probably a dozen teams that would like to try to straighten Turnbow out. Control, of course, is his main issue.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Derrick Turnbow

I would hope that Jocketty won't even entertain the notion of picking up Turnbow.

I'm quite happy with Cordero.

As am I, but its always a possibility. He wouldnt have to be used as a closer.
    from an interview on5/8/07 by mlb.com fans:

Trainzilla: Do you ever think you would like to be a starter in this league?

Turnbow: I was never really sure. I started out being a starter, so I thought if I did make it to the big leagues, it would be as a starter. After my surgery, I was put in the bullpen and I have been there ever since.

If he played his minor league career as a starter its always possible he could at least take a long relief role. I'd much rather have Turnbow throwing wild than a Todd Coffey.... regardless you'd have to give a second thought to getting him and I dont even know. It could well be worth it if he turns out to do well on a new team and we could quite possibly trade him near the deadline for something well worth it?

What if he'd take a minor league deal and go down to AAA and work on his stuff there? What risk would there be then. Reminds me of some dude whats his name... Oh ya. Kent Mercker circa 1996.

Turnbow just turned 30, thats not incredibily old by any stretch. If he does "find it" you could have a real nice setup guy/backup closer plan. You dont get 39 saves without some talent closing. Time will tell if he is "on the cheap" with the way everyone needs pitching.

Sounds great, the problem with that is i guarantee there are multiple teams out there who would be willing to put Derrick Turnbow to the bullpen right now. Theres absolutely no chance he would sign with us to play in Triple A. If we got him the best chance would probably be to use him as a middle reliever when were ahead in runs. This could get him innings, boost his confidence, and then tell him we'll contemplate using him as a set-up man. We he starts performing him sign him to a 2 year deal and then trade him towards the deadline or this offseason.

Surprised to see this happen
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I don't want him on the Reds. IIRC, he blew saves against the Reds in the not too recent past and I don't want him on the other end blowing games for us. We have plenty of potential for that to happen all ready, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I don't want him on the Reds. IIRC, he blew saves against the Reds in the not too recent past and I don't want him on the other end blowing games for us. We have plenty of potential for that to happen all ready, LOL
    No reason to rag on the bullpen so far this year. They have been better than ever could be imagined.

I'd be completely shocked if the Reds even gave it one thought. Sure I'd rather have Turnbow than Stormy as the setup, but with Stormy due 3 mil (& no one in their right mind is gonna take him off your hands) they're not gonna shell out another 2.5 mil for Turnbow.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    No reason to rag on the bullpen so far this year. They have been better than ever could be imagined.
    Well, I was referring more to the fact that our offense can't seem to hit it's way out of a paper bag right now but I guess I should have made that more clear. A great bullpen is awesome to have (and I agree that ours is doing well so far) but putting up zeros doesn't mean as much when you can't get the lead in the game in the first place.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Unlike some, I wouldn't mind having him. Assuming the price is low, it wouldn't hurt to have another flamethrower down there. I thought that man would be Roenicke, but he needs to work on his control. I know that Turnbow has no control, but if he comes in throwing 98-100, nobody can consistantly hit that.

Edit:
    If his velocity is down to 90 like people in the ORG are saying, then I'd pass.
    Last edited by GoReds33; 05-02-2008 at 04:26 PM.

What would we need Turnbow for? Def isnt going to get Cordero's spot and I would rather see Burton, Lincoln, Affeldt, Mercker in the 8th before him. I doubt he would ever get the mindset to pitch long relief or a spot 6-7th inning guy
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

You say you'd rather see lincoln, affeldt and mercker in the 8th before him. So i presume your stance isn't going to change then in a few months before the trade deadline when lincoln and mercker have a sub-5 ERA. Im not saying the bullpens not good now, but especially guys like lincoln and mercker, aside from being injured, havent performed consistently over the past few years. you can just throw out expectations for some of these guys and expect them to excel an entire season as they are now. Yes it could happen but face it the chances are low. Other than McBeth, Roenicke, Pelland and Lehr I can't think of anybody off the top of my head who could replace players that are or could be anything great towards the middle of the season when somebody faulters.

Turn Off Ads?