Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 Greatest comic sketches of all time

50 Greatest comic sketches of all time

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 50 Greatest comic sketches of all time

How in the world isn't Celebrity Jeopardy #1? That's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

How about the SNL sketch with Woody Harrelson where the guys at the beach don't want to take their shirts off for various reasons?

Or the Joe Montana sketch with the best damn punchline ever?
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

I'm disappointed that "Jackie Rogers Jr.'s $100,000 Jackpot Wad" wasn't included.

There are actually a few on there I have only heard about, but have never had a chance to see (kind of the stuff of comedic legend). Thanks for that, Chip.

Not having looked at all of the clips, I actually have not qualms with the list. "Funniest" is subjective - but there are so many on that list that are pure classic, and quite a few others I was very pleased to see on the list (kudos to having a couple of Mr. Show clips). Bit disappointed the Upper Class Twit of the Year Monte Python sketch did not get a nod - but I was quite pleased to see the urban idiot on there. Great stuff.

Now, I have some videos to watch...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Not seeing any Monty Python among the first 30 on the list, I was dubious. The list was redeemed by including 3 classic Monty Python sketches in the top 20.

I am surprised that there's absolutely nothing from The Tonight Show. There were some great sketches in the Johnny Carson era, which usually made their way onto the annual primetime specials.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I am surprised that there's absolutely nothing from The Tonight Show. There were some great sketches in the Johnny Carson era, which usually made their way onto the annual primetime specials.

I didn't think about that but, yeah, that is something of a surprise.

I'm not very far into the list as I end up watching most of the clips, but there have been a few that are hilarious.

I was a little young for Mr. Show, but I like David Cross a lot. That "Pre-Taped Call in Show" was freakin' brilliant. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing, in fact I'm going to have to go back and watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    How about the SNL sketch with Woody Harrelson where the guys at the beach don't want to take their shirts off for various reasons?

Or the Joe Montana sketch with the best damn punchline ever?
    Hi there! I'm Joe Montana.

I forgot how much I loved "The State" growing up. That made me miss it. Thanks for the great find.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Great link. I'm gratefull to find a full video of one of the Celebrity Jeopardy sketches!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

The argument to Beethoven's 5th was outstanding. Especially since it was done live.

The Kids in the Hall's "Citizen Kane" is one of my all-time favorites. "Buddy's Softball Team" deserves a mention, too.

Martin Short's delivery of the line "I don't swim" in the SNL "Synchronized Swimming" sketch kills me.

"I'm Rick James" is easily the funniest comedy sketch in the last 10 years.

"Dead Parrot" is probably as indisputable choice for #1 as you can find.

The one sketch that I really wanted to see on the list was "Joke: The Musical" from Mr. Show.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-01-2008 at 12:18 AM.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Martin Short's delivery of the line "I don't swim" in the SNL "Synchronized Swimming" sketch kills me.
    Agreed. I see a lot of Christopher Guest's choreographer character in his later role of "Corky" in Waiting for Guffman, which I loved.

I would tinker with the order of the list, but it's great to see so many of these clips in one place.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Good to see Python on there that much. I've always been fond of them.

Turn Off Ads?