Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers and Padres among teams interested in Juan Castro

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Dodgers and Padres among teams interested in Juan Castro

...really. Seriously.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_9101718

The Dodgers are still interested in Juan Castro, the veteran utility infielder who was designated for assignment by Cincinnati last week, a source close to the situation said. Castro will officially become a free agent if the Reds don't trade him by 10 a.m. today, and signing him would allow the Dodgers to send top shortstop prospect Chin-lung Hu back to the minors so he could get regular playing time.

One factor that might work against the Dodgers is that they would want Castro to initially go to Triple-A Las Vegas for a few days because he hasn't played since April 17. There are teams interested - notably San Diego - that would immediately put him in the majors.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Dodgers and Padres among teams interested in Juan Castro

They are more than welcome to have him.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Wayne mentioned recently in an interview that he was trying to send Castro to the Dodgers.

I hope Castro catches on somewhere. He seems like a nice guy, and I'd love to see him in the lineup on the opposing team for a change.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Damn the Dodgers are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

Suppose if they twisted the Reds arm a bit that the Reds could dump some more deadwood off on them?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-30-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I hope Castro catches on somewhere. He seems like a nice guy, and I'd love to see him in the lineup on the opposing team for a change.
    He'd probably break up a Harang no hitter with a home run

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    He'd probably break up a Harang no hitter with a home run
    No doubt, like the Red's hitters getting handcuffed by pitchers who previously had 5+ ERAs
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It depends. Castro's ok as the last man on the bench, if you don't give up anything for him or pay him anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    It depends. Castro's ok as the last man on the bench, if you don't give up anything for him or pay him anything.
    Wouldn't want him anywhere near my bench, last man or not.

There is no possible circumstance where I would want to see Castro take the field or get an AB for my team.

With all the vitriol for Juan Castro, I have to wonder how some of the BRM's benchwarmers would have fared here on RZ. Ed Armbrister? Mike Lum? Joel Youngblood in his rookie season?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    With all the vitriol for Juan Castro, I have to wonder how some of the BRM's benchwarmers would have fared here on RZ. Ed Armbrister? Mike Lum? Joel Youngblood in his rookie season?
    Were any of those players the worst player currently on a MLB roster during their tenure with the Reds or one of the top 10 WORST batters of all-time?

I have nothing personal against Manos - he is what he is, just don't want him taking up a Reds roster spot. I hope he hooks up with someone for his sake and to remove the temptation to pick him up again from our FO.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 04-30-2008 at 10:58 PM.

The first Red I ever saw hit a HR in person at GABP was Juan Castro. Not really relevant just throwing it out there.

As others have said, he seems like a good guy and I hope he finds a slot somewhere, just not with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Mike Lum is just the kind of bench player this team lacks. He was a better more powerful LH Hitter than Hatte and he isn't tethered to one position where he is a defensive downgrade from the starter.

The criticism IMO is about putting together pieces that fit with enough different abilities to play the required roles and this team was saddled with too many one trick ponies for a bench. Hatte is a LHPH who can hit RH Pitching at Home and ususally only when he starts. Castro has good hands, no range, no speed and no bat. Hopper is a little better with some defense, some speed, some contact ability and exceptional bunting skill, but he doesn't add much that the team doesn't already have in Freel or Patterson. It simply leaves too many roles unfilled by having guys that are so limited or redundant. On teams that have those other things covered and specific needs relative to these guys skills, they could be real useful, but not on the 2008 Reds as constructed. At least from me, the criticism is about how the roster was assembled and not necessarily a dislike for these players. I'm not sure that Castro is a major league caliber player at this point unless a team has a real void of IF help. The others are major league worthy guys, who just don't fit IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?