Re: Baseball America's take on the Jocketty hiring

I give fair crappy evaluations.

But i won't be lengthy about it.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I've liked 'em both though, for WJ, I'm extrapolating to the good things that I know that he'll do once he awakens.

SO much better than predecessors.
    Agreed.

People quickly forget that ANY one of the starters in the 5 man rotation would've been the best pitcher on some of the Reds squad in the first part of this decade.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Agreed.

People quickly forget that ANY one of the starters in the 5 man rotation would've been the best pitcher on some of the Reds squad in the first part of this decade.
    Nobody disrespects Jose Acevedo and Elizardo Ramirez in front of me and lives.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Nobody disrespects Jose Acevedo and Elizardo Ramirez in front of me and lives.
    Post of the week!

"Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    The only thing I'm really getting out of this is that neither Krivsky or Jocketty should be the GM of this organization. This has become more of a battle of "who's mistakes were worse", which really means that there isn't enough good to outweigh the bad.
    I am more in the Jocketty camp for now but I need to see something more from him. He has been disappointing in some regards for lack of activity but he also hasn't pushed the panic button and hurt the long-term flexibility of the payroll by making poor signings.

That makes me think that he has a plan. The other guy had no long-term plan. Cordero is a perfect example. Need a closer on a 70 win ballclub? Go spend the most money ever on a reliever? Doesn't make much sense. Maybe Walt didn't fill-in a gap in LF this winter, but my guess was that he would have saddled Cincy with a 4 year deal for Abreu, Burrell or Bradley to do that. And that would have been an issue for the long-term prospects of the ballclub.

I think Jocketty has a solid plan in place, but this year's Free Agent class was very lackluster in areas of need for us. Yes some moves he made makes us scratch our heads, but they are 1-2 year deals, they will not hurt us long-term. They simply buy the franchise time to let guys develop in the minors...examples

CF-Taveras(2009) in (2010) Stubbs or Heisey
    LF-Nix/Dickerson(2009) in (2010) Frazier, Votto, Alonso
    BP-Weathers, Lincoln(2009) in (2010) Fisher, Roenicke

IMHO we need a veteran Backup catcher or re-sign Ramon to a more friendly 3 year deal, a solid veteran SS to groom Valaika/Cozart..maybe Scutero/Everett in the offseason. Then in the offseason spend the big $$$ on a LF and a solid 4th OF/Utility guy like DeRosa to provide depth. I believe Walt is working the phones, but sometimes the best deals are the one's that are thought out and not by trigger happy gunslinger's

Turn Off Ads?