Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The most underrated player in the game?

The most underrated player in the game?

Hanley Ramirez, hands down IMO. To me there is not a more underrated player in baseball than this guy. You don't hear much about him because of where he plays, but to me he's one of the top 5-10 hitters in baseball. Just some background info - He came up in the Boston organization and was rated as their top prospect in 2003, 2004, and 2005 by Baseball America. As an 18 year old he hit .341 with a .957 OPS in rookie ball in 2002. In late 2005 he was the key prospect sent to the Marlins in the Josh Beckett trade. The Marlins installed him as their starting shortstop in 2006 and all he did was hit .292/.353/.480 with 46 doubles, 17 homeruns, and 51 steals and was named the 2006 NL Rookie of the Year. Last year he elevated his numbers to MVP type numbers and hit .332/.386/.562 with 48 doubles, 29 homeruns, and 51 steals, narrowly missing a 30/50 season. Again this season he's off to an unbelievable start with the bat, hitting .327/.402/.602 with five doubles and eight homeruns already and nine steals, putting him pace for 46 homeruns and 52 stolen bases. He's a legit 40/40 man. This kid, IMO, is in the Albert Pujols/A-Rod/Miguel Cabrera class of hitters but you rarely see him mentioned. Considering the ballpark he plays in makes that much more impressive what he's doing.

He's not a great defensive short stop so he'll most likely move to third base sometime in the future but it doesn't matter because he's got the bat to play anywhere. With a new stadium about to be built, hopefully the Marlins can this kid around for a long time. With Ramirez, Hermida, and Cameron Maybin, they have some nice talent to build around.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-01-2008 at 02:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The most underrated player in the game?

Hanley is great. The Rays are a little better right now, and are getting more attention, probably rightly so, but both Florida teams have plenty of exciting young talent.

Nothing new, the trick is somehow holding onto it.

I don't know if I'd call Hanley underrated at this point. I think most people consider him the second or third best position player in the game.

That said, it's pretty cool that the Red Sox don't regret that trade at all. We can only hope for the same result from Hamilton/Volquez.
    Go BLUE!!!

If he moved to 2B or 3B then yeah, he would be. However at SS he is a butcher defensively and it really hurts the offensive value his incredible bat brings.

I'm not sure how a recent ROY whom everybody fawns can be considered underrated.

Chase Utley, who lives in the shadow of the last two NL MVPs, and who's a far better fielder than Ramirez, is surely more underrated. Russ Martin, IMO, doesn't get nearly the pub he deserves. Nick Markakis qualifies as a mostly unknown quality player. Garrett Atkins is another wildly underappreciated player.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm not sure how a recent ROY whom everybody fawns can be considered underrated.

Chase Utley, who lives in the shadow of the last two NL MVPs, and who's a far better fielder than Ramirez, is surely more underrated. Russ Martin, IMO, doesn't get nearly the pub he deserves. Nick Markakis qualifies as a mostly unknown quality player. Garrett Atkins is another wildly underappreciated player.
    Utley was the first guy who came to mind for me. What he has done since 2005 has been incredible. Then consider what he did last season and what he's doing so far this season ...

I hope Utley stays healthy the entire season, because if he does I have a feeling he's capable of putting together an historic season for a second sacker.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

I agree with ya on all those guys being underrated. I just think the average baseball fan probably doesn't know a whole lot about Ramirez because of who he plays for. If he were a Yankee or Cub he'd surely be getting talked up as a MVP candidate.

Yay!

Someone who was very highly-rated but has gone back under the radar: Chipper Jones. (Dude can still hit!) Same with Todd Helton. Even their "bad" years are still very, very good.

Brad Hawpe is underrated. Ditto Nick Johnson. Michael Young?

I think Berkman is underrated. Reds fans know better because he kills our team.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Other underrated players besides the guys we've listed in this thread:

Mike Napoli
    Pat Neshek
    Edgar Renteria (future HOFer IMO)
    Corey Hart
    Nate McLouth

I see someone mentioned Berkman. I agree with that one too.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Our very own Jeff Keppinger.
    Jose Lopez (SEA)
    Ryan Doumit (PIT)
    David Murphy (TEX)
    Luke Scott (BAL)
    Shane Victorino (PHI)
    John Maine (NYM)
    Xavier Nady (PIT)
    Conor Jackson (ARI)
    James Loney (LAD)
    Fred Lewis (SF)
    Pat Burrell (PHI)
    Joakim Soria (KC)
    Yunel Escobar (ATL)
    Milton Bradley (TEX)
    Carlos Guillen (DET)
    Mike Jacobs (FLA)

Great list highlife. Especially Doumit and John Maine.

Victor Martinez
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Man Pills

Tim Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I agree with ya on all those guys being underrated. I just think the average baseball fan probably doesn't know a whole lot about Ramirez because of who he plays for. If he were a Yankee or Cub he'd surely be getting talked up as a MVP candidate.
    He did finish top 10 in the MVP voting last season, but it's tough for someone to be a serious MVP candidate on a losing team. It's pretty funny for me to think of Hanley as being underrated, though, considering he'd been labeled a future superstar since he was 16. He's really just living up to expectations.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I realize we're hitting mostly on position players here, but Javier Vasquez had an ERA of 3.72 and an ERA+ of 127 -- with 197 H and 213 strikeouts -- last year. His ERA typically hovers in the high-3 to mid-4 range. He's in the eleventh season of his major league career and has pitched 200 innings every year since 2000 -- many of those years going up into the 220s and even 230. People barely know what team he plays for.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?