Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brooks Accused of Assault

Re: Brooks Accused of Assault

I'm also sure she "nicely approached" him lol

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    The Colts break back ahead on the arrest scoreboard for the year.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...d-in-shooting/
    Marvin Harrison? Really? I guess so:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3378829

It should be noted that he isn't a suspect at this time.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't think you can lump the disgruntled in with the violators of the law. Two separate issues. The Dallas Cowboys have their own history with bad boys ending up in jail. The Steelers have had all kinds of issues with players and/or former players. All teams have issues. The only thing that makes the Bengals different is that they have the separate issue of having a history of losing and players who like to use that as an excuse to extort more money. The one issue - the problems with domestic abuse, drugs, alcoholism, and other anti-social behaviors - needs to be addressed league-wide, because it's not a "Bengals only" problem. It's a league-wide issue. The second issue - players trying to whine and cry their way out of town and blaming it on the losing - is a Bengals problem, but it's a separate issue from the first. To lump these two together marginalizes the first, much bigger problem. It becomes an issue for the Bengals to solve, rather than something for the league to address.

I don't think making the Bengals avoid picking up anyone with a bad legal history is going to do away with the issue of NFL players getting in trouble with the law. They need to come up with a league-wide policy and apply it evenhandedly to all teams. Right now it seems like the rules are whatever Goodell makes up on the spot.

I realize they're separate issues, to an extent, but I'm saying one feeds the other. The Bengals' simply draft too many character risks, and lack the type of environment that sees more of them pan out. Even high round picks like Chad, Dillon and Pickens were all character risks.

I do agree the whole league is struggling with it, and it needs to be addressed at that level still, somehow. My emotional attachment to the game is very distant at this point, a lot of these guys are people I just don't care for - makes it hard to cheer for too many of them.

Basically the Bengals forego big names in FA and as a result are usually faced with drafting high ceiling talent, that are slipping in the draft, to make up for it. At least Marvin may know he has to do this, to have a chance, here.

It hasn't worked out very well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I realize they're separate issues, to an extent, but I'm saying one feeds the other. The Bengals' simply draft too many character risks, and lack the type of environment that sees more of them pan out. Even high round picks like Chad, Dillon and Pickens were all character risks.

I do agree the whole league is struggling with it, and it needs to be addressed at that level still, somehow. My emotional attachment to the game is very distant at this point, a lot of these guys are people I just don't care for - makes it hard to cheer for too many of them.

Basically the Bengals forego big names in FA and as a result are usually faced with drafting high ceiling talent, that are slipping in the draft, to make up for it. At least Marvin may know he has to do this, to have a chance, here.

It hasn't worked out very well at all.
    Of course some of those big name FAs have a lot of baggage coming with them too. A lot of players are changing teams these days because their current team no longer wants to put up with their BS.

I too find my emotional attachment to the game becoming increasingly distant. I've found myself looking for other sports to follow because I'm just not getting that excited about football anymore (My wife would say I'm growing up). For me it's a feeling like I have no connection to these players. I feel like NFL players have become completely detached from the realities of the fans. I care about working hard and winning games. I get the impression that a lot of players care about their "credibility," which leads some players to act like thugs all the time and some players to worry about how much they're getting paid in relation to everyone else. Players act like criminal law and contract law do not apply to them. If we were to change allegiances to other teams, I feel like I would find the same thing. The only difference is that we as Bengals fans have endured so many losing seasons that there is a tendency to blame the Bengals for these problems when the real problem is much bigger.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?