Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time For the "I" Word (Busting it out for the first time in 08!)

Worth The Wait

Time For the "I" Word (Busting it out for the first time in 08!)

This will make RFS62, very happy

For whatever reason, I still have a decent amount of confidence in this team in terms of success THIS year.

--I think we're bound to hit the ball more consistently. BP looks to be coming out of his slump, and Dunn can't be too far behind. Get those two guys going consistently, and I think the runs will come.

--I REALLY like the potential of the bullpen. Francisco is hammering down the 9th inning, so we don't need to worry about that. And with Bray replacing Coffey, I think the pen could be a real strong spot throughout the season. There really isn't anybody out there that gives me that sinking feeling in my stomach when he enters the game.

--The rotation is at least interesting. Harang is a stud, Volquez has been great, and despite his most recent outing, Cueto is certainly worth watching.

In summary, I could still see the Reds getting hot. I could still see us getting above .500 before the AS break and making a run at the post-season.

Maybe I'm delusional, but I have a certain amount of confidence that this team is going to make a run.

Having said that, here's comes the "I" word:

Important.

Yes, folks, mark it down. It's April 30th, and the Reds are playing the first game of the year that I will call "important."

We rattled off three in a row and then got blasted last night. Now, we have a chance to take 2 out of 3 against a division team with our ace on the mound. IF we are going to make the run I've mentioned above, these are the types of games we'll need to win.

I am going to continue to "mark" certain games as more important than others throughout the season and update our record in those games. We'll see how it turns out

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time For the "I" Word (Busting it out for the first time in 08!)

I like your post Edskin.

Tonight is important. Important for another reason, too. The Reds need to start supporting Harang -they simply can't waste great starts by their ace. Take 2 of 3 in St Lou, and then the same in Atlanta. Win each series as they go and the season will take care of itself.

I'm happy the Reds seem to be waking up a little bit, but I'm still just happy to see a real starting rotation rather than a bunch of cast offs, old guys with more scars than Frankenstein and AAAA retreads.

They are going to get banged around once in a while, but I like it. I like it a lot.

Keep swimmmg Bronson. I swim for exercise; there's nothing like it to make you strong and tough.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I agree this is an important game today. Big difference between 3 below .500 and five with another road series; important to win two series in a row; important to win one of Harang's starts, especially against a division foe. As of now, going to the seventh, I don't like our chances. We desperately need lineup changes.

Ed. I've always enjoyed your posts laying out the plan to win the division. Keep them coming.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Ed,
    Looks unlikely we'll win this one, one of those of the kind we need to win. Cause you to change your evaluation? I wish I shared your optimism. I think you're two years ahead of time.

This team is metaphysically awful. They won't start playing "important" games again until next April.

I agree this team is really bad. Will repeat an earlier prediction of mine. They will have a hard time winning 75 games.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I agree this team is really bad. Will repeat an earlier prediction of mine. They will have a hard time winning 75 games.
    Good call. I certainly didn't see the advanced stage cancer eating at this roster. Good eye.

(And this roster is ALL Wayne Krivsky).

I wouldn't get to down on the Reds. They weren't going to start fast. That was pretty evident. The key is for the young talent to continue to grow and build themselves up into the majors for the 2nd half of the year. Bailey,Bruce,Roenicke and the gang need to get steady and stable. The Reds have guys that don't belong on the majors but we don't want to rush the kids either for a lame hope at making the playoffs this year. I think that is what happened to Cueto and he has been trying to hard evident by overthrowing his fastball.

If I was Griffey, I would open my self up for trade. The time has come.

they are a bunch of mismatched part light on talent(said it before the season). Nothing has changed at this point.

Roster management has been bad and the batting order designed to aid the opponents in pitching to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I strongly disagree!

(I picked them to win 76.)
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    I wouldn't get to down on the Reds. They weren't going to start fast. That was pretty evident. The key is for the young talent to continue to grow and build themselves up into the majors for the 2nd half of the year. Bailey,Bruce,Roenicke and the gang need to get steady and stable. The Reds have guys that don't belong on the majors but we don't want to rush the kids either for a lame hope at making the playoffs this year. I think that is what happened to Cueto and he has been trying to hard evident by overthrowing his fastball.

If I was Griffey, I would open my self up for trade. The time has come.

I agree that the Reds should emphasize youth. I think they will, at some point, need an established right handed bat for the middle of the lineup. Otherwise, primarily young players.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

(And this roster is ALL Wayne Krivsky).
    Patterson, Hairston and Bako too ? "ALL" ?

I thought that Krivsky had such great scouting skills, how could he have lost it with these ex-Cubs so badly?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Nothing has changed at this point.

Roster management has been bad and the batting order designed to aid the opponents in pitching to the team.
    I strongly agree.

Turn Off Ads?