Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phrases Which Have Officially Jumped the Shark

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Phrases Which Have Officially Jumped the Shark

I think the following phrases are entirely used too much on Redszone and should be officially retired:

1. "He's scrappy". Even if he is. Especially if he is.
    2. "Why is "Player X" hitting leadoff"? Because he is. Learn to accept it.
    3. "Why is Dunn hitting 5th"? Because he is. Learn to accept it.
    4. "Leatherpants". Just a very bad visual.
    5. "Bowden likes "toolsy" players". Bad memories.
    6. "Why is Phillips hitting cleanup"? See #2 and #3 above.
    7. "Why don't be do a deal with Pena's agent to allow him to be sent to the minors"? I don't know. We should have. I guess we were just too dumb to ask.
    8. "Encarnacion should be sent to the minors". No he shouldn't. He never should have either.
    9. "Encanacion should be batting cleanup". Yep, but see #6 above.
    10. "Dunn should be moved to first base". "Griffey should be moved to first base". "Encarnacion should be moved to first base". Funny, you never hear that Votto should simply stay at first base. And he should.
    11. "How can we have 3 catchers on the roster"? Or as I like to refer to it, the "Devil's Triangle". Nuff said about that.
    12. "Dave Duncan can fix any pitcher and make him great". I don't care if it's true (it's not, or at least it's not likely true), I don't want to hear it and I don't want to read it.
    13. "The Cards are better than the Reds". See #12 above.
    14. "Jumped the Shark". I used it here for the last time. I'd consider using it again, but everytime I do I think of Fonzy wearing a bathing suit and a leather jacket. I should be thankful it wasn't a leather bathing suit. Now, Fonzy was "scrappy". But not as scrappy as Mrs. C.

Any others to be added?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phrases Which Have Officially Jumped the Shark

"I completely agree with princeton"

I mean, after 500,000 times, it's really understood isn't it?

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

I agree with princeton....

Oh wait, I agree with post number 2.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

15. "stat guys". Or any of the variations thereof. Scouting and data analysis are simply two different ways to gather information about baseball players, teams, etc. The are not in competition, period. There's no need to categorize those people who choose to use quantitative methods in addition to the qualitative ones. Anybody who chooses to use less information than what is available should be considered suspect - regardless of which bias they show.

An aside, my personal experience has shown that people versed in the quantitative side are much more appreciative of the value of the qualitative side than the other way around. I find that calling people "stat guys", often implying "basement-dwelling", "noses stuck in spreadsheets" and the like, often simple insecure bullying from people who are afraid of the limits of their own knowledge. Using those terms often makes it unclear whether you are simply trying to generalize a person's comfort level with certain types of analysis or if you are participating in the bullying game.

16. "baseball man". This means something different to each person who uses it. However, I find it's generally referring to somebody who has been involved in the game a very long time and who is implied to have special knowledge not accessible to outsiders. Said knowledge is often unarticulated, making it unclear whether the person really does have some great expertise, or whether they are trying to inflate their value out of respect, confusion, or otherwise.

17. "luck". Not entirely, but let's be more accurate with our terms and use "variation", where appropriate. For example, Arroyo has not really been "unlucky" so far this year. However, the performance we've observed from him to date is such that it is within an expected range of variance, given the relatively small sample, even if his true level of skill had not changed at all. Therefore, we cannot conclude that he is likely a worse pitcher (as in less capable) this year than he was last year.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-02-2008 at 01:08 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Haunted by walks

I have nothing to say.

"Dusty favors vets"
    "Win now"
    "Adam Dunn is/isn't....."

and!

"just like I thought"
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    An aside, my personal experience has shown that people versed in the quantitative side are much more appreciative of the value of the qualitative side than the other way around.
    howdy stranger. Welcome to Redszone.

15. "stat guys". Or any of the variations thereof. Scouting and data analysis are simply two different ways to gather information about baseball players, teams, etc. The are not in competition, period. There's no need to categorize those people who choose to use quantitative methods in addition to the qualitative ones. Anybody who chooses to use less information than what is available should be considered suspect - regardless of which bias they show.

An aside, my personal experience has shown that people versed in the quantitative side are much more appreciative of the value of the qualitative side than the other way around. I find that calling people "stat guys", often implying "basement-dwelling", "noses stuck in spreadsheets" and the like, often simple insecure bullying from people who are afraid of the limits of their own knowledge. Using those terms often makes it unclear whether you are simply trying to generalize a person's comfort level with certain types of analysis or if you are participating in the bullying game.

16. "baseball man". This means something different to each person who uses it. However, I find it's generally referring to somebody who has been involved in the game a very long time and who is implied to have special knowledge not accessible to outsiders. Said knowledge is often unarticulated, making it unclear whether the person really does have some great expertise, or whether they are trying to inflate their value out of respect, confusion, or otherwise.

17. "luck". Not entirely, but let's be more accurate with our terms and use "variation", where appropriate. For example, Arroyo has not really been "unlucky" so far this year. However, the performance we've observed from him to date is such that it is within an expected range of variance, given the relatively small sample, even if his true level of skill had not changed at all. Therefore, we cannot conclude that he is likely a worse pitcher (as in less capable) this year than he was last year.
    Whatever you say, stat guy.

An aside, my personal experience has shown that people versed in the quantitative side are much more appreciative of the value of the qualitative side than the other way around.
    I can't argue personal experience, so I won't.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

"XYZ says hi"
    "Fixed that for you" (after someone edits quoted text).

Now that you know my pet peeves, I expect to see them more often
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

"Roger Clemens has been accused of..."

So the Reds drop game X of the series...
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    "I completely agree with princeton"

I mean, after 500,000 times, it's really understood isn't it?
    I disagree.

It's 499,999 times, to be precise.

Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    "XYZ says hi"
    "Fixed that for you" (after someone edits quoted text).

Now that you know my pet peeves, I expect to see them more often
    Those drive me nuts, too!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I say the phrase "jump the shark" has jumped the shark.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?