Norris Hopper vs LHP -
    111 at bats
    OBP .385
    OPS .826

Ken Griffey vs LHP -
    191 at bats
    OBP .317
    OPS .735

Not to mention Hopper's defense is better than Griffey's ( at this stage of his career )

1. Why is there no love for Hopper? Batting him leadoff vs LHP seems fine to me.

2. Why not a platoon of Hopper and Griffey in rightfield for 2008?
    Griffey isn't going to play 162 games anyway so why not get him most of his ABs vs righties. His OPS vs RHP in 2007 was .943

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hopper > Griffey vs lefties

I don't know what the Reds gain by having Hopper take ABs away from Jay Bruce or Chris Dickerson. He's a stopgap defensive outfielder at best and his offensive performance levels (BA driven OBP) would be difficult to maintain over a significant span of time.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

So long as he can continue to get bunts down, and so long as Bruce is in AAA (on his merits), I'll take him versus lefties. The regression of Griffey could be the "surprise" story this year. The running label on Griffey in the popular press has been that he's been productive when he's healthy. This may be the year even that's not true.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 02-03-2008 at 03:57 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Hopper is a fine piece to have on many teams, and he could start for some. However when yuor OF consists of Adam Dunn, Jay Bruce, and Ken Griffey Jr, there just is no room for Hopper. In Louisville last year, Bruce actually posted a better OPS vs. lefties (.982) then he did vs. righties (.905).

He's a really nice guy to have off the bench as a pinch hitter, runner, and defensie sub tho.
    Last edited by reds44; 02-03-2008 at 03:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

If your going to throw JR's numbers vs. lefties out there lets make the argument a fair and balanced one. Dunn doesn't perform as well vs. lefties either: .353 OBP, .789 OPS and his defense makes even the biggest fan close one eye. That being said between giving Dunn a rest in left and JR a rest in right Hopper will get some at bats. Hopper is a guy who can come off the bench and give your vets a needed rest when a tough Lefty is on the mound.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I really don't mind him off the bench, as a spot leadoff guy. I just wish he possessed better speed to help compensate for his nearly unbelievable lack of power.

Over 4000 career plate appearances....4 dingers, only 105 doubles.

Ouch.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I have never understood the lack of interest in Hopper. He certainly has enough ML AB's to for get about the sample size. He has hit over .330 in those AB's. I see no reason or rationale to justify the tearing down of his ability at the plate.

If the Reds had Cesar Geronimo in CF, I would agree that Hopper is a drop-off......but with the options they have on the team, Hopper is a great defensive outfielder by comparison.

He also fixes the no-lead-off hitter issue.

I also agree that JR is to the point where 100 games is an ambitious goal.....so 4 OF's will get many AB's.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    If your going to throw JR's numbers vs. lefties out there lets make the argument a fair and balanced one. Dunn doesn't perform as well vs. lefties either: .353 OBP, .789 OPS and his defense makes even the biggest fan close one eye. That being said between giving Dunn a rest in left and JR a rest in right Hopper will get some at bats. Hopper is a guy who can come off the bench and give your vets a needed rest when a tough Lefty is on the mound.
    I am happy resting either Jr or Dunn vs lefties. If Hopper can outOPS them and play better defense then he should be in there against lefties. IF Hopper can put up a .385 OBP and .826 OPS vs lefties then he ought to start the ~40 games a year when we face a lefty pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Hopper is a fine piece to have on many teams, and he could start for some. However when yuor OF consists of Adam Dunn, Jay Bruce, and Ken Griffey Jr, there just is no room for Hopper. In Louisville last year, Bruce actually posted a better OPS vs. lefties (.982) then he did vs. righties (.905).

He's a really nice guy to have off the bench as a pinch hitter, runner, and defensie sub tho.
    IMO if Griffey can only OPS .735 against lefties and play awful defense then he has no business playing RF when a lefty starts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I don't know what the Reds gain by having Hopper take ABs away from Jay Bruce or Chris Dickerson. He's a stopgap defensive outfielder at best and his offensive performance levels (BA driven OBP) would be difficult to maintain over a significant span of time.
    I am not saying Hopper should take ABs away from Bruce or Dickerson. I am saying he should take them away from Jr. Based on 2007s numbers Jr should sit when a left handed pitcher starts.

Dunn's career OPS against lefties is .842. No need to sit him against them with any regularity.

Hopper's not going to be out OPSing Adam Dunn. Not even against lefties.

A Dunn/Hopper platoon.

That's a new one.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    IMO if Griffey can only OPS .735 against lefties and play awful defense then he has no business playing RF when a lefty starts.
    That's never going to happen and you know it. Players aren't robots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    That's never going to happen and you know it. Players aren't robots.
    I am not sure what you mean. Why can't Griffey basically platoon vs RHP?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I am not sure what you mean. Why can't Griffey basically platoon vs RHP?

Theoretically it's possible. In reality, it's going to take a large set of cajones to bench your all-century, future 1st ballot HOFer against lefties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?