Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What has been missed in the discussion about Dunn

What has been missed in the discussion about Dunn

Is that he has greatly reduced his strikeouts this season. He's not even in the Top 10 in the NL, and he's 16(!) behind the leader, Ryan Howard.

And the natural result of that is: a .200 batting average and 3 homeruns. If you don't like the new "and improved" Adam Dunn, then stop complaining about the strikeouts!!
    "Oh, look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What has been missed in the discussion about Dunn

He's also currently second in all of the majors in walks, 4 behind someone everybody's pitching around, Pujols.

His OBP is currently a little under 400 and 10 points higher than his career totals. The only thing that's really missing here is his power, his SLG is at 351 right now.

He ain't getting anything good to swing at. Unfortunately I don't think Dusty is doing him any favors by telling him to be more aggresssive. He's seeing LESS pitches as a result, and is putting balls into play earlier, instead of waiting for HIS pitch.

He's putting the PITCHERS pitches into play, instead of putting HIS pitches in the seats.

JMO.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Schnickelfritz

He still runs like he has a pachyderm on his back.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    He still runs like he has a pachyderm on his back.
    ...and he's still a better option to lead off than "the speedy Patterson".
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    He ain't getting anything good to swing at. Unfortunately I don't think Dusty is doing him any favors by telling him to be more aggresssive. He's seeing LESS pitches as a result, and is putting balls into play earlier, instead of waiting for HIS pitch.

He's putting the PITCHERS pitches into play, instead of putting HIS pitches in the seats.

JMO.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I agree with this 100%

Bakers hitting approach is really hindering the players for the long term.
    Votto has 1 BB after having solid OBP numbers in the minors
    Hatty has complained about Baker telling him to swing at the 1st pitch
    BP is even more of a hacker, as if that was possible
    Guys like Patterson continue go up with no OBP skills
    Even Kepp has decreases his BB rate

Add this all up, with a very inefficient lineup and do you really have to wonder why the teams offense has been bad?

Sure... maybe they strike out less as a whole, but that doesn't matter if they can't get on base.

I'm most worried about Votto since he's so young in development. You don't take a sucessful player and tell him to try something totally different. You just can't do that. Once Votto gets on a cold streak, which will happen, he'll have no value due to zero OBP skills that he previous had.

Quote Originally Posted by capndees View Post
    Is that he has greatly reduced his strikeouts this season. He's not even in the Top 10 in the NL, and he's 16(!) behind the leader, Ryan Howard.

And the natural result of that is: a .200 batting average and 3 homeruns. If you don't like the new "and improved" Adam Dunn, then stop complaining about the strikeouts!!
    http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/league_lead...eSubFrame=2008

Dunn is 4-5 strikeouts away from being in the top 5 in the NL. I hardly think that says he is reducing his strikeout numbers. Also, Dunn has almost 20 less at-bats than the top 2 leaders in strikeouts in the NL. Given time, he might catch up. His walks are still among the league leaders. I guess his stats say that he is having a bad spring. I wouldn't say it has to do with him striking out less. He and Griffey are both having bad starts, but Dunn is having a really bad start.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/league_lead...eSubFrame=2008

Dunn is 4-5 strikeouts away from being in the top 5 in the NL. I hardly think that says he is reducing his strikeout numbers. Also, Dunn has almost 20 less at-bats than the top 2 leaders in strikeouts in the NL. Given time, he might catch up. His walks are still among the league leaders. I guess his stats say that he is having a bad spring. I wouldn't say it has to do with him striking out less. He and Griffey are both having bad starts, but Dunn is having a really bad start.
    So, I'm guessing you think he's played in 5 less games, huh? Why don't you add back in the WALKS he's taken, and see how many AB's he has...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    I agree with this 100%

Bakers hitting approach is really hindering the players for the long term.
    Votto has 1 BB after having solid OBP numbers in the minors
    Hatty has complained about Baker telling him to swing at the 1st pitch
    BP is even more of a hacker, as if that was possible
    Guys like Patterson continue go up with no OBP skills
    Even Kepp has decreases his BB rate

Add on top of all of that he is messing with some of the players emotions. Both Freel and Hatteberg are upset. Hopper has to be upset as well. We haven't seen Javy in awhile, I'm sure he is thrilled to be on the team.

He has turned them into a bunch of upset players acting out of character. At least it seems Dunn is ignoring him, hopefully the others will as well.

I'd be upset if I was Freel too, and having to watch Corey Patterson flub it up at the top of the lineup against those righties. At least he is doing if over competitiveness and not any other angles. I like that.

Hopper can just be glad he's getting some coffee.

Hatteberg can be upset all he wants, he was insurance for Votto, and unfortunately for him it's not necessary. That's selfishness, because the TEAM is definitely benefitting. I say we trade him and Griffey for some young talent and bring up Jay Bruce now.

Unfortunately BP would be thrust into the 3 hole, and CP would still lead off, but at least Dunn and Company could move up a slot.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Last time I checked, the Reds were in the top 10 of mlb in taking walks. I'll check again.

Edit: Tied for 10th in mlb in walks with 101.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_te...&sortByStat=BB

Not sure what all the fuss is about in terms of Dusty's approach to hitting. Seems to me the Reds are walking at a pretty decent rate.

2nd Edit:

Reds are..........

15th in OBP in all of mlb.

8th in SLG in all of mlb.

11th in batting avg in all of mlb.

Tied for striking out the 6th least amount of times in all of mlb.

7th in total bases.

12th in RBI.

5th in HR.

7th in hits.

8th in doubles.

11th in runs scored.

Pitching:

17th in e.r.a.

1st in K's.

Allowed the 7th least amount of walks.

Tied for 1st in HR's allowed. That's not surprising playing at GABP.

These stats should add up to more wins than we have. Hopefully the cold hitting start will heat up and even things out.
    Last edited by ChatterRed; 04-29-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Last time I checked, the Reds were in the top 10 of mlb in taking walks. I'll check again.

Edit: Tied for 10th in mlb in walks with 101.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_te...&sortByStat=BB

Not sure what all the fuss is about in terms of Dusty's approach to hitting. Seems to me the Reds are walking at a pretty decent rate.

2nd Edit:

Reds are..........

15th in OBP in all of mlb.

8th in SLG in all of mlb.

11th in batting avg in all of mlb.

Tied for striking out the 6th least amount of times in all of mlb.

7th in total bases.

12th in RBI.

5th in HR.

7th in hits.

8th in doubles.

11th in runs scored.

Pitching:

17th in e.r.a.

1st in K's.

Allowed the 7th least amount of walks.

Tied for 1st in HR's allowed. That's not surprising playing at GABP.

These stats should add up to more wins than we have. Hopefully the cold hitting start will heat up and even things out.
    1 - Yes, we have guys with high BA/OBP/SLG/OPS - unfortunately they are all hitting 5th or later in the lineup... hence, the lack of runs scored on a consistent basis.

2 - When one player accounts for over 1/4 of your total walks, that isn't an indication of good patience across the lineup, it's an indication that your lineup is so crappily structured, that they are going to pitch around your most potent bat whenever and wherever possible.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

And, just piling on now, but:

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    Tonight's lineup (4/29)

From Fay:

Quote:
    Corey Patterson cf
    Jeff Keppinger ss
    Ken Griffey Jr. rf
    Brandon Phillips 2b
    Adam Dunn lf
    Edwin Encarnacion 3b
    Joey Votto 1b
    Paul Bako c
    Johnny Cueto p

v. RH Joel Pineiro
    Quote Originally Posted by doug dirt
    Our top 3 hitters in OPS are batting 6-7-8.
    WOW, can't believe we aren't scoring enough runs - I blame it on the Pitcher, who isn't getting these guys in enough!!! Surely Corey Patterson batting 1st can use his speed to get these guys in right?!?!?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Thank God Dunn isn't signed long term.

He's Dave Kingman, part two.

This isn't a fluke that he's hitting .202. Dunn's always been a poor average hitter. He hit .213 one year, .234 another. .247 another, and never has hit .270.

He should never bat higher than 6th or 7th. When 2 of your top 5 batters bat .200, it's hard to score runs. Dusty's going to get tired of this and make some changes.

Wow, this is like the anti-Dunn side of redszone. I think Dunn is a very good and occasionally great run producer, that is when he's not trying so hard NOT to strike out.

Do 4 straight 40 HR seasons and a career .381 OBP (higher than Pete Rose) mean nothing to you?!?
    "Oh, look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!"

Turn Off Ads?