Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Wonder

No Wonder

In the Reds 30 games this year, roughly one third (9) have been against these pitchers:

Brandon Webb
    Dan Haren
    Cole Hammels
    Ian Snell
    Carlos Zambrano
    Tom Gorzelanny
    Brad Penny
    Tim Hudson
    Yovani Gallardo

These guys were an average 14-8 last year with an average of 3.49 ERA.

Add Pat Maholm and Jonathon Sanchez who have ERA"s in the 3's this year, and that is 11 games against very tough pitchers.

The Reds are a combined 2-9 against them this year.

Now granted, a championship team needs to be able to win against all pitchers, but I think the Reds will have a much better recored once they get more games in against the Nationals, the Astros, and other teams with weaker pitching.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No Wonder

Your post has merit, for sure, and I wish we could claim that the hitting woes were due to the outstanding pitching we've faced as opposed to simply being in a collective slump.

The Reds are in a collective slump. Guys look outright fooled at the plate and are taking bad swings at "pitcher's pitches." The top of our lineup can't get on base, and when someone does, we can't get him in. Guys are trying to hit balls into rivers instead of into gaps.

That said, Tim Hudson was simply "on" yesterday. His location was as accurate as I've seen and he movement on his fastball was impressive. The Reds got him at the wrong time.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    Your post has merit, for sure, and I wish we could claim that the hitting woes were due to the outstanding pitching we've faced as opposed to simply being in a collective slump.

The Reds are in a collective slump. Guys look outright fooled at the plate and are taking bad swings at "pitcher's pitches." The top of our lineup can't get on base, and when someone does, we can't get him in. Guys are trying to hit balls into rivers instead of into gaps.

That said, Tim Hudson was simply "on" yesterday. His location was as accurate as I've seen and he movement on his fastball was impressive. The Reds got him at the wrong time.
    More like Hudson got the Reds at the right time. If I was a good pitcher, 3.50 ERA or below, I would be frothing at the mouth to face hitters like Dunn and Griffey, especially outside of GABP. The reason we don't beat the good pitchers is we have too many hitters who don't do the necessary things to make those pitchers work for it. Hudson was throwing strikes all night against us because we kept swinging and guessing. The middle of the lineup will be black hole for this team until we are well out of it. Then they will pickup about Mid June and everyone will say that was never the case. I'm tired of seeing Dunn and Griffey (Phillips as a cleanup hitter?), gimme some young blood with this young pitching!

I think the biggest part of the problem is the first ball hitters. If they'd show a little bit of flippin' PATIENCE at the plate they might actually hit something worthwhile.

Paul Maholm is really coming into his own, he's challenging himself which is great. Read his comments about the game against the Phillies which he shut them down. In a nutshell he wanted to challenge the best team and see if he could beat them, he did in a two hitter.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Let's not forget the future HOF'er Jack Cassel.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

We've already played the Astros and Giants.

Look at what JoJo Reyes (formerly of Jodeci, I believe?) did to the Reds tonight.

The team just flat out stinks offensively. I think we're the worst in the league.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

*head*desk*

All this potential and they're still being embarrassed by teams like Pittsburgh and Atlanta.

Sorry boys, but I'm thisclose to being D-O-N-E with this team. Constant humiliation is wearing and frankly, I'm tired. They don't care, so why should I?

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    *head*desk*

All this potential and they're still being embarrassed by teams like Pittsburgh and Atlanta.

Sorry boys, but I'm thisclose to being D-O-N-E with this team. Constant humiliation is wearing and frankly, I'm tired. They don't care, so why should I?
    Every year I tell my Reds friends I will send them an email when the season is over, when the combination of the standings and the talent on this team means there is no more legitimate hope for the Reds contending this year...

...that email went out a few minutes ago. It's over...again.

I'm beginning to think this team just ain't very good.

Sucks don't it....

I know some of you guys have been through this for far longer than I have, and maybe have more faith than I do. But after 14 years, I can't help but think "is it ever going to be our turn"? And answering my own question with "nope."

I don't think so, I had such hope when Castellini took the team, but his promises are about as good as Lindners were.

I don't think so, I had such hope when Castellini took the team, but his promises are about as good as Lindners were.
    As bad as things are, and they're pretty bad, don't compare Castellini to Lindner. We are paying for the sins of the Banana Man/Power Ranger and its going to take us a while to dig out. Lindner's incompetance is is the sole cause of where we are at.

*head*desk*

I believe that tonight is the night, after 22 years of Reds fandom, that I call it quits.

I simply don't like this franchise anymore, and don't really want to watch them or hear about them.

Bruce, Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, and Bailey or not, this franchise has no hope. This is simply a lost cause, and I'm done being a part of it.

I'm with you, foxfire.

I enjoy baseball and have followed the reds thru the good times as well as the 100 loss times.
    I will still follow them.
    That being said, this is the least entertaining team I have seen for a long time.
    I like listening to Votto's AB'S or Volquez/Cueto' s pitching.
    Other than that,there isnt a whole lot to hold a person's attention.
    I admit, every day this week, I listened to the sports on radio thinking maybe the reds would call up Jay Bruce.
    They said tonight the reds going back to 2006, have had one and i repeat one winning road trip.
    That is amazing !

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

That's a real valid point, but I've maintained that the offense looks equally inept whether it's against those guys or the likes of Kendrick, Maholm, Sampson, Cassel, Pineiro, Reyes, etc., etc.

That's a lot more telling about the Reds IMO.
    Last edited by BluegrassRedleg; 05-04-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Turn Off Ads?