Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you have confidence in Dusty Baker as a manager of the Cincinnati Reds?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I have alot of confidence in Dusty Baker

4 5.80%
  • Yes I have some confidence in Dusty Baker

12 17.39%
  • No opinion/Too early to tell

15 21.74%
  • I have reservations, and am discouraged in Dusty Baker

21 30.43%
  • I have absolutely no confidence in Dusty Baker

17 24.64%

Thread: Redszone Dusty Baker Fan Confidence Poll - Month 2

Redszone Dusty Baker Fan Confidence Poll - Month 2

I posted a similar poll the first week of the season and plan on doing so each month. What is your opinion of Dusty Baker?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Dusty Baker Fan Confidence Poll - Month 2

Still think he sucks. He is a people person, not a baseball team manager.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I don't like him as a manager.
    But as FDR reportedly said about Somoza: "He's OUR S.O.B."
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Meh...only superb or atrocious managers really impact wins in a consistent fashion....Dusty is somewhere in the middle I guess and his sins probably mostly are erased by those of opposing managers.

Now if someone wanted to argue the issue from an opportunity cost stand point, that might have some legs....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Meh...only superb or atrocious managers really impact wins in a consistent fashion....Dusty is somewhere in the middle I guess and his sins probably mostly are erased by those of opposing managers.

Now if someone wanted to argue the issue from an opportunity cost stand point, that might have some legs....
    I think we are getting to the atrocious point. The lineup construction and random bench player playing time is disconcerting at least. He has shown nothing in the recent past (the end of his stint with the Cubs) to suggest a change for the better.

What this team has wasted in terms of run support for the pitching that they have gotten, and his blind-squirrel-finds-a-nut-every-now-and-then lineups are driving me crazy.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

You have to play with the hand your delt. The Reds were a poorly constructed club and it is really showing. When going well they can play with any team in the NL. When going bad they are an absolute train wreck. I don't fault Dusty for the team's faults. Its true that Dusty watned Patterson and hits him leadoff but in reality it is a moot point when you consider the complete lack of production from Jr, Dunn, and Philliips.

Dusty ain't the biggest problem here. Not even close.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I've been pleasantly surprised with his handling of the pitching staff, both rotation and bullpen. However, he is single-handedly keeping the offense stagnant through his lineup choices and strategy decisions. I'm not exactly pleased with him, but it could've been worse. I'm pretty much holding my breath. At least he hasn't broken anybody... yet.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I've been pleasantly surprised with his handling of the pitching staff, both rotation and bullpen. However, he is single-handedly keeping the offense stagnant through his lineup choices and strategy decisions. I'm not exactly pleased with him, but it could've been worse. I'm pretty much holding my breath. At least he hasn't broken anybody... yet.
    Single-handedly?

No offense, but give me a break.

I want to comment on the poll.

I think that is one of the best worded polls that I have seen on RZ.

In addition it appears that the respondents have been very reasonable in kind, with no real questionable swings, I mean it seems entirely well thought out and balanced and very interesting.

As far as Dusty, each of you have covered it well I feel.

I think he has done a good job in handling the pitching overall. Unless he decides to bat one of them lead off.

But the rest?....

That is all.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-03-2008 at 05:18 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I am discouraged to say the least. The lineup construction was pretty bad, and he played a part in bringing Patterson to Cincinnati. That has not impressed me so far. It has only been 1 month, but he has some work to do. I do agree he has done a good job of managing the rotation, and not over-doing the pitch counts. There were quite a few people who were concerned about that.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

bump

Turn Off Ads?