Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rich Hill

Threaded View

Rich Hill

I was shocked to learn that the Cubs sent Hill down to the minors today because of his control problems. He was supposed to be the Cubs #2 starter this year. He's a young lefty workhorse with some decent success (ERA < 4.00 over the last two seasons) at the ML level. He's also a big strikeout guy with one of the best curveballs in the league. Originally a Reds draftee out of high school, I would love to try and buy low on this guy. Granted, the Cubs may not be interested in selling low (and selling low on Hill would still net a decent return) but I'd see if I could pry him loose.

There have been rumblings of Jr. rumors here in Chicago despite their lack of a need for an OF. I'd dangle Jr. and toss in some sweeteners (Francisco/Maloney?) to see if it would pique their interest.

If they have no interest in Jr., I'd float the idea of an Arroyo/Hill swap. They'd get a guy who could step into their playoff-ready rotation and we'd get younger, cheaper, and left-handed. Bronson's contract certainly wouldn't be an issue for the Cubs.

Finally if all else fails, maybe he would even be a candidate for an Adam Dunn swap if the Reds decide not to re-sign Dunn. Dunn's always hit well in Wrigley, and as long as the Cubs would be willing to slide Soriano back over to CF and put up with a horrible OF defense, it could be worth a shot. I'd rather keep Dunn, but I'd love to move him for Hill and then make a run at Teixeira.

Regardless, I think Hill is someone we should be targeting. Imagine this rotation for the next four years:

Harang
    Volquez
    Hill
    Cueto
    Bailey/Thompson

What do you think- what would it take?
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-03-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?