Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Just got home from watching JoJo Koufax

Just got home from watching JoJo Koufax

disappointing....very disappointing. Even the usher got a laugh at my expense when she saw my Reds hat and bp jersey.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

Re: Just got home from watching JoJo Koufax

I was going to start a thread to announce my current disgust, but I figured this thread would do. I like the title very much The Reds seem to have a knack for turning bad/average players into Hall of Famers. Bill Hall and Mark Dersoa are only still in MLB because of the Reds.

Anyway, this team is quickly becoming unwatchable. It's one thing if they aren't going to play in those "meaningful" games we always talk about, but this particular team isn't even going to let us "pretend" or fool ourselves this year.

This unit is just dreadful right now. I know they are "trying" but it sure doesn't look like it. Sometimes it's as if Adam Dunn's goal is to pop out to right. It's almost scripted. And I don't mean to pick on Dunn-- he's certainly not the only one stinking up the joint.

But honestly, above all, it is simply not enjoyable watching this team. It's May 4th, and I already have little desire to take three hours out of my Sunday to watch this mess.

Extremely frustrated right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I was going to start a thread to announce my current disgust, but I figured this thread would do. I like the title very much The Reds seem to have a knack for turning bad/average players into Hall of Famers. Bill Hall and Mark Dersoa are only still in MLB because of the Reds.

Anyway, this team is quickly becoming unwatchable. It's one thing if they aren't going to play in those "meaningful" games we always talk about, but this particular team isn't even going to let us "pretend" or fool ourselves this year.

This unit is just dreadful right now. I know they are "trying" but it sure doesn't look like it. Sometimes it's as if Adam Dunn's goal is to pop out to right. It's almost scripted. And I don't mean to pick on Dunn-- he's certainly not the only one stinking up the joint.

But honestly, above all, it is simply not enjoyable watching this team. It's May 4th, and I already have little desire to take three hours out of my Sunday to watch this mess.

Extremely frustrated right now.

....and Glavine going for ATL today to just put the cherry on top.

I'm with you, this feels like about July/August on the unwatchable scale and its only May 3rd.

Well, there was a bright spot in today's game.. When the Reds were down something like 7-1.. they came back to make it 8-5 or something like that.. That was good to see some life in them before the pitching staff imploded again..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    ....and Glavine going for ATL today to just put the cherry on top.

I'm with you, this feels like about July/August on the unwatchable scale and its only May 3rd.
    They actually got within two runs before the wheels fell off.

You could feel the change at the ballpark, it was quite cool while it lasted.

Reds might have caught the Braves if they hadn't run themselves out of the first couple of innings.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Anyway, this team is quickly becoming unwatchable...

-snip-

...But honestly, above all, it is simply not enjoyable watching this team. It's May 4th, and I already have little desire to take three hours out of my Sunday to watch this mess.
    You mean to tell me they WERE watchable when they were trotting Ramon Ortiz, Brandon Claussen, Eric Milton and Luke Hudson out to the mound a few seasons ago? I'm sure you long for the days of Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, Josias Manzanillio, Osvlado Fernandez, Jose Acevedo, Brian Reith, Jeff Austin, Lance Davis, Brandon Larsen, D'Angelo Jimenez, Danny Graves starring in "The Starting Pitcher Experiment," Austin Kearns working out at 3rd base for a full offseason but never in front of a camera, Wily Mo Pena's hatred of walks, the Ground into Casey Play, Ricky Stone, "Bullpen Day" starters: Jose Rijo, Carlos Almanzar, Luis Pineda, and Todd Van Poppel, and the unforgettable Jason Romano.

Lets be honest -- if you're still wearing your Reds gear diligently after the last 7 years, you aren't going anywhere.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Lets be honest -- if you're still wearing your Reds gear diligently after the last 7 years, you aren't going anywhere.
    well that sums it up pretty much right there! I putt like Happy Gilmore(beginning of the movie) and can't make myself quit and not only do I still display my Reds gear but I keep acquiring more!!

What's wrong with me

You mean to tell me they WERE watchable when they were trotting Ramon Ortiz, Brandon Claussen, Eric Milton and Luke Hudson out to the mound a few seasons ago? I'm sure you long for the days of Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, Josias Manzanillio, Osvlado Fernandez, Jose Acevedo, Brian Reith, Jeff Austin, Lance Davis, Brandon Larsen, D'Angelo Jimenez, Danny Graves starring in "The Starting Pitcher Experiment," Austin Kearns working out at 3rd base for a full offseason but never in front of a camera, Wily Mo Pena's hatred of walks, the Ground into Casey Play, Ricky Stone, "Bullpen Day" starters: Jose Rijo, Carlos Almanzar, Luis Pineda, and Todd Van Poppel, and the unforgettable Jason Romano.

That is the most unreadable collection of baseball names in any one paragraph on this planet.

Worth The Wait

At least I could laugh at those teams. With this one, for some reason I find it less funny when guys named Dunn, Griffey, Phillips, and Arroyo are embarrassing themselves

Wife, daughter and I were at the Sat night game as well. Kiddo only made it through 5 innings before we had to go.

Ross just missed hitting one out to CF.

Only other thing I noticed was that lots of Reds batters were chasing high fastballs. Is that a sign of guys pressing, or is it a sign of an undisciplined bunch at the plate?

Belisle actually kept the Reds in the game for a while.

The Reds are now tied with San Diego in the race for the #1 overall pick in the 2009 draft.

For some reason this years futility hurts worse? I don't know if it was the expectations going into the season, or what, but for some reason it's more painful this year...

Hearing George rant and rave about how good 'Chipper' (or whom ever is the golden boy of the other team) is doesn't make it any easier. But honestly, just so this doesn't turn into a George bashing thread, he's so positive and upbeat, he almost has to talk about the other team cause there's so little to rave about on this one.

I've been a Reds fan since the late 60's and I won't stop being one anytime soon, but I'm finding it hard to watch night after night. Playing as the Reds in my MLB08 the Show season is only slightly more rewarding, but I can still make almost any pitcher look like Cy Young.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    For some reason this years futility hurts worse? I don't know if it was the expectations going into the season, or what, but for some reason it's more painful this year...

Hearing George rant and rave about how good 'Chipper' (or whom ever is the golden boy of the other team) is doesn't make it any easier. But honestly, just so this doesn't turn into a George bashing thread, he's so positive and upbeat, he almost has to talk about the other team cause there's so little to rave about on this one.

I've been a Reds fan since the late 60's and I won't stop being one anytime soon, but I'm finding it hard to watch night after night. Playing as the Reds in my MLB08 the Show season is only slightly more rewarding, but I can still make almost any pitcher look like Cy Young.
    It's probably the expectation thing for me as well. I really thought the Reds were going to at least be competitive this year. I didn't expect magic or a World Series appearance, but I did have visions of 85+ wins and a contention in my head. Perhaps that was my fault, but for some reason, I sort of "believed" in this team headed into the season. I bought the EI package for the first time in 3 years (got sick of watching on the internet), and I was all excited-- come to find, this team is just as bad (maybe worse) than the ones with those awful names mentioned above. Pretty disheartening.

This unit is just dreadful right now. I know they are "trying" but it sure doesn't look like it.
    I think that we are seeing the manifestation of group, that is team synergy at work.

They all seem so very long ago.

We who are fans of the Reds have actually been through all of that and still exist as Reds fans. At least this season doesn't seem to be as much of an extension of the previous seven losing seasons that we as a collective group took together one at a time.

You mean to tell me they WERE watchable when they were trotting Ramon Ortiz, Brandon Claussen, [cut] .
    While I agree that those teams weren't the best formula for winning a pennant, the better hitting on those teams made them more exciting.
    At least there was always hope when the Reds started hitting.

This year, it feels as though the game is automatically lost when we are down by 3.

Not to mention, I lose more faith in this "improved" pitching staff with each passing game.. particularly the bullpen. Arroyo's start yesterday was extremely depressing. The thought of being stuck with him for 3 years is not a good feeling at all.

It just seems as though we've sat through a lot of losses this year in which the Reds were totally dominated.

Marty is already in his August form as well. Usually he starts off the season calmer and then gets more bitter as the season wears on. This year, he's been piling on the team since about week 2.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?