Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to?

Re: What am I listening to?

Not really digging the new National album yet, two listens, maybe it'll grow on me some, I like a few of the tracks, but otherwise lacks any variety or memorable stand-outs that Alligator and Boxer had. Very minimalistic as far as arrangements go, it's like listening to monotone spoken word, yawn inducing most of the time.

The lack of buzz about it probably says that I'm not the only one feeling that way. I like them enough to give it a few chances, but inital impression is disappointment I guess.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...nal/highviolet

Universal acclaim = Lack of buzz?

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Not really digging the new National album yet, two listens, maybe it'll grow on me some, I like a few of the tracks, but otherwise lacks any variety or memorable stand-outs that Alligator and Boxer had. Very minimalistic as far as arrangements go, it's like listening to monotone spoken word, yawn inducing most of the time.

The lack of buzz about it probably says that I'm not the only one feeling that way. I like them enough to give it a few chances, but inital impression is disappointment I guess.
    I'm listening through it for the first time right now, and so far I can see where the spoken word aspect you're talking about comes from. But as far as arrangements, it seems like there are a few bigger and grander arrangements on this one as far as The National goes. Bloodbuzz Ohio has a lot going on in it, it sounds like it was produced to be the biggest sounding National song yet.

White Denim - Fits. It's what garage rock should sound like, with a touch of psychedelia for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
    Good metascores from blog critics and mags aren't really what I was referring to, was aware of those, but just the lack of general local talk here in Cincy or amongst friends in Brooklyn, or user review sites etc..,

I do like several songs quite a bit, but it is over-all a very sad, depressing album. Not really something I'll listen to nearly as often as a result, and "album of the year" seems a bit premature.

Any ways, has it's moments, maybe just not as complete or interesting as their first two. I would be more accepting if it had some more guitar work and energy at times. I just hope they don't give into pretentiousness and become boring and lame down the road, from here on out. They are very talented.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I'm listening through it for the first time right now, and so far I can see where the spoken word aspect you're talking about comes from. But as far as arrangements, it seems like there are a few bigger and grander arrangements on this one as far as The National goes. Bloodbuzz Ohio has a lot going on in it, it sounds like it was produced to be the biggest sounding National song yet.
    I always liked the brothers' guitar playing and it's missing on this one for the most part. Bloodbuzz is a good song, but not even as strong as Slow Show or Apartment Story or Guest Room in my opinion, but that's all subjective.

Then again I really dig "Anyone's Ghost" "Little Faith" "Lemonworld" "Conversation 16" and "Terrible Love." Outside of that, just have to shrug so far.

Don't want to be that guy, but High Violet is The National's fifth album.

Quote Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
    Don't want to be that guy, but High Violet is The National's fifth album.
    I should've said "last" 2 albums not "first" 2, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I always liked the brothers' guitar playing and it's missing on this one for the most part. Bloodbuzz is a good song, but not even as strong as Slow Show or Apartment Story or Guest Room in my opinion, but that's all subjective.

Then again I really dig "Anyone's Ghost" "Little Faith" "Lemonworld" "Conversation 16" and "Terrible Love." Outside of that, just have to shrug so far.
    I would agree with you there. After one listen through, it was definitely enjoyable, but didn't really have any attention grabbing moments. As of now, I still prefer Boxer and Alligator. But both of those albums were growers for me, and The National seems to the best at their most somber moments, so maybe this one will grow on me too after a couple more listens.

High five!

Heard Kurt Elling on Mariane McPartland's "Piano Jazz" last night so I had to check out some other stuff. I found this cut of him singing one my favorite Billy Strayhorn tunes, "Lush Life" live. Wow.

One more day until the new Black Keys album. Nice birthday present.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

B.O.B - "The Adventures of Bobby Ray"

If you're a hip-hop fan, this falls somewhere in the category of "not quite as good as Lupe Fiasco or Kanye West" and "Better than Drake & Kid Cudi" -- I know that's a big range, but he's somewhere stuck directly in the middle.

However, having said that, "Airplanes pt. II" is the best hip-hop track I've heard in a while. It's got guest spots from Hayley Williams (lead singer from rock-group Paramore) and Eminem. Trouble is (at least as far as Bobby Ray is concerned), Emimem absolutely steals the show on this track. Best I've heard Eminem sound since the 90s. If this is in any way reflective of what his new album is going to sound like, I'm totally stoked.

I know it's tough to put out a single where you're the second banana on the track, but Airplanes is a vastly superior song to that "Nothin' on You" mess that is clogging the airwaves right now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    B.O.B - "The Adventures of Bobby Ray"

If you're a hip-hop fan, this falls somewhere in the category of "not quite as good as Lupe Fiasco or Kanye West" and "Better than Drake & Kid Cudi" -- I know that's a big range, but he's somewhere stuck directly in the middle.

However, having said that, "Airplanes pt. II" is the best hip-hop track I've heard in a while. It's got guest spots from Hayley Williams (lead singer from rock-group Paramore) and Eminem. Trouble is (at least as far as Bobby Ray is concerned), Emimem absolutely steals the show on this track. Best I've heard Eminem sound since the 90s. If this is in any way reflective of what his new album is going to sound like, I'm totally stoked.

I know it's tough to put out a single where you're the second banana on the track, but Airplanes is a vastly superior song to that "Nothin' on You" mess that is clogging the airwaves right now.
    I saw them at Coachella and thought they were great.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Playing around with a few things.

Still enamored with the latest Avett Brothers album, I've decided to revisit the parts of their career I missed, beginning with the latest and working backward. I downloaded "Emotionalism" and have had a chance to listen to some, but not all of it. I very much like what i hear. "The Ballad of Love and Hate" was particularly touching. I love their songwriting and phrasing.

I've also been dipping a bit into some basic country. I downloaded David Ball's new one, and think that if this kind of stuff was what Nashville was all about, the world would be a more interesting and authentic place.

I like downloading free itunes music, then purchasing things I particularly like. The Soft Pack sounds good, if a bit cynical. Today I listened to "Broken" by Cherryholmes. Maybe I should have known who they were, but I didn't. This song really brings out the Celtic roots of bluegrass. Very nice.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The Black Keys - Brothers

Like it a lot.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?