Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to?

Re: What am I listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I'll have to check that out then. I'm not much of a rock fan, at least not anything recorded in the last 25 years
    What's wrong with modern rock? Don't you think there is something wrong with making blanket judgements instead of each band on an individual basis? Why is it that young people should appreciate classic acts from before their time, but elders cannot appreciate some of today's true talents?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What's wrong with modern rock? Don't you think there is something wrong with making blanket judgements instead of each band on an individual basis? Why is it that young people should appreciate classic acts from before their time, but elders cannot appreciate some of today's true talents?
    I don't throw out everything recent, but it's just that I'm not familiar with a lot of the newer stuff. For me it's a style thing though. I just like the older styles. Most of the new stuff just doesn't do it for me. Occasionally I will hear something I like, but that's usually the exception.
    Last edited by OldRightHander; 05-11-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    You like Hank III?
    more than the rest of his family.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

My latest obsession has been with Pulp's two disc John Peel Sessions.

I've also found myself listening to a lot of Elvis Costello recently, primarily Armed Forces.

I've been on a jazz kick the last couple days. I'm not sure what brought it on. I used to listen to a lot of it growing up, but not as much in recent years. Then I was flipping around on XM and hit the jazz stations and I've been listening to it all weekend, with the exception of a couple plays of an Alison Krauss disc I especially enjoy.

And it's a baseball song, too! Todd Snider in a hotel room singing about Dock Ellis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sugCwMxwPRk
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Road Runner radio - Solid Gold Oldies (great stuff, btw...)
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    more than the rest of his family.
    If you like old country, check out Leroy Powell if you haven't already.

I'll have to check that out then. I'm not much of a rock fan, at least not anything recorded in the last 25 years, but I can stomach some country. I've listened to that channel a couple times, but maybe I need to pay attention to the names.
    You should check out Wolfmother, they are a newer band, but they sound like Classic Rock.
    Let's make some noise!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Jason Mraz -- "We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things"

Fun album, especially after the lackluster outing that was "Mr. A-Z" There's one song on here, "The Dynamo of Volition" that is as close to pure cool as anything I've heard in a while.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What's wrong with modern rock?
    It's mastered poorly? :
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

In the changer is an eclectic mix of Ryan Adams, Wilco, Ben Harper and G. Love & Special Sauce.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It's mastered poorly? :
    That's certainly part of it, but with me it's mainly style. Another thing that I don't like about a lot of modern music is the amount of hip hop and rap influence. I can't stand hip hop and it seems that when I'm jumping around on XM I hear a lot of newer pop or rock that has a heavy hip hop influence.

That's certainly part of it, but with me it's mainly style. Another thing that I don't like about a lot of modern music is the amount of hip hop and rap influence. I can't stand hip hop and it seems that when I'm jumping around on XM I hear a lot of newer pop or rock that has a heavy hip hop influence.
    I can see that, as rap lyrics certainly became more prominent in rock. A lot of new stuff is pretty electronic these days too. What about a band like the Foo Fighters?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Slash always wanted to be Keith Richards.
    Keith Richards always wanted to be Slash.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Turn Off Ads?