Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to?

Re: What am I listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    Have you heard the new Mount Eerie cd Lost Wisdom? It's AWESOME.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I really dig that new Mt. Eerie album. Julie Doiron's vocals, formerly of Eric's Trip, complements Phil's voice quite well.
    Oh, yeah. Great album. From what I understand, he'd been trying to work with Julie Doiron for quite some time. The results reveal this to be a wise move.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Ha, short term memory.

Also speaking of, Julie Doiron's newest cd is no slouch either.

Tori Amos Live at Montreaux.

I really dig Tori Amos.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Johnny,

Ditto on Kings of Leon. Love the new CD, it's amazing the first play though I was upset as I thought they went even more arena than their previous CD. However, by the second time through I was hooked. Those Brits know good "American" music when they hear it. Too bad we don't know it.
    They really give off a late-70's, NYC underground vibe, even with their new, bigger sound.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

At the moment, Rich Mullins...on my brand spanking new ipod. For details, see my thread about learning things the hard way.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I just bought Kings of Leon tickets for their show in Louisville. I'm so excited. I can't believe how fast their shows are selling out. In Columbus, the cheapest tickets are over $100. They're sold out in Indy. In Chicago, the cheapest tickets are over $350 with only a handful of seats left. Craziness.

BTW, I'm listening to them right now too. I love this band.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I just bought Kings of Leon tickets for their show in Louisville. I'm so excited. I can't believe how fast their shows are selling out. In Columbus, the cheapest tickets are over $100. They're sold out in Indy. In Chicago, the cheapest tickets are over $350 with only a handful of seats left. Craziness.

BTW, I'm listening to them right now too. I love this band.
    I went with my wife and it rocked. The Kings were great live. I can't wait to see them again.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Anberlin - Feel Good Drag
    Rise Against - Re-Education (Through Labor)
    Pop Evil - 100 in a 55
    Shinedown - Second Chance

place these on repeat and I'm happy for about an hour.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Remains by Alkaline Trio
    De Stijl by The White Stripes
    Pinkerton by Weezer
    System of a Down by System of a Down
    Riddles Are Abound Tonight by Sausage

And any Superchunk I can get my hands on!

Pavement - Brighten the Corners: Nicene Creedence Edition

I think of all the Pavement re-issues, this one is my favorite as far as "extras" go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post

I think of all the Pavement re-issues, this one is my favorite as far as "extras" go.
    I pretty much bought it just for the Space Ghost clips.

I'm listening to a lot of Fugazi at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post

I agree completely. Brighten the Corners probably isn't one of my top-three favorite Pavement albums, but overall, I might enjoy this re-issue the most.

To me, this album (among others made in the early to mid fifties) marks a high water mark in American music, a time when most of the great big band players were still in their prime and Bebop was ascending. The melding of the two, the traditions of the big band era combined with these smaller arrangements, infused with the innovations of Charlie Parker, was a golden age of music.

This 1954 studio date by Coleman Hawkins finds the tenor saxophonist in great form, joined by a fine group that includes pianist Billy Taylor, bassist Milt Hinton, drummer Jo Jones, trombonist Eddie Bert, and trumpeter Emmett Berry. Hawkins' boppish take on "Cheek to Cheek" moves at a fast clip, though he never exhausts himself of ideas. The full sextet is heard on a portion of the session, including a lush but brisk take of "Lullaby of Birdland," a snappy run through "Get Happy," and the old swinger "Blue Lou." There are many strong solos by the supporting cast, but it's difficult to eclipse the sound of Hawkins' tenor when he is in top form as on this CD. Although it is hard for many collectors to afford picking up every single recommended release by Coleman Hawkins, this one should be grabbed quickly, as Prevue's life as a reissue label ended rather prematurely. Ken Dryden, All Music Guide
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I'm listening to Adrian Belew's Inner Revolution. It's one of the best albums I've ever heard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28157VPAt-8

Uhm, so...

I know I'm late to the party and all.. But I'm in a rut, poor in this economy, and just had a lot of tragedies that haven't allowed me to be me, so to speak...

But I just found kings of Leon.. Thanks quite a bit to this thread(the multiple mentions by many multiple posters), and a catching an SNL appearance by luck... And then not being able to get them out of my head.

I've only listened to "Only by the night" but wow, what a great album.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?