Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to?

Re: What am I listening to?

I won't argue with you about the lyrics--Pavement's didn't do anything for me either. I particularly enjoy the music from both, though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Malkmus lives about 1.5 miles from me and I've seen the Jicks live about 10 times. The lyrics have gotten progressively worse as he's become obsessed with the idea of Steve Malkmus, lead guitar player. In fact, the last time I saw them if it wasn't for Janet Weiss being such a great drummer I'd probably have bailed. BORING.
    At the risk of sounding like a stalker, where does he live?

While I can agree that lyrically Pavement isn't very deep, Malkmus does offer some enjoyable wordplay. He's stated before most of the lyrics are toss-offs and not meant to be taken too seriously. One particularly enjoyable and apt line from Pig Lib, "He couldn't commit to the mental jujitsu of switching his hittin'." I also really appreciate the song Embassy Row.

As for Malkmus' post-Pavement output, it's been a strange path. The first two were super mellow (a trend that began building after Wowee Zowee) and has ended with lots of faux-psychedelia and noodling. That said, I like Face the Truth nearly as much as any of the Pavement albums.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a stalker, where does he live?

While I can agree that lyrically Pavement isn't very deep, Malkmus does offer some enjoyable wordplay. He's stated before most of the lyrics are toss-offs and not meant to be taken too seriously. One particularly enjoyable and apt line from Pig Lib, "He couldn't commit to the mental jujitsu of switching his hittin'." I also really appreciate the song Embassy Row.

As for Malkmus' post-Pavement output, it's been a strange path. The first two were super mellow (a trend that began building after Wowee Zowee) and has ended with lots of faux-psychedelia and noodling. That said, I like Face the Truth nearly as much as any of the Pavement albums.
    Laurelhurst..

I also know where he plays foosball with Johnny Marr and Issac Brock but I'm going to keep that to myself.
    Last edited by pedro; 03-02-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

On laurelhurst..

I also know where he plays foosball with Johnny Marr and Issac Brock but I'm going to keep that to myself.
    Maybe not Marr anymore
    Last edited by westofyou; 03-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Johnny's apparently been there in the last month, even though he's not touring with MM this time around.

Laurelhurst..

I knew he lived in the SE. I've seen him in Beaulahland and the Goodfoot. In Portland, especially if you attend shows, it's hard not to run into these guys. Almost ran Britt Daniel over on my bike a couple months back.

And to return this thread to it's rightful (non-Portlandcentric) topic:

Autolux. They've got a bit of a shoegaze sound. They haven't released an album in half a decade (they have one scheduled for this year. Their sound is one I'm not generally drawn to, but there's something almost hypnotic that keeps drawing me back. I definitely recommend an audio perusal.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I knew he lived in the SE. I've seen him in Beaulahland and the Goodfoot. In Portland, especially if you attend shows, it's hard not to run into these guys. Almost ran Britt Daniel over on my bike a couple months back.
    yeah, i know what you mean, i almost ran over willie vlautin from richmond fontaine in my car a few months back, and woy and i saw art alexis at the theater when we went to go see the the simpsons movie.

Middle Cyclone - Neko Case

I've always liked Neko Case pretty well, but something about this album is freaking tearing me apart.

I also like the new Andrew Bird album(s). I am veering dangerously close to an easy listening phase, I think. I blame spring.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Middle Cyclone - Neko Case

I've always liked Neko Case pretty well, but something about this album is freaking tearing me apart.

I also like the new Andrew Bird album(s). I am veering dangerously close to an easy listening phase, I think. I blame spring.
    I was in San Diego recently and had a chance to see Andrew Bird. Remembering how well you spoke of him, I went. It was amazing.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

JUST finished the audio reading of Atlas Shrugged (read by Christopher Hurt - excellent reader btw).

I was in San Diego recently and had a chance to see Andrew Bird. Remembering how well you spoke of him, I went. It was amazing.
    I just recently started listening to Andrew Bird and I'm quickly becoming a big fan.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I saw Andrew Bird in Tennessee a couple years ago, and he was great. I had liked him a bit before then, but I became a big fan after that.

Awesome!!

I don't think the new albums (I bought them as a double set) have been as well received as some of his other stuff, but I absolutely love them.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Airborne Toxic Event
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Savatage- The Dungeons Are Calling
    Megadeth- United Abominations
    Willie Nelson- Stories pt. 4
    Maximum the Hormone- The World (japan)
    Lunarium- Lunariusm (http://www.myspace.com/lunarium)
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?