Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to?

Re: What am I listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Just downloaded the new album by The Civil Wars and am looking forward to giving it a listen.
    It's solid. Strongly reminisent of the Plant/Krauss collaboration a few years back.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

New Strokes, duh:

Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 03-03-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: I give up on this link
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Rebecca Black-she has potential.

YouTube - Rebecca Black - Friday (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Quote Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
    Rebecca Black-she has potential.

YouTube - Rebecca Black - Friday (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
    hilarious!

I'm really enjoying a fairly new band out of Denver called Churchill. You can download their EP, which is really good, for free from Noisetrade. Their Happy/Sad was just released last month and is even better.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Mumford and his Sons, Avetts, Ryan Adams, Elliot Road, G. Love.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Finally picked up Guster's latest album. They're still fantastic on harmonizing vocals.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    New Strokes, duh:
    I'm out of the country and can't download this. It's driving me crazy. What does it sound like?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm out of the country and can't download this. It's driving me crazy. What does it sound like?
    Well, it is kinda fragmented because Julian shared the song writing for the first time, so it's all over the place. It has a few hints of their abilities ('Gratisfaction' stands out in addition to the first single) but overall it's not a return to the quality of their first two albums... :/
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Wow. She's erm, the whole package.

A co-worker recommended Yuk to me earlier today. Checking them out now.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    A co-worker recommended Yuk to me earlier today. Checking them out now.
    "Yuck", the British indie rock band?

"Yuck", the British indie rock band?
    Whoops. Yes, that's them.

Typing. How does it work?!?
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I always liked their song, 'Mr. Yuck is mean/Mr. Yuck is green.' May not be the same group, though.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Whoops. Yes, that's them.

Typing. How does it work?!?
    Coincidentally, just found out about them today and I sit here wondering HOW DID I NOT FIND OUT SOONER!?!? They take all the best influences and perfect that murky 90s lo-fi sound...

Well, it is kinda fragmented because Julian shared the song writing for the first time, so it's all over the place. It has a few hints of their abilities ('Gratisfaction' stands out in addition to the first single) but overall it's not a return to the quality of their first two albums... :/
    I'm enjoying it a lot more now that the "first album in five years" expectations have worn off. Well, that and the whole "we hate each other" press strategy.

It reminds me of the last album in that the first three tracks are really strong, and then things get... curious. I mean, my lord, "You're So Right" is embarrassing, how did it get released? It's like really, really bad Radiohead, with Julian mumbling something about an office romance? Who knows? We all know you've never been in a damn office, Julian.

"Taken for a Fool" at least has a decent chorus, but it has a hell of a time getting there. It's half a good song. And then "Games" sees Julian return to his alter-ego as Senor Crappy with another round of meandering electro-trash. "Call Me Back" is less actively offensive, but still pretty damn boring. The Strokes really struggle when the tempo slows. Which may be why on their first two (excellent) records, they, you know, never did that.

"Gratisfaction" isn't great and is a little cheesy with it's chorus, but at least it has some focus and seems to have a point -- which compared the four aimless songs preceding it, comes as a relief.

"Metabolism" and "Life is Simple in the Moonlight" are better, but suffer from a lack of great melody. They're moderately catchy, for sure, but they could use some more striking instrumentation, or ANYTHING attention-grabbing. A lot of the problem is the Strokes' slave-to-the-metronome rhythm; even when the band sounds "loose" it's still pretty mechanical. It's fine when they ratchet up the BPMs and let the hooks fly. Hell, we all know it's great when they do that. But there's a HUGE drop-off when they slow it down, because when you take out the frantic energy and rapid-fire hooks, there's nothing very interesting happening.

But, man, those first three songs really are great. That's why I have a hard time dismissing this album out-of-hand. The Strokes are a pretty limited band, but they still do their classic sound much better than their myriad of imitators. Disjointed as the band is, the members all seem equally bored with the "Is This It" formula, which is fair enough, but they still do it really well. In fact, "Under the Cover of Darkness" is so casually great that it's almost as if the band finds it too easy to write songs like that anymore. That's understandable, but also a shame, because they really put their imitators to shame when they do.

If the Strokes were a baseball player, they'd be a power hitter who cannot for the life of him hit a crooked pitch. When they get a fastball in their wheelhouse, they're really impressive; they'll crush it 500 feet. But they can whiff pretty epically on those curveballs.

Wow, OK I guess that was pretty long. Cliffnotes version: the Strokes are the musical Juan Francisco. Or something.

Turn Off Ads?