Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to?

Senor Votto

Re: What am I listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    Metallica "Death Magnetic"

They finally remembered how not to suck...some of it reminds me of the good old days (Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, etc.)
    The Unforgiven III is pretty good and I like Judas Kiss. I haven't heard the rest of the new songs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The new Metallica is pretty decent. Much better than St. Anger, but that's not saying much. I still like Load and ReLoad the best, though.

Staind's new album is good from what I've heard so far.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Anybody on here besides me listen to Bebo Norman?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I still like Load and ReLoad the best, though.
    Seriously? Wow. They're decent albums, but come on. Have you tried Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, Ride the Lightning, or the Black album? If not listen to them, they all blow Load and Reload out of the water.

I just bought Death Magnetic today and I'm looking forward to listening to it.

I'm currently listening to the new Kings of Leon songs. I'm liking it. Their new cd comes out on Tuesday. I'll be buying that one too.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Seriously? Wow. They're decent albums, but come on. Have you tried Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, Ride the Lightning, or the Black album? If not listen to them, they all blow Load and Reload out of the water.
    I've heard everything but And Justice for All. I like the Black album alright, but I really don't care for their early stuff. Hetfield couldn't sing and the lyrics were by and large filled with baseless anger. I'm not really into anger for the sake of itself. I liked Load and ReLoad more than the rest of their stuff because it was different and interesting. They put together some really good music that in many cases spanned multiple musical genres. It's not easy to write a countryish or bluesy song that's heavy, but they managed it. They even used a hurdy gurdy at one point; it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I've heard everything but And Justice for All. I like the Black album alright, but I really don't care for their early stuff. Hetfield couldn't sing and the lyrics were by and large filled with baseless anger. I'm not really into anger for the sake of itself. I liked Load and ReLoad more than the rest of their stuff because it was different and interesting. They put together some really good music that in many cases spanned multiple musical genres. It's not easy to write a countryish or bluesy song that's heavy, but they managed it. They even used a hurdy gurdy at one point; it worked.
    Fair enough.

Hetfield still can't sing...lol. I understand the anger part. The music, though, in their earlier albums is unparalled. You could take out all the singing in Master of Puppets and Justice For All and they'd still be great records. I can't think of another band that I would listen to if they only played music. Metallica, at times, is like a heavy metel orchestra. Truely phenomenal.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Ah, Pandora, what have you shown me this week?

Terrorvision, Infectious Grooves, and Suicidal Tendencies...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Ah, Pandora, what have you shown me this week?

Terrorvision, Infectious Grooves, and Suicidal Tendencies...
    Wow, you just made me feel a bit old. I remember winning a free infectious grooves CD from the local radio station here in denver by being caller 10 when I was 12 or 13. Suicidal tendencies is from my youth as well. Good stuff.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I picked up a CD at Shake It Records on Monday after hearing a story about it on NPR Sunday morning as my wife and I were driving our son's stuff up to OSU (he'd gone up the week before for a conference).

They interviewed jazz bassist Charlie Haden and his family about his newest album, Rambling Boy which is bluegrass. Apaparently Haden as a child performed with his family on various Midwestern Hayride type locals radio show. He began on those shows as a two year old yodeling cowboy (and they have a cut of him on this album).

Besides Haden himself on bass, he's joined by his three daughters who perform as The Haden Triplets, his son Josh, his wife and a mix up jazz, rock & country performers. His friend Pat Matheny does a couple of cuts, along with Elvis Costello and Bruce Hornsby with a cut each. From country, Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs, Roseann Cash and Dan Tyminsky (of O Brother Where Art Thou fame) sing and play. One song is his son-in-law, Jack Black, singing on "Old Joe Clark".

All in all, its a nice little album.

I found this nice review on a blog sight called Something Else!

http://www.somethingelsereviews.com/...-boy-2008.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Anybody on here besides me listen to Bebo Norman?
    Yes. He's got some good stuff. We do a few of his songs at our church during our P&W time.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Besides Haden himself on bass, he's joined by his three daughters who perform as The Haden Triplets, his son Josh, his wife and a mix up jazz, rock & country performers.
    I don't know that much about the Haden sisters but I do know that they show up ALL over the place, individually I mean. Incredibly talented and their musical skills seem pretty in demand. I have several a capella songs by Petra floating around on my itunes and they're pretty good.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I don't know that much about the Haden sisters but I do know that they show up ALL over the place, individually I mean. Incredibly talented and their musical skills seem pretty in demand. I have several a capella songs by Petra floating around on my itunes and they're pretty good.
    Here's more on the whole family and the album project from an article in the New York Times. It talks about the number of different acts they work with.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I have several of Haden's jazz album's I like bluegrass, so I will have to check this one out!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Matt Duke - "True Ohio Playa"

Matt Duke is a law school graduate from the University of Akron who, while studying for the bar exam, wrote and produced his own rap album. It's either the worst rap album ever, or the funniest rap parody I've ever heard.

Songs include such gems such as these:

"I went to the MAC machine the other day / I looked at the balance, what did it say? / It said: one zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero / zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero / zero."

"When you go away, it's like the great schism / When you come back, I get priapism"

"1 and 1 don't make two, 1 and 1 make 11, Which is exactly how much and how hard I'm going to love you on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest"

"My #1 skill is having things / My #2 skill is wearing bling (aww yeah, I got some icy bling)"

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...50073&s=143441
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Here's a link to Todd Snider's facebook page with 4 songs due for release nest month, if anyone is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Todd-Snider/24348889238
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?