Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soriano batting leadoff

Soriano batting leadoff

Just for the record, Alfonso Soriano and his sterling .224 OBP has been leading off for the Chicago Cubs... who just happen to have the best offense in the league statistically speaking. I know they lead in runs scored, and I believe they also lead the NL in OBP.

I don't always like Dusty's lineups, but the point I'm trying to make is, we have a bunch of poor hitter's. And when that's the case, you can write that baby out any way you want to, it's just not gonna make a difference.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Soriano batting leadoff

it's because Soriano pouts when he doesn't bat leadoff(and he was out the 2.5 weeks when they were doing all the winning).

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    it's because Soriano pouts when he doesn't bat leadoff(and he was out the 2.5 weeks when they were doing all the winning).
    The point is my friend, if we bat C-Patt first or seventh, we still have a cruddy offense

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    The point is my friend, if we bat C-Patt first or seventh, we still have a cruddy offense
    not an excuse for not maximizing one's odds.

If I were sweet Lou, Soriano would bat 5th or 6th and Fukudome and his .443 OBP would be leading off.

If you're a one man army going up against the Chinese military, you can try and maximize your odds as much as you'd like, but it's not going to matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    If I were sweet Lou, Soriano would bat 5th or 6th and Fukudome and his .443 OBP would be leading off.
    And then when Fukudome falls to Earth?

The mastery of a lineup isn't reacting to what a player's performance has been in the past week or two, it's maximizing that player's performance for the upcoming week or two.

It's real easy to say that Fukudome's .443 OBP would fit in real well at the top of the lineup. But do you think he'll do that for the rest of the season?

A game of percentages within situational probabilities where batting averages, on base percentages, slugging percentages and win loss percentage rain supreme.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

cincrazy- Patterson is no Soriano. Even if the OBP is roughly the same, Soriano will give you more production over the course of a year. To point to a .244 OBP through 2 weeks of a season is using a pretty small sample size. Soriabo is by no means an on base machine, but 30 plus homers a year beats Patterson's pathetic numbers.

Really the argument should be whether Patterson even deserves to be starting in a majpr league lineup at all.

Especially when one has been somewhat of a fixed procedure producing a less than desirable performance in a climate of adversity where other options and their possible outcomes have seen a very limited exposure making it difficult to definitively say.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And then when Fukudome falls to Earth?

The mastery of a lineup isn't reacting to what a player's performance has been in the past week or two, it's maximizing that player's performance for the upcoming week or two.

It's real easy to say that Fukudome's .443 OBP would fit in real well at the top of the lineup. But do you think he'll do that for the rest of the season?
    No, almost no one does, But there's no past MLB history to go on with Fukudome. If they had reason to believe they were signing a high OBP guy in the first place, then they'd have no reason now to think otherwise. Soriano has a full 7+ seasons of MLB history to go on, and in exactly one of those seasons did he ever have an OBP over .350, and just barely at that. It's still just astonishing to me that the Yankees somehow came to the conclusion that this particular player should play 2B and bat leadoff.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

At last check, Fukudome had chased the least amount of pitches out of the strikezone than any other player in major league baseball. I doubt if he continues to hit .342 all year but with his great plate discipline I see no reason why he won't continue posting an OBP around .400. I've probably watched him bat 15 times at least, and the only time I remember him swinging at a bad pitch was when Volquez got him to chase a nasty changeup down and in for a strikeout.

Lets just bat the pitcher first, then blame the players when it fails.

Excellent.
    Go Gators!

Cincrazy has an exceedingly valuable point. It's the players, not the order.

Yeah, but batting a guy with a .263 OBP leadoff isn't helping things.

Turn Off Ads?