Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baker says Arroyo may be hurt. Arroyo Disagrees.

Baker says Arroyo may be hurt. Arroyo Disagrees.

I think Bronson should "humor" all of us and get checked out. For the sake of the sanity of the team, and us fans.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baker says Arroyo may be hurt. Arroyo Disagrees.

He should get check out, what does he have to lose? It won't hurt anything, and only confirm that it's not a physical problem.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Maybe he's bucking for a trade.....
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

This is why I am against pitchers getting incentive contracts for innings pitched. In this case, I don't think Bronson has incentives for that but just in general I'm against it. A guy pitches bad and he hides the injury to get those incentives.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Maybe he's bucking for a trade back to Boston.....

Conspiracy Theorists made me edit your line, TC.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The saving grace-it's only been a little over 30 innings pitched.....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I hope he's hurt, because if he isn't we have a bigger problem.

So I say check him out. Find out for sure and take appropriate action.

Tomorrow.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

he is doing his Milton imitation Remember he kept saying he was fine and getting hammered? he then later admitted he was hurt (his knee).... And I have been to two games that Arroyo pitched this year and he was throwing so much sidearm and most of his sidearm pitches were in the 70-76mph range! and only hit 89 mph 3 times i saw in two starts throwing fastballs!!!! To me he is hurt!..!

Bronson will not do himself or the team any good the way he is pitching now. There is nothing wrong with a preliminary checkup.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The saving grace-it's only been a little over 30 innings pitched.....
    That's true... I'm not going to pretend to ignore the absolute bashings Arroyo has taken so far, but I always thought Arroyo's success would mainly hinge on his K rates. In that he's always had reasonable control, so that's not something I felt he would suddenly lose... and this season the complaints on Arroyo have almost completely been built upon "stuff" issues as opposed to control problems.

Anyways, the fact his K rates are not appreciably different from his previous seasons, that there is still some hope for a rebound back to his more normal levels. I find it hard to believe that a guy can strike out a similar amount of batters as usual, with far less stellar stuff.

Perhaps the K rates are due to plummet, and that's more coincedence than anything else, or maybe it's random variance and bad defense getting the best of Bronson. My take is that it's somewhere in between... in that he's due for a string of much greater success, but not to the same degree as the rest of his Reds' tenure.

Another thing with Arroyo that I have noticed is that he seems to be a pretty streaky/complex fellow. Last year, he had a pretty major slump (perceived as being related to the mismanagement by Narron) that resembled his current streak (btw, I was fortunate enough to witness 2 of his stinkers live!) before working through the problems, and eventually getting back to his norm. During that particular slump, many (including myself) agreed that his offspeed pitches had less bite, and his fastball less zip.

My point being that he's done this before... just not as the beginning of the season which always makes things magnified to the millionth degree. Now things aren't looking very bright right now for Bronson, but I think there's evidence to suggest that he can still ge back to being a useable rotation member.

I just wish the guy would get a haircut....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Bronson will not do himself or the team any good the way he is pitching now. There is nothing wrong with a preliminary checkup.
    Nope, it's cute when players want to play hurt but more often then not they hurt their team.
    Go Gators!

If Arroyo is not hurt, than he is just finished.

Before he came to Cincinnati Arroyo had thrown thrown 588 innings in parts of 6 big league seasons. He then proceeded to throws over 450 innings in 2 season, mostly under the watch of Jerry Narron. With his slight frame and the amount of breaking balls he throws, it was a recipe for failure.

Even if there is nothing structurally wrong with him, he should go on the DL just to give his arm some rest. He has had a 2-3 MPH drop on his fastball, and his breaking balls have had no bite on them this year. It's nice and all for Bronson to be a stand up guy and take the blame for pitching awful, but eventually common sense should take over.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldnít do it." - Brad Kullman

Baker saying they want him to get a checkup is a polite way of saying he's sucky sucky.

"Baker says Arroyo may be hurt"..... maybe we read that sentence wrong... maybe he's predicting his future.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?