Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Andy Marte

Andy Marte

may be designated soon. I've been an advocate of taking a flier on him for a while. Could step into a Keppinger-esque role with Kepp himself in the everyday lineup. He's a 24 year old former top prospect with a right handed bat with a lot of upside. And he currently plays for Cleveland. Brandon Phillips-lite?

--
    www.mlbtraderumors.com

Indians May Designate Marte or Michaels
    Outfielder Ben Francisco will join the Indians for Tuesday's game against the Yankees. The Tribe will have to make room for him by then, and Mike Harrington believes the jobs of Andy Marte and Jason Michaels are at risk. Marte could be designated for assignment, while Michaels might just be released.

Michaels, 32, has been awful in 21 games this year. He earns $2.15MM this year. Michaels typically hits lefties well, but he's been an easy out this year.

Marte, 24, is out of options and would have to clear waivers if the Indians try to demote him. The formerly well-regarded prospect has only 16 plate appearances on the year. He made the team after hitting .204/.333/.519 in 54 spring ABs.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Andy Marte

If he can bad cheaply then I would definitely pick him up. The Reds always seem to get lucky with these types of pickups - Brandon Phillips, Josh Hamilton, Jose Guillen, etc.

Didn't he come up through the Braves? If I remember correctly, they were high on him from what I remember, but since they had Chipper, they traded him to Boston for Renteria.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Marte can be straightened out. Absolutely pick him up, give him a personal tutor and we'll see him in July.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Didn't he come up through the Braves? If I remember correctly, they were high on him from what I remember, but since they had Chipper, they traded him to Boston for Renteria.
    Yep, and then he got traded to Cleveland for Coco Crisp. Very similar story to Brandon Phillips, except that he was the centerpiece of two high-profile trades. Not saying he's going to save the franchise, but he could be a no-risk/high-reward type guy. And at this point, it looks like the Reds are going to need a LF pretty soon.

Too bad he looks like more of a Krivsky special than a Jocketty one.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Marte can be straightened out. Absolutely pick him up, give him a personal tutor and we'll see him in July.
    Hopefully not Brook Jacoby :
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd definitely be interested in Marte.

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Hopefully not Brook Jacoby :
    Chris Chambliss would be good. Oh, wait...we got rid of him.

Turn Off Ads?