Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bray to Louisville, Weathers activated

Re: Bray to Louisville, Weathers activated

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Weathers' contract won't look that prohibitive to the Tigers/Yankees in about two months--it's only got one year left...
    Tigers just DFA'd Jacque Jones.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Everyone needs to chill out... you are forgetting that with Bray we have 3 lefty relievers in the bullpen... thats completely unnecessary whether Bray is one of our top reliever or not...

Weathers was our closer last year... and an effective one at that. People have a short memory. He is valuable as a set up man... he was hurt early on.

The only way Bray stays is if Merkcer goes... and I don't think you push Mercker into retirement when Bray was not that sharp in his three appearances. Affeldt will not go and shouldn't... he has been one of our more reliable relievers.

We don't need 3 lefties, we needed a reliever who could pitch innings, and Bray still could use some polish (and has options)... three strikes and ur in AAA

Weathers looked great tonight. Hope he's back. We can use him.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

As a Cincinnati Red, Bill Bray as an ERA over 5.00.

In his 4 IP since recall, he as a WHIP over 2.00. Yet he's supposed to get every benefit of the doubt (and then some) because he struck out a bunch of never-will-be's in AAA?

I love the guy, and I still believe he'll end up contributing to the next good Reds team, but let's stop pretending he's earned a prominent spot in the bullpen. He's yet to earn anything. He's still ALL potential.

There are quite few outrageous things going on with this Reds team (one of the slowest players in the league is currently batting 2nd and covering a fraction of a patch of grass in RF), but sending Bray to AAA is hardly outrageous based on his (lack of) performance in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Don't see the point of this.. Wayne kept Bray down in Louisville in favor of Coffey. Jocketty brought Bray up and sent Coffey down.

Now Jocketty is forced to send Bray back down due to the bad contract Wayne gave to Weathers. In addition, Wayne's signing of Fogg also eats up another roster spot.

Mercker and Lincoln are producing. The Reds can't afford to release them. Bray was marginal when he was up here. No big loss to send him down to AAA (And I thought the same about Wayne's decision to leave him in AAA).
    This is the worst and lamest excuse I've ever heard. Wayne is gone. If Jocketty isn't a fan of these people...all he has to do is DFA them. Wayne isn't going to say no. Bray's striking out 4 in 4 IP was marginal? Compared to Weathers striking out 4 in 16 IP? Wow, glad you're not a scout for the Reds or evaluating talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis View Post
    Yet he's supposed to get every benefit of the doubt (and then some) because he struck out a bunch of never-will-be's in AAA?
    No, it's because he has struck out a bunch of major leaguers. In 46 IP with the Reds, 41 K.

There are quite few outrageous things going on with this Reds team (one of the slowest players in the league is currently batting 2nd and covering a fraction of a patch of grass in RF
    Ironically #2 on the web gems our Mr. slow RF. and #1 was felix going over the wall taking HR #598 of our sucky 2nd hole hitter - Just having fun!

C. Trent mentioned that Bray had pitched in the last 3 games before he was demoted. He was pretty much unable to pitch for a couple of days afterward. Bray had options and unfortunatly he was the easiest one to send down. He will be the first one called up again when a pitcher is DLed or released.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    No, it's because he has struck out a bunch of major leaguers. In 46 IP with the Reds, 41 K.

Exactly.

And adding to that, he's a 24-year old former 1st round pick with a ton of upside.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    This is the worst and lamest excuse I've ever heard. Wayne is gone. If Jocketty isn't a fan of these people...all he has to do is DFA them. Wayne isn't going to say no. Bray's striking out 4 in 4 IP was marginal? Compared to Weathers striking out 4 in 16 IP? Wow, glad you're not a scout for the Reds or evaluating talent.
    Do you really think Jocketty is allowed to just start DFAing anyone he pleases without Bob signing off?

I would hope so if he is really our general manager

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    A few productive weeks from Weathers could make him nice trade bait for the likes of the Yankees or Tigers.
    I certainly hope we'll finally be showcasing a healthy David Weathers to move him by the trade deadline.

Weathers gave us some solid years, but his future isn't with us. Let's get a piece to help the future puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Do you really think Jocketty is allowed to just start DFAing anyone he pleases without Bob signing off?
    You don't think Jocketty can DFA Kent Mercker if he wants or Mike Lincoln? Those guys make peanuts.

As a Cincinnati Red, Bill Bray as an ERA over 5.00.

In his 4 IP since recall, he as a WHIP over 2.00. Yet he's supposed to get every benefit of the doubt (and then some) because he struck out a bunch of never-will-be's in AAA?

I love the guy, and I still believe he'll end up contributing to the next good Reds team, but let's stop pretending he's earned a prominent spot in the bullpen. He's yet to earn anything. He's still ALL potential.

There are quite few outrageous things going on with this Reds team (one of the slowest players in the league is currently batting 2nd and covering a fraction of a patch of grass in RF), but sending Bray to AAA is hardly outrageous based on his (lack of) performance in the majors.
    My thoughts exactly. Bray has "progressed" from prospect to suspect IMO. He's never really been any good since the Red's acquired him. Jon Coutlangus was a better lefty and he is a fringe loogy at best. Bray needs to take a serious step forward.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    You don't think Jocketty can DFA Kent Mercker if he wants or Mike Lincoln? Those guys make peanuts.
    Agreed there. I was referring more to Weathers getting DFAed.

Turn Off Ads?