Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Foul Ball Etiquette

Re: Foul Ball Etiquette

LMAO, they had best be ready for a 6'3" 225 pound body check.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I caught one in (probably) 1968 at Crosley Field. Tony Cloninger was pitching and Johnny Briggs fouled it off. There were two distinct finger marks on the ball like Cloninger had been using pine tar or something. Richie Allen must have struck out three or four times that night.

I have caught probably four or five more at double A games in Little Rock and Portland, Maine. I remember a guy catching one at a Sea Dogs' game and giving it to my youngest son. It was a very classy act.

I was watching a game (probably a Rangers' game) a couple of summers ago. A ball went into the stands and a guy, probably in his late twenties-early thirties, actually snatched the ball away from a kid. After it was replayed on the big screen over and over, the crowd started chanting, "Give the kid the ball! Give the kid the ball!" The guy sat there and refused. Even his girlfriend or wife had to get up and leave, yet he still refused. Later, the kid was flown to New York and appeared on one of the early morning national shows (maybe The Today Show), and he received tickets to a Yankee game and a duffle bag full of goodies.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I've never caught a foul ball, but I was once hit in the head by a piece of toast in Charleston.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I've never caught a foul ball, but I was once hit in the head by a piece of toast in Charleston.
    That probably made for a better story anyway. :

I got my first foul ball last year at GABP vs. the Phillies (the game where David Ross grounded into the 5-4-3 triple play). Jeff Conine hit it into our section in the club seats. A number of people in front of me and to my left fought over it, but it eluded them and quietly came to rest at my feet. So I reached down and claimed it! Since was the first foul ball I had ever even been close to (in 72 MLB games), I wasn't about to give it up. It is still prominently displayed on my desk.

However, in the future, I would either keep the ball and give it to my brother's little boy when I got home (if a Reds player hit it), or give it to a well-behaved kid at the park (if an opposing player hit it). The only exception is that I will keep the first one I catch on the fly for myself.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Join the club. Back at old Watt Powell Park? Unfortunately, i had my then 5 year old with me and I turned around to see him eating the toast. I grabbed it out of his mouth immediately. "Strike Three! You're toast."

Loved going tok see the Charleston ball club. Been to the new stadium? Nice.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    The kid, of course. But you wobble a bit as you pass by the ladies seat and bump into her saying "pardon me, but I just got off my yacht and I haven't got my land legs back yet"

I see that you play Fantasy Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Join the club. Back at old Watt Powell Park? Unfortunately, i had my then 5 year old with me and I turned around to see him eating the toast. I grabbed it out of his mouth immediately. "Strike Three! You're toast."

Loved going tok see the Charleston ball club. Been to the new stadium? Nice.
    A couple of times. I got to see Ryan Braun right after he came up, and a few others who have a chance of being heard from. I'll have more time this summer than usual (I was both working full time and taking 15 graduate hours last summer) and hope to get to a few more games.

My close encounter with the toast came at Watt Powell a few years back when I'd worked late and was too tired to drive, so I stopped at the park and was unwisely reading during the game. I didn't even see it coming.

btw, I understand Blackstone strongly advises against eating the toast.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I see that you play Fantasy Baseball

Oh yeah.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I had one tossed to me in the stands and gave it to my son. Just a ball...

Turn Off Ads?