Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foul Ball Etiquette

Foul Ball Etiquette

With all the talk about the Reds losing ways I thought a distraction might be in order.

In my life I have been to several major and minor league baseball games. In all of those games I have never caught a foul ball. I have watched several foul balls caught in close proximity to where I have been sitting. Some of these balls have been caught in a scrum and others have been caught with little or no problem. So my question is this: Is there any etiquette in catching a foul ball?
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fall Ball Etiquette

Let the debate begin...

In this corner "Give it to the Kid"

vs

"Every man for himself"

I want a fair,clean fight, now touch gloves.

Use anything you can to your advantage.

Whether it's sending some elbows flying, hip checks, full out body checks, boxing out, a single or double leg takedown, an arm bar, a choke (triangle, rear naked, guillotine, etc.) ... use anything. Don't be afraid to throw women and children on the floor, in the aisle, or anywhere that's out of your way. And definitely be willing to sacrifice body and limb by flying across several rows of seats to land the ultimate prize.

Mostly kidding aside*, just be in the right place at the right time and able to make the play.

It also doesn't hurt to know how to read fly balls if you're in home run territory in the barren wastelands of the GABP outfield seats during the month of September.

* I say mostly kidding because all the above will apply on historic home run balls, such as a Junior Griffey #600 ball.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Re: Foul Ball Etiquette

FWIW, some of the greatest scrums I ever saw were at Tiger Stadium.

In left field on the lower level, Tiger Stadium had a wide sidewalk/concourse area immediately behind the wall and in front of the first row of seats. During BP, swarms of people would circulate around that concourse. Everytime a BP ball would come flying, it would be a massive pile-up going after each ball. It would pretty much look like a big jump ball followed by a big goal-line stand if the ball bounced around on the ground. People were diving on each other on the hard concrete and loving every bit of it.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Let the debate begin...

In this corner "Give it to the Kid"

vs

"Every man for himself"

I want a fair,clean fight, now touch gloves.
    Give it to the kid.

Any self-respecting adult just doesn't need a foul ball that bad. Have some class and dignity!

On the other hand, as Cyclone pointed out, all bets are off for historic home run balls. That, sir, is a totally different animal.
    sorry we're boring

A baseball costs, what, $5 or $6 retail? Not worth a fight.....nuff said.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    A baseball costs, what, $5 or $6 retail? Not worth a fight.....nuff said.

MLB balls are more like $13, but you're right- not worth it.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Boo me if you must, I'm selfish, I just don't see myself giving a kid I don't know a ball I catch. Mark me down for every man for himself.

I've gotten three, one at a Reds game (Bichette fouled one into the booth and Marty pointed and dropped it into my glove when I was like 12) and two at Dragons games.

I'm done. If I ever get another one, it's going to a kid near me, or best case scenario, an attractive, single female...

I'll go after it in an attempt at an ounce of glory, but I'm not going to fight for it or push over a pregnant woman or anything.

If it comes right to me, I keep it. If there's a scrum with a kid involved, the ball goes to the kid.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Personally, if a foul ball is hit at me, I'll hide behind the kids. I'm too valuable for anything to happen to me.

I'd throw it back, it's a freaking baseball not gold.
    Go Gators!

I think this thread is freaking ridiculous. Not offense to anyone participating in it, but is there so little going on that we have to discuss foul ball etiquette?

Forgive me. It's late, i'm old, and I want to discuss tonight's game, but there is no thread to discuss it in. Call me bitter.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I think this thread is freaking ridiculous. Not offense to anyone participating in it, but is there so little going on that we have to discuss foul ball etiquette?

Forgive me. It's late, i'm old, and I want to discuss tonight's game, but there is no thread to discuss it in. Call me bitter.
    Get off my lawn!

Joking aside I am sure you have a few foul ball stories in your files WV. After a rough start to the season a distraction (slump buster) is needed for us to keep our sanity.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Ive probably been to over 200 games at Crosley and Riverfront and have been close to a couple but never got to one. Last August I traveled up from Florida with my 13 year old son and his best friend to see a game at GABP for the first time.We saw Harang beat the Dodgers on Weds and returned Friday night to See the Pads. The game moved on to the 11th inning I believe when we were fortunate enough to get behind the Reds dugout for the Reds final at bat. I sat 2 rows behind my son and his friend when Dunn the final batter of the game fouled a wicked shot that looked like it was headed for me so I ducked by instinct. the ball hit a seat and went right down under my sons seat. He came up with it and I couldn't believe it. But then an adult asked to see the ball and wouldn't give it back right away. I yelled at the guy and started toward him and he then gave the ball back to my son. He had told my son that since he wasn't supposed to be sitting there that he was keeping the ball.As he gave it back he said that he was only kidding but I promise you that had I not been there he would have kept that ball.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Turn Off Ads?