Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foul Ball Etiquette

Re: Foul Ball Etiquette

Follow-up question:

Give the ball to the lady, or to the kid sitting nearby?
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Follow-up question:

The kid, of course. But you wobble a bit as you pass by the ladies seat and bump into her saying "pardon me, but I just got off my yacht and I haven't got my land legs back yet"

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I caught one a few years ago and I gave it to a kid. It's a baseball, not a pearl.

That doesn't mean I don't relish the opportunity to catch one. I'll knock over a blind nun holding a baby in her arms if I need to. I'll step on a lady's hat. I'll knock over the beer guy. I'll smash your nachos and cheese. Get over it- it's not cheese anyway. I'll knee you in the gut and poke your girlfriend in the eye, because I need that ball more than you. Then I'll give it to that kid. It's just a baseball.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I've never caught one.

A few years ago I went to a minor-league game here in Nashville, with seats right behind the plate. My daughter was four at the time, and I don't even remember what the issue was -- spilled drink, untied shoelace, with kids it could be any of a million things -- but I was kneeling in the aisle attending to something with her standing next to me. Then I heard ball meet bat, then I heard/sensed/saw out of the corner of my eyes everyone around us rising to their feet and I just knew that ball was coming right down on top of us. Didn't have time to look, just gathered in my little girl to protect her. The ball hit her seat and bounded several rows back. Would have been an easy catch under normal circumstances.

Of course, she's impatiently awaiting the day when another foul ball is hit right to us.
    Not all who wander are lost

Follow-up question:

Another good question: What equipment is allowed? I have been at several games where people have brought nets and gloves with them. To me the only person who should use a glove is a kid, and absolutely no nets.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I have two. One for going to the bathroom. Wendall Magee roped one in Arlington that actually went down the tunnel, and one at Wrigley that was given to my son by Micheal Barrett as he walked off the field.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Another good question: What equipment is allowed? I have been at several games where people have brought nets and gloves with them. To me the only person who should use a glove is a kid, and absolutely no nets.
    I agree, no gloves, no nets. Only kids younger than middle school age should be able to bring the leather to the ballpark.

I've seen Cyclone go all out for a foul ball during BP, so I can attest to his dedication to the ball in the air. Quite amusing to watch, actually.

As for giving it to a kid or a lady, if you're with a lady, give it to her. She can then give it to a kid, if she wants. If you're not with a lady, give it to a kid, but make sure the ladies are watching you give the ball to the kid.

I've caught two balls in my life. The first was during batting practice when I was about 6 years old and John Wetteland took three throws to get the ball up to where I was sitting. The first two were knocked out of my glove by my mom who was trying to get it for me. The second one I caught I was about 16 and I cheated. I had just snuck down into the blue seats and not a pitch later a Milwaukee Brewer lined one right at me and I snagged it bare handed.

I say only give the ball to a kid if one of three conditions are met: if he or she is actively engaged in the game, if you have talked with the kid prior to catching the ball, or if you knock down the kid while trying to catch it. If I catch a ball, I'm not giving it to a kid who is only worried about his cotton candy and who makes me stand up every inning because he has to go to the bathroom. I don't think you have a duty to seek out a kid to give a ball to. Also, I'd say no gloves after the age of 14...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I have 5. I *might* make an exception for a really cute kid, or maybe handicaped child or something. Otherwise bugger off. I caught it, I keep it. *

And no gloves over the age of 15. You look stupid.

* it helps that my father has caught 3 of the 5 and promptly gave it to a kid....his.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Follow-up question:

Good question. Depends on how cute the lady is and who she is with. If she's with you, giving it to the kid may endear you to her. If she's by herself or with a lady friend, give it to her with your phone number.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Ended up with a few "outfield" warmup balls (Kearns I think), but I have never actually snagged one during gameplay.

Closest calls:

Closest I ever came to a foul ball was actually in Wrigley Field. Howard Johnson fouled it straight back over the screen behind home plate. It tipped off my fingers and rolled under the seat in front of me; which, was occupied by a 8-9 year old kid. I deferred and he ended up with the ball.

During the 1998 home run chase, I was in Cinergy for a Cardinals game late in the year (it was actually the day after McGwire broke Maris' record). Big Mac was hitting BP before the game and I swear the stands had at least 20,000 people in them already. We were sitting right on the left field foul pole--but in the upper deck. McGwire hit at least 3 balls into our section of the red seats. The first one landed in my row and it was on. I never got the ball, but I was beaten all to hell. I mean--bruised ribs, scabbed elbows, etc... You would have thought I was in a car wreck.

My friend and I were actually just arriving to our blue seats (Cinergy) when a Brave hit a foul ball into our section. I think it was the 2nd pitch of the whole game. Both of us were holding two beers apiece and the ball was coming right for us in the aisle. My friend reached up with one of his cup-hands and tried to "cradle" the ball inside 16 oz of Coors Light. What a mess. The poor guy in front of us was completely soaked from head to toe.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

I've never caught one but if I do someday have one hit in my direction and have the good fortune to snag it, you can sure as hell bet I'm not giving it to some snot-nosed punk.

EDIT: If I'm with a girl with whom I've yet to "close the deal," I might **MIGHT** give it to her if I think it'll put me over the top.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-06-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Never caught one.

Where we sit, we usually only get pop-ups. Going up to get one is like getting a NBA rebound in traffic, i.e. 5-7 pairs of hands go up for it. If I got one of those, I'd keep it.

If its me and a kid going for the ball and I get it, I'd probably give it to him.

Our season tickets are on the aisle between sections 127 and 128, row 7, which is where the Reds file in and out of the dugout. After the Reds come off the field, a whole pack of kids flock down the aisle begging for a ball. If a player has it, he usually gives it to a kid.

Pay attention to the open sky

I was at a game one time where this was this dude who was EXTREMELY wasted... well, he had been yelling for players to give him a ball the entire game as they were going off the field, one player--can't remember who--tossed the ball to some kid who caught it in his glove... this guy runs over, grabs the ball out of the glove and runs up the aisle, laughing his ass off. A couple guys chased him... dunno if they ever caught him or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Often you will see someone in a bordering section come in and try and snag a ball in your area. What are some of the feelings in regards to another fan (4 or more seats over) invading your personal space for a ball.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?