Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clutch problems

Clutch problems

CLUTCH?

The Reds can't get a big two-out hit. They were hitting .125 with runners in scoring position and two outs entering Sunday. That was the worst in baseball. The New York Mets, at .171, were second worst.

I knew the Reds were struggling in this department, but .125? That is simply horrible.:thumbdown
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 05-05-2008 at 11:44 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Clutch problems

Hey, we're up to .135 after yesterday.

The peripheral numbers are just as ugly: .244 OBP, .198 SLG. No home runs, zip, zero. And that's in 127 plate appearances as a team with RISP/two outs.

The .244 OBP is the one to look at, though. It means when a Reds hitter has come to the plate with a runner on second and/or third and two outs, three times out of four it's been inning over.
    Not all who wander are lost

That will turn around eventually, luck and all that.
    Go Gators!

Just to put it in context

NL average

.229/.342/.358/.701
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Clutch does not exist. The team is just sucking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    That will turn around eventually, luck and all that.
    I've been waiting the better part of 8 years, and I'm still waiting for it to turn around

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Clutch exists, but yeah, they do kinda suck right now.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Yep. That's why you can just plug in any great middle reliever and make him a closer. People just stand out there and play the way they always play with no regard to score, situation or anything else.

Jon Broxton would be a great closer. So would Rafael Betancourt.

Haunted by walks

Clutch is the absence of choke.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

While these numbers are not good I think they are a bit overquoted by the media types.

Yesterday Dunn hits a 2 out, 2 run homer in the 3rd inning. Since no runners were in "scoring position" it doesn't help these numbers out at all (for Dunn or the team as a whole), but it was a pretty important turn of events for the Reds.

GL

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This stat is just the definition of stupidity.

The team stinks because they can't score runs no matter how many outs there are in the inning.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    While these numbers are not good I think they are a bit overquoted by the media types.

Yesterday Dunn hits a 2 out, 2 run homer in the 3rd inning. Since no runners were in "scoring position" it doesn't help these numbers out at all (for Dunn or the team as a whole), but it was a pretty important turn of events for the Reds.

GL
    Why I prefer WPA which values every situation independently. A two-out RBI single while losing 9-1 is hardly clutch either (but it would count for that stat)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Of course, clutch exists, silly. It's just not predictive of future clutch. But as a description of past events, it is what it is.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I don't think you can predict a clutch event, in that the situation is one described as clutch and player X delivers. I think you can identify players that are more likely to deliver in said situation. The problem is it's a two-fold clutch event. The situation is also clutch for the guy on the mound. That's why it is so hard to predict.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Of course, clutch exists, silly. It's just not predictive of future clutch. But as a description of past events, it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't think you can predict a clutch event, in that the situation is one described as clutch and player X delivers. I think you can identify players that are more likely to deliver in said situation. The problem is it's a two-fold clutch event. The situation is also clutch for the guy on the mound. That's why it is so hard to predict.
    Sounds like a great play to me.

Great players tend to make great plays more often than non-great players, but non-great players can make great plays on occasion, just more infrequently than great players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?