Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weathers Goes to Bat for Teammates--Calls Out Brantley?

Weathers Goes to Bat for Teammates--Calls Out Brantley?

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2..._for_teammates

After working out at Great American Ball Park on Sunday, Reds reliever David Weathers was driving back home and heard WLW’s broadcast of the Reds' 14-7 loss to the Braves.

Weathers was activated from the disabled list before Monday’s game and told a local TV station he had heard Jeff Brantley talk about his teammates quitting and he disagreed.

"The only thing I said is that if it's this easy to play baseball, he should find a uniform. Nothing elaborate," Weathers said after Monday’s 5-3 victory over the Cubs. "Basically, I was taking up for my teammates."

The Reds came into Monday's game losers of five straight, but Weathers didn't believe it was for lack of effort.

"I heard some comments on the radio that he said some guys were quitting and I didn't feel that way," Weathers said. "It's easy to say that when things are going tough for a team, it's easy to dogpile. I felt like he was doing that. Me and Brantley are good friends, and he knows that. We take a lot of pride in what we do. Sometimes when you hear things about your teammates -- and I've been on the DL watching and listening and all those type of things -- sometimes you have to defend your guys. I don't feel like we have anyone quitting. Do we have guys struggling? Yeah, but we don't have anyone who quit."

Brantley went to the clubhouse after the game to discuss the situation with Weathers in person. Weathers said he was "half-serious" about his comments before the game, but more importantly, wanted to protect his teammates.

In his 18th season in the big leagues, Weathers is one of the team’s most vocal leaders. After ending his 15-day disabled list stint for an ulnar nerve irritation in his right elbow earlier in the day, Weathers took action on and off the field to help out the Reds.

With the Reds holding a 5-3 lead in the eighth inning, Weathers got a flyout and stirkeout to the first two batters he faced. Last season's closer then gave up a two-out double to Cubs catcher Geovany Soto, but struck out Mark DeRosa for the final out of the inning and turned the game over to closer Francisco Cordero.

"It felt great to be out there in a winning situation," Weathers said. "I feel bad for Cordero, that's only his fifth time to go out there (for a save) and I didn't want to blow an opportunity for him. … We'd lost five in a row and since we were playing the Cubs, everyone assumed it would be six in a row. We get tired of saying it, but let's build off of it and grab some momentum, because it doesn't get any easier this month, that's for sure."

With the win, the Reds moved percentage points ahead of Pittsburgh for fifth place in the six-team NL Central.

The Reds handed Cubs starter Ryan Dempster -- a former Red -- his first loss of the season. Dempster surrendered five unearned runs -- two from a two-out two-RBI single by Jeff Keppinger in the first and two more on a two-run home run by Adam Dunn in the third.

Johnny Cueto pitched six effective innings, allowing six hits, three runs and striking out eight Cubs, while Cordero struggled to close the game out, loading the bases twice, but didn't give up a run. After walking Alfonso Soriano to lead the bases the first time, a ball got away from catcher Paul Bako, but Cordero covered home and was able to tag Mike Fontenot on a close play at home for the second out of the inning. After walking Ryan Theriot to reload the bases, Cordero got Derrek Lee to ground out to first, where Joey Votto just beat Lee to the bag, to seal the win.

"I was over there trying to be cool, but inside you're churning," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "David Ross at the end of the game said, 'Man, I was more nervous sitting over there than being in the ball game.' I said, 'Try sitting in my seat. That's how it is every night.' That was a good game to win, that would have been a devastating loss right there."

After the game, as Cordero was talking about how he struggled, and was vowing to do better, Dunn walked by and spoke to his closer.

"It doesn't matter, we won," Dunn told him. "Smile."

Cordero did. Beause, finally, the Reds had reason to smile, if only for one night.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weather Goes to Bat for Teammates--Calls Out Brantley?

I've defended Weathers before, and probably will again. He's been counted out more often than Rocky but he keeps on getting it done in his own "Stormy" way. Now he goes and gives me one more reason to like him. I hope the Reds do trade him, though, to open a spot for young arms to come, to add another prospect or two, and I hope it's to a WS contender. Stormy deserves it, and a decent prospect in return could be one last way for him to help the Reds. If Detroit climbs back in it, or NYY want to bolster their pen he might bring more than expected.

Well done, David Weathers. Leadership in the clubhouse, much appreciated.

Nice job by Weathers. And he pitched well last night, too.

I really appreciate what he's done for the club the last few years.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Man Pills

David's career might be over, but I definitely respect his indignation. Much appreciated.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I'm all for sticking up for your teammates.... Why are you leaving the ballpark while the game is in progress? DL or not you should be in uniform on the bench.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I'm all for sticking up for your teammates.... Why are you leaving the ballpark while the game is in progress? DL or not you should be in uniform on the bench.
    Because he was in Cincinnati working out while the Reds were getting hammered in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    David's career might be over, but I definitely respect his indignation. Much appreciated.
    Yep, I wish more players would call out our "dream team" of broadcasters who imply the Reds are losing because they don't care.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Yep, I wish more players would call out our "dream team" of broadcasters who imply the Reds are losing because they don't care.
    Absolutely. Depending on the roster that night, the dream is a nightmare.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Brantley signed with the Reds as a FA prior to the 1994 season. 1994-1996, he pitched about 200 innings of 2.5 ERA ball. Was out injured most of 1997.

After the 1997 season, he was dealt to the Cardinals for Dmitri Young.

Bowden's counterpart in St. Louis who pulled the trigger on that deal?

Walt Jocketty.

Weathers continues to be my favorite Reds player. I wasn't thrilled when the Reds acquired him, never thought he would close games for them. But he has been a tremendous pitcher for them and a real stand up guy.

I think his comments are a good lesson to all the young players on the team about supporting your team and your teammates when the chips are down.

And in addition to all of this, he looked pretty good out there in the eighth inning last night, maybe he's still got enough in the tank to help for another year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Because he was in Cincinnati working out while the Reds were getting hammered in Atlanta.
    I was making fun.... I know DL players do not travel with the club. I should have used one of those smiley faces.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I was making fun.... I know DL players do not travel with the club. I should have used one of those smiley faces.
    DL players do sometimes travel with the team.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Yea, you should have. I thought you were serious too. Hopefully, this win is a sign of the team catching a few more breaks. Granted, they haven't been playing great baseball, but they seemed to be getting more than their fair share of tough breaks in the past week or so. We'll see...

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    DL players do sometimes travel with the team.
    Only with permission of the club. I can remember during the Larkin vs. Allen days, Barry being unable to travel with the club even though he wanted too.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?