Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question for runners/foot doctors

Question for runners/foot doctors

If I'm lucky enough to receive any intelligent responses, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, I ran a mini-marathon a couple weekends ago (April 26th) and I still have an nagging pain on the left side on my left foot, towards the bottom. This same injury happened last year after a mini, but it was a lot worse.

I took a week off from running last week because it was really sore and I thought it finally healed up.I ran yesterday and it's hurting again. Is the problem my shoes? Running style? Any clue?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question for runners/foot doctors

You may want to check out plantar fasciitis. I had a similar situation several years ago. I could barely walk the day after playing softball. I researched my symptoms then went to a foot doctor who confirmed it was PF.

Check this out and see if it matches your problem -http://orthopedics.about.com/od/foot.../fasciitis.htm

What kind of shoes are you running in? There are some specality stores that fit your foot to a shoe. Other than that I planter fasciitis is what I hear from runners a lot. You may want to get it checked out to make sure it isn't a fracture somewhere in your foot.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    If I'm lucky enough to receive any intelligent responses, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, I ran a mini-marathon a couple weekends ago (April 26th) and I still have an nagging pain on the left side on my left foot, towards the bottom. This same injury happened last year after a mini, but it was a lot worse.

I took a week off from running last week because it was really sore and I thought it finally healed up.I ran yesterday and it's hurting again. Is the problem my shoes? Running style? Any clue?
    It's possible that it's a stress fracture. I went through a series of stress fractures in my right foot (almost directly under the ball of my foot, a little towards my heel), and my podiatrist did have me put more heavily cushioned inserts in my distance and training shoes to give a little padding to where my foot would hit when I landed on each stride.

If the problem lingers more than a month after the mini, get to a podiatrist to get it checked out. If you don't already have one, I recommend Dr. Mike Regan in Montgomery. His office is directly across the street from Moeller.

I'd get it checked out by a doc.

I'll also give you my perspective on long distance running.

My wife has been an avid runner for, oh, about 25 years. I've known her for half that span. Here's my standard response when she starts talking about aches and pains:

"Maybe your body is trying to tell you something. Maybe you don't need to run 1/2 marathons, marathons, or 40+ miles/week."

For the long term, I'd say that if doing the occasional 10k isn't enough, then you really need to consider switching to something like biking or swimming.

Your body will thank you for making the switch.

I had a similar problem with my last shoes. They really, really hurt, and the pain was about as you described. Well I broke down, and bought a pair of Jordans, and now my feet feel fine.

Turn Off Ads?