Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco, Parker to Dayton. Frazier to Sarasota. Valaika to Chattanooga

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mesoraco, Parker to Dayton. Frazier to Sarasota. Valaika to Chattanooga

Per DDN

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spdragons.html

In addition to Frazier moving up, reserve infielder Brett Bartles was sent to extended spring training. Joining the Dragons today will be catcher Devin Mesoraco, the Reds' No. 1 pick in last summer's draft, and first baseman Logan Parker, who was rehabbing an injury. Parker was here last season. Both additions have played only in extended spring games so far.

The article also notes that Chris Valaika is heading to Chattanooga.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 05-07-2008 at 02:25 AM.

Re: Mesoraco, Parker to Dayton. Frazier to Sarasota

Good to see the Reds didn't waste much time moving Fraizer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Re: Mesoraco, Parker to Dayton. Frazier to Sarasota. Valaika to Chattanooga

I'm not sure I agree with the Mesoraco promotion. Seems a bit premature, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the Mesoraco promotion. Seems a bit premature, don't you think?
    Not really. He has been hitting very well in Ext ST according to all reports. I think a lot of people put entirely too much stock into his season last year with his injuries.

He's still really young. I just don't feel like there's any need to rush him, but if they think he is ready, then okay.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    He's still really young. I just don't feel like there's any need to rush him, but if they think he is ready, then okay.
    He turns 20 in June.... not exactly young. Certainly not old, but he isn't 18 or anything.

19 now though and I feel like the high school draftees should be coddled more. Especially when their rookie ball effort wasn't exactly inspiring. Extended spring training is cool and all, but I put less weight into that.

Either way, we'll see soon enough if it's the right/wrong decision.

I'm leaving for Sarasota today for vacation and was hoping that Frazier would be there in time for my trip. I will be at the games Thursday and Friday. It comes at the expense of missing Valaika, but Frazier is the player I wanted most to see. The vacation is off to a great start!!

Yeah, push the bats, coddle the arms. I like the promotions. Frazier may struggle a little more than expected intially as it is quite the leap to high A but I think he adjusts quickly.

Don't most high school picks made high in the draft start out in Dayton during their first full season of ball? I thought that was the route for Bailey, Bruce, Travis Wood, etc... If the kid was talented enough to be picked in the first round, he should be talented enough to play for the Dragons this year. I'm excited to see how he performs.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Don't most high school picks made high in the draft start out in Dayton during their first full season of ball?
    Yes...basically all first round picks start the first full season in Dayton. Ryan Wagner was the last not to.

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    Yes...basically all first round picks start the first full season in Dayton. Ryan Wagner was the last not to.
    Stubbs did have about 250 PAs in Billings. While it wasn't his first full season, it was still a significanlt amount of appearances.

I like it. I take it this is Jocketty's first move in handling the system and I like the more aggressive approach. Now to get Cumberland to AAA and, hopefully, Cody Strait not too far behind him, and maybe to start clearing out some of the career minor league types.

I was kinda hoping Frazier to help lead the Dragons to the First Half championship.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I was kinda hoping Frazier to help lead the Dragons to the First Half championship.
    It helps though that a lot of other Dragons have come around. Reed, Jones, Phipps, Cozart, all have been hitting well lately. Frazier and Waring carried the team early, but it's been the supporting cast lately.

Turn Off Ads?