Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco, Parker to Dayton. Frazier to Sarasota. Valaika to Chattanooga

Re: Mesoraco, Parker to Dayton. Frazier to Sarasota. Valaika to Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Those who saw the game in Dayton Thursday night had to be more than a little concerned with what they saw of Mesoraco behind the plate. To say he struggled receiving pitches would be a major understatement. The ball was constantly clanking off his glove. Fastballs above the belt were bouncing off his glove like they were rubber balls. He did not look like a professional. Granted, he was catching guys that he has possibly not seen much of, but it was hard to watch at times. You have to wonder about the fact that he probably has very little experience catching pitchers who throw at the speeds he will be seeing at the pro level. If he does not dramatically improve on Thursday's performance, they simply won't be able to keeping putting him back there. They will have to DH him or send him back to extended. You would have a mutiny with the pitchers and the pitching coach.
    It was one game and his first real pro game since I don't really count the GCL because it really has no coverage and is all day games. He hasn't seen these guys and will adjust, as well as adjust to game speed on a big level too. Give him time, he's young. Don't judge over one game.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mesoraco is probably still struggling defensively. Most catchers do early in their careers, especially high school ones. The good thing is, he is very athletic and has great hands, so he should be able to improve with time and practice. Like I noted in another thread (could have been this thread... I don't want to look) for those of us in the Dayton/Cincinnati area, next weekends games will be on Cable, so we should get a chance to see him during that time.

Also wanted to note that it was a night game and it honestly could have been his first time playing under artificial light. Another things to think about.

Hopefully if Frazier hits well he's in Chattanooga by July...

I heard part of the game, and they way they described it gave me some concern, but wasn't Thursday his Dragons Debut? If so, that's easily the most fans he's played in front of as a pro, if not ever. I'll give the kid a pass for the first week or so. Doug said the Dragons games were on TV this weekend Friday & Saturday, I plan to watch/DVR those to see him live in action. The jitters should be gone by then, which should give us a better idea of how he handles the catcher position.

Edit: Guess I missed page 3 where all of my concerns/comments were made by others.

Mesoraco has now played 3 games for Dayton. He is hitting .200/.273/.200 for an OPS of .473 so far. (Very small sample size.) It looks like he has given up 2 SBs in 2 attempts.

His stats are available HERE.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Mesoraco has now played 3 games for Dayton. He is hitting .200/.273/.200 for an OPS of .473 so far. (Very small sample size.) It looks like he has given up 2 SBs in 2 attempts.

His stats are available HERE.
    I'm not too concerned about the numbers Mesoraco puts up in Dayton so long as he can stay there all year. If he gets sent back to Billings and fails to tear it up, I'd start to grow concerned.

Next year is the important year to watch Mesoraco and his numbers.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm not too concerned about the numbers Mesoraco puts up in Dayton so long as he can stay there all year. If he gets sent back to Billings and fails to tear it up, I'd start to grow concerned.

Next year is the important year to watch Mesoraco and his numbers.
    I think it's clear Mesoraco will go to Billings when its season starts. He undoubtedly would be at that level now, but there are no games yet. I agree that it would be a good sign if he does well there.

I heard part of the game, and they way they described it gave me some concern, but wasn't Thursday his Dragons Debut? If so, that's easily the most fans he's played in front of as a pro, if not ever. I'll give the kid a pass for the first week or so. Doug said the Dragons games were on TV this weekend Friday & Saturday, I plan to watch/DVR those to see him live in action. The jitters should be gone by then, which should give us a better idea of how he handles the catcher position.
    Last couple games he's had no Es, WPs, PBs or SBs against, for what it's worth. Last night's game was very well pitched (3 hitter, 1 BB, 13 Ks). I have to figure he's holding his own behind the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think it's clear Mesoraco will go to Billings when its season starts. He undoubtedly would be at that level now, but there are no games yet. I agree that it would be a good sign if he does well there.
    I am really curious why you think its clear that Mesoraco will go to Billings when the season starts?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am really curious why you think its clear that Mesoraco will go to Billings when the season starts?
    I almost posted the same thing back when they first made this move. I'm not familiar enough with the protocols on moving players up and down, but I wondered whether they weren't interested in getting him some real-game action until Billings gets under way in July. I certain wouldn't say it's "clear", but it made some sense to me.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I almost posted the same thing back when they first made this move. I'm not familiar enough with the protocols on moving players up and down, but I wondered whether they weren't interested in getting him some real-game action until Billings gets under way in July. I certain wouldn't say it's "clear", but it made some sense to me.
    Yeah, I agree with this. I just don't think he's ready for Dayton yet. He shouldn't skip an entire level, especially since he didn't prove he was dominant in rookie ball.

I just figured he showed them enough in extended spring training to make them think he was ready for Low-A.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with this. I just don't think he's ready for Dayton yet. He shouldn't skip an entire level, especially since he didn't prove he was dominant in rookie ball.
    He isn't showing he is overmatched at all in Dayton albeit just 11 times to the plate. Skipping rookie ball is not a big deal at all. Lots of guys never even play in rookie ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He isn't showing he is overmatched at all in Dayton albeit just 11 times to the plate. Skipping rookie ball is not a big deal at all. Lots of guys never even play in rookie ball.
    More times than not, this happens if it's a college player or an "elite" talent. I don't think Mesoraco has proven that he's that, at least yet. As you said, 11 times at the plate. That's not really a big enough sample size either way. Look, if he dominates or shows consistency between now and then (both offensively AND defensively), I'm all for keeping him in Dayton. I think given that he's a high school player, he would benefit more from developing in a lower level, though.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    More times than not, this happens if it's a college player or an "elite" talent. I don't think Mesoraco has proven that he's that, at least yet. As you said, 11 times at the plate. That's not really a big enough sample size either way. Look, if he dominates or shows consistency between now and then (both offensively AND defensively), I'm all for keeping him in Dayton. I think given that he's a high school player, he would benefit more from developing in a lower level, though.
    He didn't really show he was overmatched last year. He had a solid walk rate and a very respectable strikeout rate in the GCL last year. He played hurt as well for almost all of the season with two injuries on separate hands. I just don't think there is any harm with keeping him in Dayton unless he shows he is clearly overmatched (striking out a ton and not walking much at all). I don't think that is going to happen though because he covers the plate well and has a good understanding of the strikezone.

Turn Off Ads?